Will Gophers beat Hawkeyes Twice?

Stuck_in_indy

Reaction score
The Iowa fan base just cannot get over this loss, I’m thinking the Iowa team is facing similar struggles. As good of a coach K. Ferentz is, I would not be shocked if Iowa loses 1 or even 2 more games. I think the Axe game will also have a trip to Indy at stake. On Wisconsin!

It's possible.

The Gophers have to take care of business, starting this coming Saturday.

The Iowa fan base just cannot get over this loss, I’m thinking the Iowa team is facing similar struggles. As good of a coach K. Ferentz is, I would not be shocked if Iowa loses 1 or even 2 more games. I think the Axe game will also have a trip to Indy at stake. On Wisconsin!
Based on their completely feeble O, I think it is 💯 inevitable that they lose another game - the Gophers just need to take care of their business.

I do not understand the thread title.

I guess you’re saying if they lose another game, it’s because they’re still so distraught over losing to us?

Nah

Based on their completely feeble O, I think it is 💯 inevitable that they lose another game - the Gophers just need to take care of their business.
I think it is very possible they lose but their final 4 games are crazy soft.

@ Northwestern
vs. Rutgers
vs. Illinois
@ Nebraska

Even with their crappy offense they will probably be the favorite to win all those games. They will try and turn them all into punt tests and hope their defense and special teams can bail them out. If there is a team in the West capable of finishing 7-2 it is Iowa and with that schedule you would think it would be a lock. But with their offense, any of those games are capable of going sideways on them.

Just like last year (if I recall correctly??), both Neb vs Iowa and Minn vs Wisc will determine who wins the West.

As pointed out by Some Guy and others before, that is tangible value in terms of ratings that going to evaporate into thin air with the new “single blob” format.

They need formal divisions and they need to hand out trophies for those divisions. Even if they don’t get you a berth to anything.

Just like bowl games, it’s something to play for.

I agree with you, last year we were better than them in just about every facet... the area where they were better was the most important... the scoreboard.
We’ve been better than Iowa for years. That’s what they should be worried about. Both lines were superior this year.

I understand their concerns.

It's possible.

The Gophers have to take care of business, starting this coming Saturday.
Make sure you score in the first half, while the Illini’s stud D tackle, Newton, is sitting for targeting
I do not understand the thread title.

I guess you’re saying if they lose another game, it’s because they’re still so distraught over losing to us?

Nah
Yes, As the saying goes with dealing w setbacks. Don’t let them beat you twice. But, aside from that challenge, it’s just really difficult for me to believe that a team with such a historically bad QB will be playing in a title game. It’s just not going to happen. The off-season will be quite interesting for Iowa.

@ Northwestern
vs. Rutgers
vs. Illinois
@ Nebraska

Even with their crappy offense they will probably be the favorite to win all those games. They will try and turn them all into punt tests and hope their defense and special teams can bail them out. If there is a team in the West capable of finishing 7-2 it is Iowa and with that schedule you would think it would be a lock. But with their offense, any of those games are capable of going sideways on them.

@ Northwestern
vs. Rutgers
vs. Illinois
@ Nebraska

Rutgers is 6-2 = crazy soft??????????
If the game was in The Garfen State, Rutgers would likely “be favored.”

Bert against his alma-mater?

Nebby at home? Their O is woeful, but with their D is legit and this us a rivalry game.

I’ll take those three “crazy soft” any day of the week, to hang a L on Iowa, then have them run the table.

As far as being favored, the betting line “job” is to get a basic 50-50% split on the action. If this is an important metric to you, I’d be more interested in how the line moves.

Last edited:

Rutgers is 6-2 = crazy soft??????????
If the game was in The Garfen State, Rutgers would likely “be favored.”

Bert against his alma-mater?

Nebby at home? Their O is woeful, but with their D is legit and this us a rivalry game.

I’ll take those three “crazy soft” any day of the week.

As far as being favored, the betting line “job” is to get a basic 50-50% split on the action. If this is an important metric to you, I’d be more interested in how the line moves.
Don't get me wrong, I won't be surprised if Iowa drops at least one of those games and I probably am not giving Rutgers enough credit because they are solid this year.

Iowa's offense is so broken that if any of those teams can put together a solid/mistake free game against them they can definitely beat the Hawks. I have just gotten so conditioned to Iowa finding ways to win ugly that it is hard to pick against them in games that should all probably be close low scoring affairs.

Don't get me wrong, I won't be surprised if Iowa drops at least one of those games and I probably am not giving Rutgers enough credit because they are solid this year.

Iowa's offense is so broken that if any of those teams can put together a solid/mistake free game against them they can definitely beat the Hawks. I have just gotten so conditioned to Iowa finding ways to win ugly that it is hard to pick against them in games that should all probably be close low scoring affairs.
👍
I’m hopeful that this L, started the crumbling of Their House of 🃏

@ Northwestern
vs. Rutgers
vs. Illinois
@ Nebraska

I could see them losing 3, if not all 4 of those games.

I could see them losing 3, if not all 4 of those games.
I hope you are right, that would be awesome and couldn't happen to a better team. But I still won't be shocked if they find a way to ugly their way to wins in some or all of those games. It is just what Iowa does.

Nebraska has been on a streak lately (won 4 of their last 5) and were spoiler to Iowa last year.
Would be nice if the Huskers did our dirty work for us and beat them and WI...

I hope you are right, that would be awesome and couldn't happen to a better team. But I still won't be shocked if they find a way to ugly their way to wins in some or all of those games. It is just what Iowa does.

I think they'll be close games, but this is the worst offense I've ever seen. We saw what our defense did, and currently Nebraska's and Rutgers defense is ranked better than ours, and their offenses are slightly better than ours as well. Northwestern's defense is actually not far behind where ours is either. Only Illinois has a bad defense out of those teams, but their offense is the best out of those 4.

Nebraska has been on a streak lately (won 4 of their last 5) and were spoiler to Iowa last year.
Would be nice if the Huskers did our dirty work for us and beat them and WI...
We actually may need WI to beat them and them beat IA… if we want to win the west still.

We actually may need WI to beat them and them beat IA… if we want to win the west still.
Maybe, but I am guessing they lose to Maryland and we hold a head-to-head tiebreaker over them.
We need to win 4 more.

I think they'll be close games, but this is the worst offense I've ever seen. We saw what our defense did, and currently Nebraska's and Rutgers defense is ranked better than ours, and their offenses are slightly better than ours as well. Northwestern's defense is actually not far behind where ours is either. Only Illinois has a bad defense out of those teams, but their offense is the best out of those 4.
None of those defenses are as good as ours was Saturday. I know you are looking at season stats but we were out of sight at Kinnick. I don’t think any of Iowa’s last four need to be in our league defensively to win because they will all likely score a couple TDS.

One factor not mentioned is, that Cooper DeJean's gamesmanship on punt returns, might get closer scrutiny from the officials.

One factor not mentioned is, that Cooper DeJean's gamesmanship on punt returns, might get closer scrutiny from the officials.
Yes be had a couple really late fair catch signals too.

Good point. While Ferentz was whining in his post game presser he mentioned that they have that discussion with officials before each game, which leads me to believe he coaches it knowing it can confuse and potentially slow down incoming tacklers.

Just like last year (if I recall correctly??), both Neb vs Iowa and Minn vs Wisc will determine who wins the West.
I think you are thinking of two years ago. In 2021, if Nebraska hadn’t completely melted down in the 4th quarter against Iowa, our game with Bucky would have been for the division title.

Last year, it basically came down to Purdue or Iowa. Iowa lost to Nebraska on Black Friday, so Purdue’s victory over IU the next day earned them the trip to Indy.

Last edited:

Good point. While Ferentz was whining in his post game presser he mentioned that they have that discussion with officials before each game, which leads me to believe he coaches it knowing it can confuse and potentially slow down incoming tacklers.
Yeah usually you meet refs about plays that look wonky but you feel are legit and so on…

@GopherVotary thanks, I was thinking of last year, I just worded it poorly.

Last year, IF Neb had won, then Minn vs Wisc would've been for the title as you said.

I'm saying, this year could come down to the same thing. We win the next three and lose to OSU, Wisc wins out except OSU up to our game, and Iowa wins out up to the Neb game.

Which I dare say is the expected outcomes ... we will see.

Top Bottom