Winfield Jr. Media Excitement

I don't follow the NFL draft much, is the downside for Winfield Jr thought to be a size thing?

AWII > AWI. Mark my words.

You heard him. He is bringing home the Superbowl trophy.

Vikings better pay attention.
I hope he ends up a Viking somehow either out of the draft or through trade in a few years. Would love to see him play again.

I hope he ends up a Viking somehow either out of the draft or through trade in a few years. Would love to see him play again.

Yeah, I know it's tough to measure, but the guy is just a playmaker. He is a really good tackler and makes huge plays. I'd love to see him be Harrison Smith's replacement.

Sad to see him go but I think he's going to make us all proud and ultimately be a pro bowl caliber player if he can stay healthy.

Sad to see him go but I think he's going to make us all proud and ultimately be a pro bowl caliber player if he can stay healthy.
I can’t wait to buy a Winfield Jr. NFL jersey. I’ll wear that with pride. As long as he doesn’t end up a Packer

I can’t wait to buy a Winfield Jr. NFL jersey. I’ll wear that with pride. As long as he doesn’t end up a Packer

Vikings - that's all there is that I want. He has swagger and can back it up.

I am afraid that Aaron Rogers is eyeing Tyler Johnson.

Vikings - that's all there is that I want. He has swagger and can back it up.

I am afraid that Aaron Rogers is eyeing Tyler Johnson.
I don’t want any of our guys playing for that team. I’d be so disgusted

Great film study/interview with Winfield. They went over several plays from the last season. He’s going to be very impressive in his interviews with teams, and probably get drafted earlier than most people think.

Great film study/interview with Winfield. They went over several plays from the last season. He’s going to be very impressive in his interviews with teams, and probably get drafted earlier than most people think.

This was a great find...thanks for posting the link. Credit to him for listening to the coaches and paying attention to the film study. He'll be missed....so glad he stayed after the incident. Excited to see the next guys follow in his footsteps back there.

Can players refuse to sign still?
Sure, they can't make you sign a contract, but it's not like you are then a free agent who can sign elsewhere. Players can tell Team X that they don't want to play for that team or try to force a trade if selected. Eli didn't want to play in San Diego and forced a trade on draft day. Elway told the Colts he'd play baseball instead of for them. There are few players with that kind of leverage. Player could go to the CFL or XFL, but the drop in salary is steep. In the end, very few players want to give up their dream of playing in the NFL.

I hope the Vikes pounce on him on the first availability. He won't last on their next pick. He is money in the bank. Don't go by the analytics expert. There are some things that the numbers guys miss sometimes. They will miss on intangibles. Go on gut instincts on this one.

He is one of the Gopher greats.

He has the pedigree, the mentoring from his dad, the excellent film and game prep skills, and instinct and athleticism that will be greatly missed next season. I wish he stayed another season, but that will be very selfish of me.

This is one Gopher that I hope come home to coach for the Gophers under Fleck if he is still the Gophers head coach by then.

USA Today was so impressed with Winfield that they now have them as their 2nd Safety off the board, and #23 overall pick to the Patriots.

23. New England Patriots
Antoine Winfield, Jr. | S | Minnesota

Another safety not named Grant Delpit? Don’t be surprised. Tom Brady’s future is obviously the big question mark, and finding him another pass-catcher could be a priority here if he returns. That said, the Pats need to address their need for youth on the back end of the defense, and Winfield’s combination of physical and mental tools would be a perfect match.

Wow!
First round projections.

That's a bit of surprise with his size but I'll be anxious to watch him wherever he goes.

I’m thinking 2nd round is his floor now. If anything, he’s going to be so impressive in his interviews, that multiple teams will conclude they need him. I wouldn’t be surprised if a team trades up to pick him.

He's got the genes, instincts, and on-field performance but on top of that he's coachable with a maturity bonus. Both are a big plus in the NFL scouting formula.

Kiper's got him in the 1st round now too. The post is behind the paywall, but he's got him going 25 to the Vikings

Sure, they can't make you sign a contract, but it's not like you are then a free agent who can sign elsewhere. Players can tell Team X that they don't want to play for that team or try to force a trade if selected. Eli didn't want to play in San Diego and forced a trade on draft day. Elway told the Colts he'd play baseball instead of for them. There are few players with that kind of leverage. Player could go to the CFL or XFL, but the drop in salary is steep. In the end, very few players want to give up their dream of playing in the NFL.
I believe if they don't sign with anyone they can sit out the year and enter the draft again the next year.

Kiper's got him in the 1st round now too. The post is behind the paywall, but he's got him going 25 to the Vikings

He was sort of off the radar for most of the season, since he had missed so much time. That’s probably why he wasn’t a Thorpe finalist. Now, the draft experts have woken up from their slumber, and are watching the film for the first time.

He was sort of off the radar for most of the season, since he had missed so much time. That’s probably why he wasn’t a Thorpe finalist. Now, the draft experts have woken up from their slumber, and are watching the film for the first time.

The fact that Winfield was not among the 15 semi-finalists for the Thorpe award this year was a joke. He easily should have been a finalist for it.

Would be awesome to see him get drafted in the first round. Hopefully the injuries are behind him and he can have a long successful NFL career. Just sucks that we missed out of most of 2 seasons with him.

He’ll instantly become my favorite Viking if they draft him. Spielman obviously knows the family well. He knows what AWjr brings to the table.

Top Bottom