Willie Mobley signs with New Mexico State, his 4th college

Murtha was committed until the shock of being exposed to the big city on his official visit (strippers- which either offended him or he enjoyed too much depending on your perpective). My understanding is that Swift and Mortenson were very close friends, Murtha less so. This was somewhat proven by the STRIB story on Swift's tailgating visit (Mortenson set him up with a spot) for the 2011 Nebraska game at TCF.

Nebraska offered Swift very early (after camp as a junior?) as well. I have a hard time believing that Mason chose not to offer Swift.

I know people who were in the room with Mason the day he made his recruiting trip to Hutchinson and he refused to offer Swift.

Florida college teams are not what they once were. Miami has taken the deepest dive. Henderson chose a stock at the top and rode it to the bottom. His talent aside, he thought he would be playing for National Championships, be on National TV. The games between Florida State and Miami were legendary, now you need to search to find that game. He could be drafted, but I think his highlights were at CDH.

He's had a much better college career than people give him credit for. He had unreal expectations, so they haven't lived up to those expectations, but when you just look at his college football career, thus far, he's put together some good football. His derailment is a product of needing a kick in the butt for his work ethic (hopefully, for him, it worked) and injuries.

He had a fantastic freshman season, he got injured his SO season and he had a good JR season. If he can stay healthy, he'll have a good SR season and he will play in the NFL.

As far as his highlights, I guess it depends on what you mean. He was a FR All American, there are a lot of guys who won state championships at CDH that can't put that feather in their cap. He was All ACC Hon Mention, again, most people who played football at CDH can't put that feather in their cap. His CDH days are what people around here will think of when it comes to Seantrel, but he's had greater accomplishments than simply playing for a good HS program.

Well fair enough. A monstrously stupid decision by Mason then.

From Mason's mouth to my hears; He was reluctant to offer kids he felt wouldn't attend the U or who had no offers.

Out of state schools will slow play Mn kids because their is no urgency to offer a kid with no offers. Doing so will automaticly attract the attention of other schools. Mason did not want to put kids who may be flying under the radar....on the radar of other schools, or boost their stock by offering them and then "forcing" the outstate of state schools to declare their interest by offering them also.

Does this work? I don't believe so because like the case of Lauranitis where the U was his best offer; the moment Ohio State offered at the end of his senior season he understandably said "see ya!"

From Mason's mouth to my hears; He was reluctant to offer kids he felt wouldn't attend the U or who had no offers.

Out of state schools will slow play Mn kids because their is no urgency to offer a kid with no offers. Doing so will automaticly attract the attention of other schools. Mason did not want to put kids who may be flying under the radar....on the radar of other schools, or boost their stock by offering them and then "forcing" the outstate of state schools to declare their interest by offering them also.

Does this work? I don't believe so because like the case of Lauranitis where the U was his best offer; the moment Ohio State offered at the end of his senior season he understandably said "see ya!"

If he really believed that, his recruiting strategy was even stupider than I thought. How arrogant of him to think he had uncovered a bunch of hidden gems that other Big Ten schools were just waiting to pounce on as soon as he offered them. If a player was good enough to get an offer from Ohio St. or Michigan or Nebraska, they're going to do it regardless of whether Minnesota was offering. What a moron.

I'm paraphrasing, but I believe another Mason approach was to offer "good players from bad teams." He felt that everyone was always watching the good teams and so that the better kids on the bad teams went relatively unnoticed.

What has been described to me regarding Swift is that he ran a 4.7 40 (says 4.5 at Rivals, but I have been told 4.7) and Mason felt there was no real place for him in the Gopher backfield as an RB. Of course, Swift moved to WR and had a nice little career at Nebraska.

Top Bottom