Winfield Jr. Media Excitement

I believe if they don't sign with anyone they can sit out the year and enter the draft again the next year.
That's correct, but it doesn't happen because the salaries are pretty much slotted by draft position and the possibility of going significantly higher the next year are slim. Not signing with the team that drafted you means delaying the NFL career for a year and then re-entering the same process the next year and likely having a contract for about the same or even less money with no greater control over where you end up, plus the loss of a year's earnings, pension/benefits and service time toward free agency eligibility that you may or may not ever be able to make up. If the XFL catches on and starts offering salaries comparable to NFL rookie deals, the players might gain some more leverage.

Mel Kiper Jr today...first round for AWJr

25. Minnesota Vikings
Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota

Yes, this is the son of that Antoine Winfield, who was drafted by the Bills in Round 1 in 1999 and played nine seasons for the Vikings. The junior Winfield had seven interceptions last season, and while interceptions can sometimes be misleading as a projection tool for prospects, he was more than a ball hawk; he also had 88 tackles, three sacks and two forced fumbles. Winfield showed great range and instincts at the position, and I really liked watching his 2019 tape. Let's hope he's past the hamstring and foot injuries that prematurely ended his 2017 and 2018 seasons for the Golden Gophers. Safety might not appear to be a priority position for the Vikings, but they have salary-cap issues and could lose Anthony Harris to a big offer in free agency.

Mel Kiper Jr today...first round for AWJr

25. Minnesota Vikings
Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota

Yes, this is the son of that Antoine Winfield, who was drafted by the Bills in Round 1 in 1999 and played nine seasons for the Vikings. The junior Winfield had seven interceptions last season, and while interceptions can sometimes be misleading as a projection tool for prospects, he was more than a ball hawk; he also had 88 tackles, three sacks and two forced fumbles. Winfield showed great range and instincts at the position, and I really liked watching his 2019 tape. Let's hope he's past the hamstring and foot injuries that prematurely ended his 2017 and 2018 seasons for the Golden Gophers. Safety might not appear to be a priority position for the Vikings, but they have salary-cap issues and could lose Anthony Harris to a big offer in free agency.
I don’t even think he’ll be left by the time the Vikings are on the board

He’ll instantly become my favorite Viking if they draft him. Spielman obviously knows the family well. He knows what AWjr brings to the table.
After Thielen joined the Vikings and earned his spot, I was extremely excited for Viking football. I went to college with him and watched him play in Mankato. if Winfield Jr. gets drafted by the Vikings, I will probably become close to a diehard fan. If we grab Tyler Johnson in a later round on top of having Winfield, I’ll for sure be a die hard.

With all the needs the Vikings have, of course they'd take a safety! For the love of...................

Sounds like there might be an opening at safety soon. The depth in the secondary is getting pretty thin.
Yeah Anthony Harris might be lost in free agency, and Harrison Smith probably doesn’t have too many seasons left. I could be wrong. I won’t complain with additions to our secondary. I think solid offensive lineman can be found beyond the first round, and that’s probably our one glaring deficiency. It wouldn’t even be that bad if we had a QB that had any semblance of scrambling abilities.

WR might blow next season too. Diggsy deleted all of his Vikings related stuff from his Instagram, so I’m guessing he wants out. He’s turned into a intolerable diva. He can go, as far as I’m concerned. Good thing there are a lot of WRs available this year.

We’re not going to win big with Cousins anyway, so maybe none of this matters. #TankForTrevor

WR might blow next season too. Diggsy deleted all of his Vikings related stuff from his Instagram, so I’m guessing he wants out. He’s turned into a intolerable diva. He can go, as far as I’m concerned. Good thing there are a lot of WRs available this year.

We’re not going to win big with Cousins anyway, so maybe none of this matters. #TankForTrevor

They pay Cousins, Theilen, and Diggs everything...........and Zimmer wants to run the ball.

There is a lot of dysfunction in Minnesota sports!

By the way, I'd gladly go 0-16 for Trevor. Cousins would come off the books and they'd have a ton of cap. That's a pipe dream but I'd do it in a heartbeat.

They pay Cousins, Theilen, and Diggs everything...........and Zimmer wants to run the ball.

There is a lot of dysfunction in Minnesota sports!

By the way, I'd gladly go 0-16 for Trevor. Cousins would come off the books and they'd have a ton of cap. That's a pipe dream but I'd do it in a heartbeat.

A rebuild phase seems to be inevitable in the near future for sure. Unfortunately, they’ll be good enough to win a minimum of 6-8 games, probably. It’s a high floor, low ceiling team.

Offensive and defensive line blow, so let's go safety. Sure, why not?
Yeah at this point, grab players that the Minnesota fan base would rally around. He’d be a big face for the franchise, and it’d be a good bridge between the Gopher fan base and Vikings fan base. Like the guy above me said, we won’t be going anywhere good with Cousins at QB as it is. We can get decent OL and DL guys in the 2nd-5th rounds, at least in most draft years that’s the case.

Top Bottom