Will there be 1000 Gopher fans in the stands in Houston?

nemosgold

Reaction score
CC working on a second plane =300?
3 Student busses = 150?
400 on their own?

Do we hit a thousand?

I'm not going, I can take my family of four on a ten day trip to somewhere warm over spring break cheaper than a 3 day trip to Houston for my wife and I.

I'm going with people. There are a lot of people with MN ties in this area.

3 Student busses = 150?
400 on their own?

Do we hit a thousand?

I'm not going, I can take my family of four on a ten day trip to somewhere warm over spring break cheaper than a 3 day trip to Houston for my wife and I.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look for you.

There were between 6 and 7,000 there last year. Fans bought a tad over 2,000 tickets from the U last year. The U has a good Alumni base in the Houston area. My wife's sister lives in Houston. In their neighborhood alone there are two
families alone of transplanted Minnesotans, both of whom work at the Space Center. CC filled one plane last year.
I should know, my wife and I were on it. Also last year, there was only one student bus, and that broke down I believe
near Kansas City. Yes, the CC is expensive, but if you don't to mess with ground transportation, baggage, tickets,etc.
It is the way to go. I think ticket sales are better this year because of the teams performance. Throw in the fact that
economy has improved two fold over last year despite the Republicans effort too keep it on a path of destruction for
political reasons. We've some friends driving to Houston because gas prices are down a buck from 4 months ago.
So yes, I think ticket sales through the U could actually double this year.

3 Student busses = 150?
400 on their own?

Do we hit a thousand?

To answer your question, yes, there will be more than 1,000 Gopher fans there. They have reportedly sold over 2,000 tickets and I doubt that more than half of those were purchased by anyone other than Gopher fans, will be unused or will be donated. There will also be fans who buy their tickets from other sources.

Curious where you and the family can go for ten days over spring break cheaper than you and the wife can go to Houston for three days. Always looking for affordable spring break options and if you have some desirable warm weather location where you can go for a week and a half at peak travel season for four people at less than $2,000 I’d love to know about it.

3 Student busses = 150?
400 on their own?

Do we hit a thousand?

Probably Warez would fit the bill.

MSP to Tampa on Air Tran $866 for 4 flights. On Beach Sheraton Sand Key $2100 w/ car. 2966 total.
It would be under but chose to stay at this 4* property.

I'd love to go to the game, don't understand why the University can't provide cheaper flights/alternatives. I'd be going if it only cost $866 for the 4 of us to fly there.

2538 for two on Creative Charter to Bowl Game.

MSP to Tampa on Air Tran $866 for 4 flights. On Beach Sheraton Sand Key $2100 w/ car. 2966 total.

I'd love to go to the game, don't understand why the University can't provide cheaper flights/alternatives. I'd be going if it only cost $866 for the 4 of us to fly there.

I agree I was a bit surprised how expensive airfare to Houston is and part of why I'm not going
By the way - I was just in Tampa/Clearwater a couple weeks ago. I think you'd be bored silly on that beach for a week. We were there for 2 nights and did Busch Gardens and still were bored. Drove right by the resort you're talking about.

Stars don't mean everything....

I was 99% committed to going.

Then I learned the price tag.

It just didn't make sense. I'd rather spend the money flying back to another home game.

I was 99% committed to going.

Then I learned the price tag.

It just didn't make sense. I'd rather spend the money flying back to another home game.

Crap. The team could have really used your positive vibe.

I'd love to go to the game, don't understand why the University can't provide cheaper flights/alternatives.

How can the U provide cheaper flights? Is it the U's fault that Delta owns most of the gates at MSP? Do you expect them to subsidize your trip?

I appreciate you responding, I didn’t really expect you to do so. I have no problem with you or anyone else deciding that the trip isn’t a worthwhile way to spend your time and resources and I share you frustration with the lack of a University-sponsored alternative to the Creative Charters package deal. I get a little frustrated when people cite the Creative Charters rate as what it will cost to get to Houston and as the explanation as to why they aren’t going to go, since it isn’t really a fair representation of the cost. My family of four is flying to Houston, renting a car, and staying at a nice hotel for four nights for about $2,600. And we could have saved about $800 if we flew into College Station instead of Houston.

I appreciate you responding, I didn’t really expect you to do so. I have no problem with you or anyone else deciding that the trip isn’t a worthwhile way to spend your time and resources and I share you frustration with the lack of a University-sponsored alternative to the Creative Charters package deal. I get a little frustrated when people cite the Creative Charters rate as what it will cost to get to Houston and as the explanation as to why they aren’t going to go, since it isn’t really a fair representation of the cost. My family of four is flying to Houston, renting a car, and staying at a nice hotel for four nights for about $2,600. And we could have saved about $800 if we flew into College Station instead of Houston.

Excellent points. I hate it too when people point to CC as the cost. If you want to go with CC, that's fine. I'm not and will save a lot compared to the CC package. I mean, how difficult is it to book your own flight, hotel and rent a car?

And we could have saved about $800 if we flew into College Station instead of Houston.

You could have saved $820. $800 for the flights and $20 for the round of beers at the Dixie Chicken I have offered to any Gopher fans who come through CS.

:)

I'm actually driving down the day after Christmas with my 13 year old son. We are leaving the morning of the 26th and getting to about Norman OK. The next day we will drive into Houston for the game. It's about 6 hours from Norman to Houston. I'm not sure if we will be staying in Houston or San Antonio on the 27....but probably somewhere in Houston. The next day we might go to Sea World and then off to San Antonio for a night. Around noon on the 29th up to Dallas to look at the Kennedy stuff and will probably head back up to Norman for the night again. We should be back home the night of the 30th. My car gets about 35 MPG so we shouldn't spend much more than $200 if gas prices are $3.00/gallon. We will bring a case of water and some pop for the ride along with SummerSausage and Cheese and Crackers. I expect the whole trip to cost me less than $700 for everything.

Sounds like a great trip with your son. Plus as a bonus you will get to escape the cold here.

Where there is a will there is a way. You can fly into Dallas and make the 4 hr. drive. About 250.00 per person you would save versus flying too Houston. cheaphotels.com can get you a reasonable hotel for under 70.00 bucks a night. Of course this is IF YOU REALLY WANT TOO GO TO THE GAME , or just want too piss and moan.

You could have saved $820. $800 for the flights and $20 for the round of beers at the Dixie Chicken I have offered to any Gopher fans who come through CS.

:)

Aggie, as always, you are a gentleman and a scholar sir. :drink:

How can the U provide cheaper flights? Is it the U's fault that Delta owns most of the gates at MSP? Do you expect them to subsidize your trip?

They can work harder to partner with an airline, maybe add corporate sponsorship. No I don't think they should subsidize my trip, yes I think they should work harder at reducing prices for season ticket holders to entice them to go. When we went to the final 4 I believe there were planes added daily, granted I believe they were Northwest flights.

The cost unfortunately is an issue for some of us, I've traveled with Creative Charters 4 times they are GREAT PEOPLE. I do believe they are over pricing these bowl trips which they can do because they have no competition. If you look at other schools the cost is similar. Between football, basketball and hockey my wife and I donate $2500 to the "U" (I teach so I don't make big time cash), I don't think it's too much to ask them to work harder to make it more affordable for their fans to follow them.

I'm actually driving down the day after Christmas with my 13 year old son. We are leaving the morning of the 26th and getting to about Norman OK. The next day we will drive into Houston for the game. It's about 6 hours from Norman to Houston. I'm not sure if we will be staying in Houston or San Antonio on the 27....but probably somewhere in Houston. The next day we might go to Sea World and then off to San Antonio for a night. Around noon on the 29th up to Dallas to look at the Kennedy stuff and will probably head back up to Norman for the night again. We should be back home the night of the 30th. My car gets about 35 MPG so we shouldn't spend much more than $200 if gas prices are $3.00/gallon. We will bring a case of water and some pop for the ride along with SummerSausage and Cheese and Crackers. I expect the whole trip to cost me less than $700 for everything.

If you're planning to drive on any turnpikes you're going to pay a lot for tolls. Sometimes avoidable, but just something to consider.

I spent about $100 in tolls each way on my last cross-country drive.

For high energy munchies while driving, stress Triscuits and Raisins with Diet Dew. You will love the Rest Stops, trust me. :)

If you're planning to drive on any turnpikes you're going to pay a lot for tolls. Sometimes avoidable, but just something to consider.

I spent about $100 in tolls each way on my last cross-country drive.

That is total BS, lars.

If you spent that much, you obviously drove the Yellow Brick Road.

Sounds like a good Father/Son Road Trip. Though I'd suggest that if you're going thru Kansas City and spending a couple of days in Texas you gotta squeeze some BBQ in there somewhere! Here's to the Gophers making it a very memorable by winning that Texas Bowl! :drink:

Thanks guys it should be a fun trip. I found out today that one of my students is driving down there with his dad and uncles also.

About the tolls....I've driven from the Twin Cities to San Antonio a few years ago and I thought the tolls were about $6.00 to $8.00 each way at the most in Kansas. I'm pretty sure the only toll roads were from Emporia to about Wichita. Have they gone up the last three or four years?

Thanks guys it should be a fun trip. I found out today that one of my students is driving down there with his dad and uncles also.

About the tolls....I've driven from the Twin Cities to San Antonio a few years ago and I thought the tolls were about $6.00 to $8.00 each way at the most in Kansas. I'm pretty sure the only toll roads were from Emporia to about Wichita. Have they gone up the last three or four years?

You are right on, etho. lars1312 is totally BS'ing us on Toll Charges.

Top Bottom