Will there be 1000 Gopher fans in the stands in Houston?

I too am taking the road trip with my daughter. She is a college student who actually enjoys football. We looked into the flilghts and the CC and those may be well worth the price we could not swing 2000.00 for the charter and to fly it was somewhere around 1500.00. we plan to make the trip somewhere around that 700.00 for the two of us.
My Wife and son due to schedules could not make it this year.

I'm actually driving down the day after Christmas with my 13 year old son. We are leaving the morning of the 26th and getting to about Norman OK. The next day we will drive into Houston for the game. It's about 6 hours from Norman to Houston. I'm not sure if we will be staying in Houston or San Antonio on the 27....but probably somewhere in Houston. The next day we might go to Sea World and then off to San Antonio for a night. Around noon on the 29th up to Dallas to look at the Kennedy stuff and will probably head back up to Norman for the night again. We should be back home the night of the 30th. My car gets about 35 MPG so we shouldn't spend much more than $200 if gas prices are $3.00/gallon. We will bring a case of water and some pop for the ride along with SummerSausage and Cheese and Crackers. I expect the whole trip to cost me less than $700 for everything.

For high energy munchies while driving, stress Triscuits and Raisins with Diet Dew. You will love the Rest Stops, trust me. :)

I do I35 all the time. If you are doing the drive - make a stop for BBQ in Kansas City - take him to Oklahoma Joe's - he'll never forget it. http://oklahomajoesbbq.com/

Do the one on W 47th in KC proper - it started out as a converted gas station. Quite unique.

I really wanted go down, but I can not justify spending about 1000 per person to go to one game.

I really have no interest in hanging out in houston for a few days. Which kinda gets to a point about us not traveling well. If you look at our destinations for bowls in the past 15 years or so, they haven't been great places to go and hang out for a few days and then go to a game. Tempe and Miami aside, but when you go to the same city 3 years in a row is loses some of its luster.

I really wanted go down, but I can not justify spending about 1000 per person to go to one game.

I really have no interest in hanging out in houston for a few days. Which kinda gets to a point about us not traveling well. If you look at our destinations for bowls in the past 15 years or so, they haven't been great places to go and hang out for a few days and then go to a game. Tempe and Miami aside, but when you go to the same city 3 years in a row is loses some of its luster.

Two years in row for Houston. At least support the team and call the ticket office, ex 2 and donate for the 25.00 tickets. You can express they go too the student or the Epilepsy Foundation in Houston.

Quick question, how many on this site that are complaining about the CC cost would go if it was half the cost as shown on their site? Just curious.

I don't understand the opinion that has been voiced here that there is nothing to do in Houston besides the football game. Maybe their chamber of commerce does a really poor job at advertising their attractions, but don't you think the fourth-largest city in America has just as many entertainment options and attractions as any other city that hosts a bowl game?

I don't understand the opinion that has been voiced here that there is nothing to do in Houston besides the football game. Maybe their chamber of commerce does a really poor job at advertising their attractions, but don't you think the fourth-largest city in America has just as many entertainment options and attractions as any other city that hosts a bowl game?

It's not so much that Houston doesn't have things to do, it's more that everything in Houston is so spread out. Our "winter homes" from previous bowl seasons - Nashville and Tempe - are great because the stadium, game week festivities, bars/restaurants are all in the same spot. And the natives in those cities just seem to be more aware of the game - there were plenty of Houstonians who had no idea why Minnesota fans were in town.

There is a greyhound that leaves minneapolis on Christmas morning. It will get you to Houston around 5pm on the 26th. $150. Stay at Santa Maria hostel in Houston. Hit a soup kitchen. Get one of the donated tickets. Bum a ride back, hitch, hop a rail or work for a train ticket. Whole trip for around $200. Could bring a family of four for under a grand if you really love the gophers.

There is a greyhound that leaves minneapolis on Christmas morning. It will get you to Houston around 5pm on the 26th. $150. Stay at Santa Maria hostel in Houston. Hit a soup kitchen. Get one of the donated tickets. Bum a ride back, hitch, hop a rail or work for a train ticket. Whole trip for around $200. Could bring a family of four for under a grand if you really love the gophers.

On that note, let us not forget what happened to the Alabama fan who did not care enough about their loss to Auburn... get on the damn bus!

TX Aggie is right. TX is basically its' own country and Houston one if its' states. And if there isn't enough for one to do in Houston, places such as South Padre, San Antonio, Austin and College Station are within a couple of hours from Houston.

Plenty to do folks. Get on it!

The question shouldn't be will there be 1,000 Gopher Fans at the Texas Bowl because of course there will. The real question should be will there be more than a 1,000 of the Houston Texans/Texas Bowl Season Ticker Holders there?

Our family of 4 will be there. We're looking forward to it. Visiting a few college campuses, some old high school friends... We do need a nice place for Christmas Eve or Day dinner in Houston if anyone has suggestions :)

Our family of 4 will be there. We're looking forward to it. Visiting a few college campuses, some old high school friends... We do need a nice place for Christmas Eve or Day dinner in Houston if anyone has suggestions :)

Taco Bell? :cool:

Pappas Bros. is open on Christmas Eve. Any of the Pappas family of restaurants would be a good bet, but Pappas Bros. is the flagship.

If one of the campus visits happens to be a place in College Station, I'd be glad to give you a personal VIP tour on the golf cart.

Pappas Bros. is open on Christmas Eve. Any of the Pappas family of restaurants would be a good bet, but Pappas Bros. is the flagship.

If one of the campus visits happens to be a place in College Station, I'd be glad to give you a personal VIP tour on the golf cart.

Miranda - take Aggie11 up on his offer! I've been there and got a personal tour from another faculty member I know and it was great. If you or someone is thinking about A&M, definitely check it out. It is an excellent institution but not easy to get accepted there. Be sure to quiz them about the Aggie culture while you are there. I didn't go there myself but have friends who did attend school and/or work there. They take great pride in being Aggies. I can't say enough nice things about that place. Of course, nothing wrong with being a Gopher :)

Gig 'em and Go Gophers!

Top Bottom