Willie Mobley signs with New Mexico State, his 4th college

Reaction score
signed with New Mexico State today.

Screw Mobley. He was a 3rd stringer now transferring. Come on man.

Let's change "Where's Waldo?" to "Where's Willie?"

He and Henderson should be poster boys for staying home and playing for the U. Not that either could have contributed, but losing them at the time seemed like a loss. Same for Lydon Murtha. Hope they all have something to fall back on elsewhere.

He and Henderson should be poster boys for staying home and playing for the U. Not that either could have contributed, but losing them at the time seemed like a loss. Same for Lydon Murtha. Hope they all have something to fall back on elsewhere.

I lost track of him, did Murtha play much at Nebraska?

At least he's applying as a graduate student, so at least he got his degree.

I lost track of him, did Murtha play much at Nebraska?

He was a 2 time honorable mention all big 12 player there. Injuries slowed him down but he did play at least a few years in the NFL the last I checked.

I am baffled in the lumping of some of the players on this board.

Murtha and Henderson are NOTHING like Mobley and WLA. It's a terrible comparison.

Murtha had a nice career at Nebraska and played in the NFL.
Henderson is having a nice career at Miami and he WILL play in the NFL.

WLA and Mobley never contributed for a moment in college football. At least Mobley got a degree and played on some teams, WLA never accomplished a single thing. WLA didn't just fail to live up to the hype, he did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Henderson was a FR All American, he' started the vast majority of his games despite being injured for most of his SO season. He was ACC Hon Mention last season. Barring an injury he will be in the NFL after next season. Did he live up to his hype? Nope. But you can't put someone who has accomplished some things in the same category as WLA or Mobley.

As far as not contributed, Henderson would have been the best lineman we've had here since Setterstrom and he might even surpass him next season. Murtha would have also been one of our better OL.

As far as Murtha....It's hard to consider 9 games really playing in the NFL. It should not be a bullet point.

As far as Murtha....It's hard to consider 9 games really playing in the NFL. It should not be a bullet point.

It is more than most college players see, he also started 4 of them as well. Also, the primary reason he isn't in the league still today is because of injuries. He played well when he could stay healthy, he has had some major foot problems. Before the injuries he was either starting or no worse than 2nd on the depth chart. He wasn't a practice squad player who never played.

It is more than most college players see, he also started 4 of them as well.
Agree. Willie Van De Steeg was probably the best Gopher defender in the last half of the 2000s and all he could manage was a short stint on the Ravens practice squad.

Sure it is, especially when you consider the context. The context is that these guys supposedly bombed when they went away to school and therefore they should have stayed home.

How many recent OL have we had in the NFL? The ones who have played 9+ games we all consider to be really good football players and accomplished college players.

When someone argues that Murtha essentially failed in college (comparing him to Mobley), they are bullet points that he started multiple seasons at Nebraska and played in the NFL.

I've met Henderson a few times, he is a real nice, respectful kid, and I hope he does well. He is also a freak athlete. Watched him reverse dunk from a standstill and run like a deer on the basketball court. Wish he would have stayed in MN, but hope the best for him.

How many Gophers in the last 5 years have played 9 games in the NFL?

All his college experience is going to amount to is a lot of facebook friends from all over the country!

Sorry, I meant Gophers out of the program in the last five years. The only two recent guys currently active are Decker and Sherels. Spaeth is the other still active (2007). A few guys have been off and on practice squads and summer camps, and that's about it.

Point being, even a cup of coffee in the NFL is an accomplishment, and I'd take any of those guys we can get.

We also missed out on the great Bryce McNeal didn't we?
He's on his 3rd college as well? At least these kids are getting their degrees and McNeal seems to get it that he has no football future. But the Star Trib column the other day made it sound that our program should just shut down if we can't keep kids from going to Clemson or Boston College.

Also KFAN has been pretty pathetic in their coverage....I mean its great they are reporting on it and are down at the Sota Social, but its tongue and cheek. Little jokes here and there and aren't really taking it seriously. The facts are that a lot of these kids have some pretty nice offer lists. Were they expecting a top 5 class? This isn't the NFL where you can trade draft picks to move up in the draft.

Wow! Glad you weren't my math teacher. Murtha got paid to play professional football during a regular season in the NFL. When you figure that annually there's less than 2,000 people in the country that accomplish that, I think it merits a bullet point. As for why he didn't end up a Gopher, if Mason would have offered Swift, he would have gotten Murtha, but for some reason, Mason didn't think Swift was a Big 10 caliber player and didn't warrant a scholarship.

Too bad about Mobley. Another example of how projection of high school athletes is difficult for a variety of reasons. At least he earned his degree.

Florida college teams are not what they once were. Miami has taken the deepest dive. Henderson chose a stock at the top and rode it to the bottom. His talent aside, he thought he would be playing for National Championships, be on National TV. The games between Florida State and Miami were legendary, now you need to search to find that game. He could be drafted, but I think his highlights were at CDH.

As for why he didn't end up a Gopher, if Mason would have offered Swift, he would have gotten Murtha, but for some reason, Mason didn't think Swift was a Big 10 caliber player and didn't warrant a scholarship.

Murtha was committed until the shock of being exposed to the big city on his official visit (strippers- which either offended him or he enjoyed too much depending on your perpective). My understanding is that Swift and Mortenson were very close friends, Murtha less so. This was somewhat proven by the STRIB story on Swift's tailgating visit (Mortenson set him up with a spot) for the 2011 Nebraska game at TCF.

Nebraska offered Swift very early (after camp as a junior?) as well. I have a hard time believing that Mason chose not to offer Swift.

Top Bottom