Winning at a .700 Clip

Since that Illinois loss in 2018:

Finished season 3-1 (2-1 in Big; 1-0 vs Ga Tech)
Went 11-2 in 2019 (7-2 in Big)
3-3 in Covid season
4-2 so far; 2-1 in Big

.666 in Big in that period
Txs. Great info and trend lines tell the tale and that is some great data - wowza!

Since that Illinois loss in 2018:

Finished season 3-1 (2-1 in Big; 1-0 vs Ga Tech)
Went 11-2 in 2019 (7-2 in Big)
3-3 in Covid season
4-2 so far; 2-1 in Big

.666 in Big in that period
Nice trend, but to nit pick we lost four games last year

Txs. Great info and trend lines tell the tale and that is some great data - wowza!
Has been fun to watch the evolution of the defense. Under Smith it was a nightmare, when the change to Rossi was made it was shocking to see the drastic change from one game to the next.

2020 was rough at times with all the new faces and the lack of practices to get them ready, but you could clearly see the improvement happening over the course of the season.

D has been a lot of fun to watch in 2021. Got off to a bit of a rough start against Ohio State and had the rough 3rd quarter against Miami Ohio but outside of that the defense has been really good for the majority of the season. Not statistically dominant but anyone watching the games can see the D playing at a really high level and coming up huge in many key situations.

The transfers Fleck brought in on that side of the ball have been game changers. Pinckney and Martin have helped turn the D-line from a weakness into a strength and Gibbens is all over the field making plays at LB.

Has been fun to watch the evolution of the defense. Under Smith it was a nightmare, when the change to Rossi was made it was shocking to see the drastic change from one game to the next.

2020 was rough at times with all the new faces and the lack of practices to get them ready, but you could clearly see the improvement happening over the course of the season.

D has been a lot of fun to watch in 2021. Got off to a bit of a rough start against Ohio State and had the rough 3rd quarter against Miami Ohio but outside of that the defense has been really good for the majority of the season. Not statistically dominant but anyone watching the games can see the D playing at a really high level and coming up huge in many key situations.

The transfers Fleck brought in on that side of the ball have been game changers. Pinckney and Martin have helped turn the D-line from a weakness into a strength and Gibbens is all over the field making plays at LB.
He is a great coach - amazing how much and fast it changed as well as my lifetime if mostly dread when watching D on the field. Pas rush is cool and a safety!! it - is excellent - I think he’ll play on Sundays with that size and speed. I drew. Line through the OSU game as they’ve thrashed teams better than ours and against BG we were flat and unprepared, but a necessary lose as I think we stay lazer focused the rest of the way!

Not counting the COVID year (which I said at the outset of 2020 I was I was disregarding), Gophers are 14-4 vs P5 teams since then (.778 clip)

W vs Purdue by 31
L vs Northwestern by 10
W @ Wisconsin by 22
W vs G Tech by 24

W @ Purdue by 7
W vs Illinois by 23
W vs Nebraska by 27
W @ Rutgers by 35
W vs Maryland by 42
W vs Penn State by 5
L @ Iowa by 4
W @ Northwestern by 16
L vs Wisconsin by 21
W vs Auburn by 7

L vs Ohio State by 14
W @ Colorado by 30
W @ Purdue by 7
W vs Nebraska by 7

The defense has also improved dramatically since the Ohio St game to start the season. I really don't like opening up against any BIG team, especially a BIG powerhouse.

The defense has also improved dramatically since the Ohio St game to start the season. I really don't like opening up against any BIG team, especially a BIG powerhouse.
OSU's defense looked pretty shaky to start the season. If we have them as a crossover in a given year, I think I like our chances in week 1 as well as I do in any week (especially when we have a multiyear starter under center and they are breaking in a new QB).

I absolutely hate these made for TV early season conference matchups. Thankfully it doesn't look like it is going to be an every year thing going forward.

some perspective:

took over a 9-4 team (.692)

Kill in 2013/2014 was 8-4, 8-4 (.666)

Iowa 2018 to now: .756
WI 2018 to now: .625
NW 2018 to now: .536

some perspective:

Should we bring back kill?

Changing DC vastly improved the team.
I put the BG loss and a few others in our OC.

some perspective:

What exactly is that perspective supposed to show?

And Fleck did not take over a 9-4 team talent wise, he took over a team that finished 9-4 the year before he took over. Some might not see a distinction in that but there absolutely is one. When your QB choices are Connor Rhoda, Demry Croft or a true freshman Tanner Morgan you don't have a 9 win team on your hands. 2017 was going to be a rough year no matter who was in charge.

What exactly is that perspective supposed to show?

And Fleck did not take over a 9-4 team talent wise, he took over a team that finished 9-4 the year before he took over. Some might not see a distinction in that but there absolutely is one. When your QB choices are Connor Rhoda, Demry Croft or a true freshman Tanner Morgan you don't have a 9 win team on your hands. 2017 was going to be a rough year no matter who was in charge.

Honestly, the posters that keep harping on "inheriting" a 9-4 roster can't be actual fans of this program.

Last edited:

some perspective:

The problem with the 9-4 season, is that this was seen as the peak of what the Gophers under Claeys was going to give us. OL leavings, QB gone, half of defense gone and no recruits coming in to immediately correct the ship. We would be respectable and then have the 1 in 4 year 9-4 or 10-3 season. This is no disrespect to Kill and Co. They got the Gophers respectable, which was no small feat. PJ has us competitive every year and in good shape to win our division every other year. Plus, with recruiting is getting us to a place where the peak could be even higher.

Honestly, the posters that keeping harping on "inheriting" a 9-4 roster can't be actual fans of this program.
The trope needs to die -- maybe they see it the same way as the Coyles but it doesn't read like that.

The trope needs to die -- maybe they see it the same way as the Coyles but it doesn't read like that.
It is one of the fallbacks for the trolls and the handful of actual fans that still can't stand Fleck and want to see him fail because they just can't stomach his personality (that group has gotten a lot smaller as time has gone on).

It is one of the fallbacks for the trolls and the handful of actual fans that still can't stand Fleck and want to see him fail because they just can't stomach his personality (that group has gotten a lot smaller as time has gone on).
I don't really care for his buzzwords -- but what has really grown on me is how much other people in the division hate him.

I don't really care for his buzzwords -- but what has really grown on me is how much other people in the division hate him.
Fleck's way of talking and his personality will always rub some the wrong way. But back when he was hired there was a group that was actively hoping he failed so that we could get someone else. I don't think that group is very big at all at this point. But there will always be a couple holdouts, pining for the past or a coach who is more low key.

Celestin,
Honestly, the posters that keeping harping on "inheriting" a 9-4 roster can't be actual fans of this program.
Honestly, the posters that keep harping on running down players and coaches that gave blood, sweat, and tears for the Maroon and Gold can't be actual fans of the program.

Demry Croft and Seth Green both could have been very capable quarterbacks in a run first, limited passing attempts, limited passing route offense, which is what PJ has shown is what he likes to run.

Having Rodney Smith (NFL), Shannon Brooks, (2,290 career Yards) Kobe McCrary (little bit of NFL) and Jonathan Femi Cole (CFL) wasn't bad.

PJ likes big, veteran olines that he can pair with big blocking TEs.

He started with a bunch of returning oline starters, upper classmen including Greene (NFL), Calhoun (lower level pro ball), Weyler, Wright and Connelly...Dovich and Oseland offered some nice veteran depth. Talented RS frosh ready to go included Schlueter and Olson. Blaise Andries was a true frosh recruit committed when he arrived.

Wozniak (NFL) and Lingen added some very capable, experienced upper classmen at TE. Beebe, Witham. Kieft nice depth.

Tyler Johnson (NFL) wasn't a bad guy to have at WR. Rashad Still reminds me a lot of Dylan Wright. Eric Carter reminds me of MBS.

Santoso (NFL), Herbers (AllBig HM), Carpenter (AllBig, School record holder), Jordahl not a bad special teams crew to take over.

Admittedly, he wasn't left much on defense with Celestin (NFL), Huff (All Big HM), Huff, Cashman (NFL), Kamal (NFL), Barber (AllBig 3rd, HM), Richardson (NFL-CFL), Stelter (some lower level pro) , DeLattiboudere, Winfield (NFL), Kiondre (NFL), Shenault, McGhee, Ayinde, Durr (AllBig HM x 2), Renner (NFL), Moore, Merrick Jackson.

Program in 2017 was two years removed from multiple sellouts.

Program was just about to move into great new practice, study, dining facilities, which previous staff had pushed, campaigned hard for.

Last edited:

Celestin,

Honestly, the posters that keep harping on running down players and coaches that gave blood, sweat, and tears for the Maroon and Gold can't be actual fans of the program.

Demry Croft and Seth Green both could have been very capable quarterbacks in a run first, limited passing attempts, limited passing route offense, which is what PJ has shown is what he likes to run.

He started with a bunch of returning oline starters, upper classmen including Greene (NFL), Calhoun (lower level pro ball), Weyler, Wright and Connelly...Dovich and Oseland offered some nice veteran depth. Talented RS frosh ready to go included Schlueter and Olson. Blaise Andries was a true frosh recruit committed when he arrived.

Wozniak (NFL) and Lingen added some very capable, experienced upper classmen at TE. Beebe, Witham. Kieft nice depth.

Tyler Johnson (NFL) wasn't a bad guy to have at WR. Rashad Still reminds me a lot of Dylan Wright. Eric Carter reminds me of MBS.

Santoso (NFL), Herbers (AllBig HM), Carpenter (AllBig, School record holder), Jordahl not a bad special teams crew to take over.

Admittedly, he wasn't left much on defense with Celestin (NFL), Huff (All Big HM), Huff, Cashman (NFL), Kamal (NFL), Barber (AllBig 3rd, HM), Richardson (NFL-CFL), Stelter (some lower level pro) , DeLattiboudere, Winfield (NFL), Kiondre (NFL), Shenault, McGhee, Ayinde, Durr (AllBig HM x 2), Renner (NFL), Moore, Merrick Jackson.

Program was just about to move into great new practice, study, dining facilities, which previous staff had pushed, campaigned hard for.
I have trouble believing PJ just didn't play Demry ... and instead went with a walk on just because of preference.

Celestin,

Wow....Credit where credit is due, that is impressive reimagining of what the 2017 roster was.

Your version is relying on a lot of Freshman that developed into good players, a TE you label as NFL which is really misleading and your memory of Rashad Still and Eric Carter is a bit rosier than mine.

But your assertion that Croft and Green could have been capable of running the offense is where you lost me. Neither of those guys is a Big Ten QB....there was a reason they went out and begged Rhoda to come back....and it wasn't because of his talent.

It isn't meant as a dig at those players or the previous coaches but that 2017 roster was not setup for success and if they had kept Claeys the record of 5-7 would probably have been around where they would have ended up as well. The cupboard wasn't bare, clearly, but it also wasn't stocked with players ready to play at a high level in 2017.

It is really shocking there are people that actually believe that 2017 team would have been able to duplicate the 9 wins from 2016. It wasn't going to happen and again that is no matter who the coach was.

Wow....Credit where credit is due, that is impressive reimagining of what the 2017 roster was.

Your version is relying on a lot of Freshman that developed into good players, a TE you label as NFL which is really misleading and your memory of Rashad Still and Eric Carter is a bit rosier than mine.

But your assertion that Croft and Green could have been capable of running the offense is where you lost me. Neither of those guys is a Big Ten QB....there was a reason they went out and begged Rhoda to come back....and it wasn't because of his talent.

It isn't meant as a dig at those players or the previous coaches but that 2017 roster was not setup for success and if they had kept Claeys the record of 5-7 would probably have been around where they would have ended up as well. The cupboard wasn't bare, clearly, but it also wasn't stocked with players ready to play at a high level in 2017.

It is really shocking there are people that actually believe that 2017 team would have been able to duplicate the 9 wins from 2016. It wasn't going to happen and again that is no matter who the coach was.
Especially since some of those guys weren’t coming back if Claeys was

Should we bring back kill?
I think he's saying it's a bit of a distortion to pick out some arbitrary time frame to make something look good.

Kinda like a Nebraska fan that would pick out their record from the "glory days" rather than look at the big picture.

Top Bottom