Winning the west

I believe this scenario would result in five teams all being 5-4.

Michigan over Illinois
Wisconsin over Nebraska
Minnesota over Iowa
Purdue over Northwestern
Illinois over Northwestern
Wisconsin over Minnesota
Indiana over Purdue
Iowa over Nebraska
What sucks the most is the Hogs and the Skunks both still play the Cornholers.

Realistically the West is down to 3 possible winners. Purdue, Iowa, or Minnesota. Next week will eliminate either Iowa or Minnesaota.

I know technically Illinois still has a shot but they are not beating Michigan, especially if Brown is out and he looked like he did something to his ankle or Achilles right at the end of their Purdue game, it did not look good at all.

Purdue has far and away the easiest path schedule wise.

Is it correct to say that nobody controls their own destiny at this point?

Purdue wins out but loses the division if Iowa wins out.
Illinois wins out but loses the division if Purdue wins out.
Minnesota wins out but loses the division if Purdue wins out.
Iowa wins out but loses the division if Illinois wins out.

I don’t see a scenario where anyone can win out and clinch without help because a 3 way tiebreaker would still require the help of a 3rd team to win out.
Yes, If we beat Iowa next week and Purdue beats NW, then Purdue will control their own destiny.

Realistically the West is down to 3 possible winners. Purdue, Iowa, or Minnesota. Next week will eliminate either Iowa or Minnesaota.

I know technically Illinois still has a shot but they are not beating Michigan, especially if Brown is out and he looked like he did something to his ankle or Achilles right at the end of their Purdue game, it did not look good at all.

Purdue has far and away the easiest path schedule wise.

If you are a true football fan, you can't ask for a more exciting, fun finish to the season.

Yes, If we beat Iowa next week and Purdue beats NW, then Purdue will control their own destiny.
And if we beat Iowa next week and Purdue loses to Northwestern then we control our own destiny.

And if we beat Iowa next week and Purdue loses to Northwestern then we control our own destiny.

That would be really fun.

That would mean we would travel to Madison on the last week of the season knowing that if we win, we are the West champions. The Axe and the B1G West trophy, both on the field at Camp Randall.

In that scenario, do you think the atmosphere in Madison would be electric?

That would mean we would travel to Madison on the last week of the season knowing that if we win, we are the West champions. The Axe and the B1G West trophy, both on the field at Camp Randall.

I assume their fans will stay bought in even with the West out of play for them but who knows.

In the end I really am not all that concerned about the West at this point, I just want the damn trophies. West will take care of itself.

I don't think it would be electric at all. a few years ago, we went to Wisconsin and worked them. They were having about a .500 season and there was little atmosphere at all. That was at the start of the game.

Purdue beating Illinois certainly made it all wide open again in the West. Feels like everyone is fighting for the right to be the team that gets destroyed by Ohio St
Correct on the West Champion being destroyed, but it could just as easily be Michigan.

I don't think it would be electric at all. a few years ago, we went to Wisconsin and worked them. They were having about a .500 season and there was little atmosphere at all. That was at the start of the game.

Okay.

That could have been because before that game Wisky won like 15 straight and the Gophs were around .500 in the BIG again in 2018 (I didn’t look up the actual record) Now it’s again an intense rivalry no matter the record of any team. It will be nuts IMO

Correct on the West Champion being destroyed, but it could just as easily be Michigan.
Very true, but having seen a fair amount of both so far this year Ohio State just seems like the better team.

That could have been because before that game Wisky won like 15 straight and the Gophs were around .500 in the BIG again in 2018 (I didn’t look up the actual record) Now it’s again an intense rivalry no matter the record of any team. It will be nuts IMO
In the cold when they are playing like crap after all of their years of success. I doubt it. When we beat them a few years back it was as if they wanted the season to end. Maybe us beating them last year up the ante some. I just don't see it being nuts. Score first, and you'll hear a pin drop.

I assume their fans will stay bought in even with the West out of play for them but who knows.

In the end I really am not all that concerned about the West at this point, I just want the damn trophies. West will take care of itself.
Correct. Victories against IA and/or WI are their own rewards. Winning both the Pig and the Axe hasn’t happened since 1990.

In the cold when they are playing like crap after all of their years of success. I doubt it. When we beat them a few years back it was as if they wanted the season to end. Maybe us beating them last year up the ante some. I just don't see it being nuts. Score first, and you'll hear a pin drop.

If the West is on the line, it will be insane. If the Sconnies are out of the race and their fans lose interest, you'll see a lot of maroon and gold in the stands. In that scenario, Gopher fans will gobble up any tickets the front-runner Badger fans want to sell.

If the West is on the line, it will be insane. If the Sconnies are out of the race and their fans lose interest, you'll see a lot of maroon and gold in the stands. In that scenario, Gopher fans will gobble up any tickets the front-runner Badger fans want to sell.
Wisconsin is out of the race.

Correct!

Mathematically? You sure?
I am sure there may be some crazy scenarios left but the reality is that they are done. Loser of MN/Iowa is done and Illinois has to beat Michigan or they are done.

I am sure there may be some crazy scenarios left but the reality is that they are done. Loser of MN/Iowa is done and Illinois has to beat Michigan or they are done.

I guess you're assuming Purdue wins out, then?

I guess you're assuming Purdue wins out, then?
That is the most likely scenario. But I think it is a 3 team race and after next week it will probably be down to 2. Illinois would have to pull a shocker at this point to beat Michigan so it comes down to Purdue, Iowa and Minnesota. At least one of those teams will finish 6-3 thereby eliminating Wisconsin and Illinois (after Michigan game) from the picture.

That is the most likely scenario. But I think it is a 3 team race and after next week it will probably be down to 2. Illinois would have to pull a shocker at this point to beat Michigan so it comes down to Purdue, Iowa and Minnesota. At least one of those teams will finish 6-3 thereby eliminating Wisconsin and Illinois (after Michigan game) from the picture.
Okay, but you understand that there is a difference between likely and certain, right?

Okay, but you understand that there is a difference between likely and certain, right?
*sigh*. Yes I understand that we probably can't say that Wisconsin is 100% eliminated from winning the West right now.

So if I end up being wrong feel free to call me out on it when I say that Wisconsin is done in terms of winning the West.

Maybe Illinois finds a way to pull the upset against Michigan, if they do that makes things even more messy in the West but I just don't see it happening. Especially if Brown is badly hurt which it sure looked like he was at the end of the game.

*sigh*. Yes I understand that we probably can't say that Wisconsin is 100% eliminated from winning the West right now.

So if I end up being wrong feel free to call me out on it when I say that Wisconsin is done in terms of winning the West.

Maybe Illinois finds a way to pull the upset against Michigan, if they do that makes things even more messy in the West but I just don't see it happening. Especially if Brown is badly hurt which it sure looked like he was at the end of the game.
I'm certain I'm not winning the next power ball, but there is still a chance.

I'm certain Wisconsin is not winning the west, but there is still a chance.

Everyone knows what you mean, but there is always one or two posters that has to get cute.

"Get cute" = understand the difference between certain and likely.

Purdue will lose 1. It will come down to us winning at Wisconsin.

Top Bottom