Winston DeLattiboudere Commits!

I wonder why this kids visit was suppose to be kept under wrap. Maybe Kill didn't want word getting out that he was after this particular recruit.

can someone explain the whole 16yo thing? Is he just that smart and moved up some grades or what? he looks nasty for being 16.

fwiw, my cousin went to this HS, pretty small suburban school, mostly a lacrosse school. I could see recruiters overlooking a prospect from there.
I also wonder if they didn't play this one close to the vest so a wedly estime situation didn't happen like in 2011

You can't watch his film and not be really impressed with his motor, size, and potential. Looks like a really nice pick-up at a position of need for this class.

This have any impact on Milan?

No. Milan is a DT and will choose between us and Illinois.

Whitfield or Smiley will likely take the last spot at OLB. I'd bet on Whitfield at this point.

202283.jpg

A stretch at best. In Kill we trust.

What seems to be a stretch is that he was so much under the radar. I don't think we can grey shirt him since we should have a slot available for him this fall but that would be the best scenario.

Despite his lack of offers, I really like this commitment, welcome aboard!

No. Milan is a DT and will choose between us and Illinois.

Whitfield or Smiley will likely take the last spot at OLB. I'd bet on Whitfield at this point.

There was good new this late afternoon on the 247 web site. Milan received another prediction that he will be a gopher buy Dan Meyer at 1:44 pm today. Since it is a very late vote by Dan I hope that means he has a good reason to make this very late prediction.

watched the clip. i cant tell much but the level he played they had a hard time blocking him. He seems fast as the kids if smaller should be faster but he ran a few of them down.
he fought through several double teams but my guess is the competition is not great.

he did dominate this level and if he is 16/17 years old Coach Kline can build some muscle on an already strong kid it should be interesting in a few years!

247 just gave him a grade of 86 which is tied for the 4th highest grade of a gopher commit.

247 just gave him a grade of 86 which is tied for the 4th highest grade of a gopher commit.

So, they just graded him now? I'm guessing 247 was caught off guard at this commit, just as we were. I'm assuming this grade is off the video highlights we all just watched tonight.

So, they just graded him now? I'm guessing 247 was caught off guard at this commit, just as we were. I'm assuming this grade is off the video highlights we all just watched tonight.

Contrary to popular belief recruiting sites don't rank every prospect just because. They have a individual team sites and when the guys that run those team sites hear about a prospect they'll give the rankers or whoever a heads up so they can evaluate them. This kid was under the radar so the rankers probably didn't know who he was until the MN site tipped them off then they checked out his film like they do every other prospect

Welcome Winston!

I am happy he is a Gopher commit. I am curious in 2015 how he does not have offers. He has a highlight tape.
He has very impressive stats. He is the Baltimore defensive player of the year. He's athletic and plays hard.
Nobody grades him? Why? And then he commits and 247 instantly makes him our 4th highest rated recruit.
Similar to Still and his instant ESPN ranking and no offers.

So hats off to the Gopher coaches but why are these guys not rated prior to commiting with their physical abilities very evident? Neither guy played 9 man in obscurity. So if the services don't rate them our coaches are the only ones with balls enough to offer? But why did the services ignore them in the first place based on the size, athletic ability, highlight tapes, stats, awards etc?

Seems really weird to me these guys are not sought after. Most all of who trust our eyes would recruit them if they have the grades to get in school and are not in detention daily or worse. I'm sure that's all cool or we wouldn't be recruiting them, so it just doesn't add up to me.

I really like this kid.

He probably didn't have a ton of offers because of his size. He lacks ideal size and likely strength. So there is a risk. You can't just say, hey add 45 lbs and you're ready to go. There is always a concern that if he adds size, he'll lose his explosiveness (his biggest asset). It's likely more of a risk with a 6'2"/6'3" kid like DeLattiboudre than it is a guy like Cockran. At 6'6", it's much easier to expect someone to be able to add 50 lbs while maintaining athleticism.

With his tape and production, I doubt we were the only Power 5 school to be looking at him near NSD.

Because of his age, he really reminds me of Duke Anyanwu. Duke turned 18 in the middle of September of his FR year at the U. So he's even 6 months older for his grade than DeLattiboudre. However, getting into a college weight room at 17 really is going to help this kid. Duke went from a HS QB to a guy who will probably be 6'5" 260 lbs (most likely starting TE). They have different frames, but 6'3" could easily be 6'5" and 215 could easily become 255-265 lbs. If he can maintain his explosiveness, he'll be a monster.

Awesome get. Welcome to the Gophers young man. At 17 he should be able to grow a little more and I can't wait to see how strong he gets after working with our conditioning coach. This guy could be a monster! He sure looked dominating in that video.

After re-watching his highlight video, I have two words:

HEAT SEEKING MISSILE!

Of the human variety.

I was 16 yo my senior year (turned 17 year old in late November) and by no means was that smart. My parents just started me in kindergarten early. It is not common, but does happen.

can someone explain the whole 16yo thing? Is he just that smart and moved up some grades or what? he looks nasty for being 16.

If Kill and the defensive staff felt he was a good enough prospect to extend a scholarship offer to, then I'm on board. I'm way past doubting this staff's ability to identify talent/potential, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Yeah, same thing. Don't know when his birthday is, but like Denver_Gopher, I had a fall birthday and only turned 17 after a full month of my senior year (was in college at 17 for two months!). Pretty common for kids who have early- to mid-fall birthdays.

I really like this kid.

He probably didn't have a ton of offers because of his size. He lacks ideal size and likely strength. So there is a risk. You can't just say, hey add 45 lbs and you're ready to go. There is always a concern that if he adds size, he'll lose his explosiveness (his biggest asset). It's likely more of a risk with a 6'2"/6'3" kid like DeLattiboudre than it is a guy like Cockran. At 6'6", it's much easier to expect someone to be able to add 50 lbs while maintaining athleticism.

With his tape and production, I doubt we were the only Power 5 school to be looking at him near NSD.

Because of his age, he really reminds me of Duke Anyanwu. Duke turned 18 in the middle of September of his FR year at the U. So he's even 6 months older for his grade than DeLattiboudre. However, getting into a college weight room at 17 really is going to help this kid. Duke went from a HS QB to a guy who will probably be 6'5" 260 lbs (most likely starting TE). They have different frames, but 6'3" could easily be 6'5" and 215 could easily become 255-265 lbs. If he can maintain his explosiveness, he'll be a monster.

He could probably be used in spots if he just gets to 230. The great Mizzou DE Shane Ray is only like 240, and came out of h.s. at 220.

He could probably be used in spots if he just gets to 230. The great Mizzou DE Shane Ray is only like 240, and came out of h.s. at 220.

Maybe he could play linebacker. That's the great thing about our staff, they will find the right position for him.

I am happy he is a Gopher commit. I am curious in 2015 how he does not have offers. He has a highlight tape.
He has very impressive stats. He is the Baltimore defensive player of the year. He's athletic and plays hard.
Nobody grades him? Why? And then he commits and 247 instantly makes him our 4th highest rated recruit.
Similar to Still and his instant ESPN ranking and no offers.

So hats off to the Gopher coaches but why are these guys not rated prior to commiting with their physical abilities very evident? Neither guy played 9 man in obscurity. So if the services don't rate them our coaches are the only ones with balls enough to offer? But why did the services ignore them in the first place based on the size, athletic ability, highlight tapes, stats, awards etc?

Seems really weird to me these guys are not sought after. Most all of who trust our eyes would recruit them if they have the grades to get in school and are not in detention daily or worse. I'm sure that's all cool or we wouldn't be recruiting them, so it just doesn't add up to me.

Clearly the sites can't rank every recruit but I do agree that it is strange when a kid that is winning awards and doesn't seem to be living in the middle of nowhere doesn't get evaluated. Also seems odd when a kid like that has no other reported offers (edit - Rivals does show a couple but they are not on the same level as us). Clearly the staff sees something there to offer a scholarship so I guess we will wait and see if they were right in a few years.

Top Bottom