Will Coyle do anything to help enhance home crowd advantage?

swingman

Reaction score
Be interesting to see if Coyle makes sure he does everything he can to help the team.

Market and hype the hell out of the game...create some buzz.

Get tickets sold...get Minnesota butts in seats. Offer unsold seats to season ticket holders at discount.

Do some on campus stuff at frats, dorms, the Unions, the Mall, etc to make sure students are engaged. Used to do bonfires on Friday nights. Get student section full.

Free hot cocoa for students who are in seats pre kickoff. Free schnapps all afternoon.

In past years, they did free hand warmers, free winter hats on cold days.

Gold out? In past, they have had free gold towels.

Fly-over? More fireworks? Light show? That get the place dark and cell phone lights thing.

A much better, lively and engaging end of third quarter mix. It used to be fun. It has gotten real stale.

Make sure they have a A game for in-game production...more rowdy music and stuff...less ads and sideline honoree ceremonies between possessions...

don't be afraid to turn the speakers up!

Make sure the gates are over staffed and security is efficient...get people in seats early.

Make sure Fleck, players, coaches mention how much a loud home crowd helps out in any interviews they do.

Get concessions over staffed so people are in seats, not concourse.

Get bookstore marketing cold weather gear.

Let drunk Iowa fans have sex in bathroom stalls so they aren't in seats.

Ideas?

Last edited:

You do realize season ticket holders always get a discount on extra seats?

I didn’t want to reply to this thread but it’s one of 71 swingman will start today soooo let’s get it going.

Since Coyle showed up they’ve done a lot.

It was pretty sleepy previously. There was a noticeable change in gameday experience in the years since Coyle was hired.

They crowds will show more consistently when we win, they’ve proven that. They will even dress as instructed.

It will be "interesting" to see how well I-O-W-A travels for this one. Fortunately the Metrodome days where almost half of the stadium was Hawk yellow are gone, but we have had some good Hawk showings even at TCF.

Will always hold dear Coach Horton's win once Coach Brew was canned. If memory serves me that was a cold game at night (or into the night) where I-O-W-A just did not want to be there. Getting The Pig was really fun for that one.

According to JG and Burnsie this morning, of course we need to win out from here and for Purdue to lose to either Northwestern or Indiana to take the West. There will be no "fair weather fans" in TCF next week.

Not sure what marketing gimics can really come forward at this point because the importance of this game is so obvious. Hoping I-O-W-A does not travel for this one so it can be as hostile as those who do show up are willing to make it.

Maybe we could wear black and gold uniforms? Could confuse Iowa.
It will be "interesting" to see how well I-O-W-A travels for this one. Fortunately the Metrodome days where almost half of the stadium was Hawk yellow are gone, but we have had some good Hawk showings even at TCF.

Will always hold dear Coach Horton's win once Coach Brew was canned. If memory serves me that was a cold game at night (or into the night) where I-O-W-A just did not want to be there. Getting The Pig was really fun for that one.

According to JG and Burnsie this morning, of course we need to win out from here and for Purdue to lose to either Northwestern or Indiana to take the West. There will be no "fair weather fans" in TCF next week.

Not sure what marketing gimics can really come forward at this point because the importance of this game is so obvious. Hoping I-O-W-A does not travel for this one so it can be as hostile as those who do show up are willing to make it.

Since Coyle showed up they’ve done a lot.

It was pretty sleepy previously. There was a noticeable change in gameday experience in the years since Coyle was hired.

They crowds will show more consistently when we win, they’ve proven that. They will even dress as instructed.
Please address the one and true point. Free hot cocoa for students is pure genius.

First, a little context: I have been a poster on Gopherhole since 2005 and a season ticket holder since 1999. I frequently opined on this board for a long time, but the negativity of the majority of posters after a loss (and even the ridiculous level of positivity after an undefeated nonconference season) has made me a lurker here instead of a participant.

Sorry for that prelude.

My #1 disappointment with the Gophers in my 24 years as a season-ticket holder is the fanbase.

Attendance yesterday was disappointing to me as a fan. I cannot imagine the team running out of the tunnel and looking up at the stands and not being a bit deflated by a half full stadium. I was at the game (2000?) where the Iowa fans stormed our field and tore down our goalposts. Gopher fans blamed it on having a horrible stadium. So we fundraised like hell and Joel Maturi (who is usually derided on this board) politic'ed like hell and we got a completely awesome stadium.

I understand that the Twin Cities "is a pro-sports town" and "has too many other things to do." And we like to make fun of the way Nebraska sells out its stadium despite playing poorly because "what the hell else is there to do in Nebraska." But I am concerned that we will never be a great program again simply because we lack a great fanbase.

I sincerely hope that each and every one of you on this board that is a season-ticket holder makes sure that there are Maroon and Gold butts in your seat next Saturday regardless of the weather. Even moreso, I hope that those of you who post on this board that are not ticket holders to find a way to get to this game.

If the chants from the Iowa fans in the stand are louder than our own next Saturday, that will be a reflection on us as fans and as Minnesotans rather than a reflection of the committed student-athletes who commit so much to this great university.

...If the chants from the Iowa fans in the stand are louder than our own next Saturday, that will be a reflection on us as fans and as Minnesotans rather than a reflection of the committed student-athletes who commit so much to this great university.
Agree wholeheartedly GGR. Students also did not show yesterday for the first time, which to this point they have done better than the rest of the stadium.

Unfortunately it gets cold in I-O-W-A City too so the Hawks should be fine just like our men. Do agree that "too cold" should not be an excuse for not attending, especially with a 3 PM start to boot.

First, a little context: I have been a poster on Gopherhole since 2005 and a season ticket holder since 1999. I frequently opined on this board for a long time, but the negativity of the majority of posters after a loss (and even the ridiculous level of positivity after an undefeated nonconference season) has made me a lurker here instead of a participant.

Sorry for that prelude.

My #1 disappointment with the Gophers in my 24 years as a season-ticket holder is the fanbase.

Attendance yesterday was disappointing to me as a fan. I cannot imagine the team running out of the tunnel and looking up at the stands and not being a bit deflated by a half full stadium. I was at the game (2000?) where the Iowa fans stormed our field and tore down our goalposts. Gopher fans blamed it on having a horrible stadium. So we fundraised like hell and Joel Maturi (who is usually derided on this board) politic'ed like hell and we got a completely awesome stadium.

I understand that the Twin Cities "is a pro-sports town" and "has too many other things to do." And we like to make fun of the way Nebraska sells out its stadium despite playing poorly because "what the hell else is there to do in Nebraska." But I am concerned that we will never be a great program again simply because we lack a great fanbase.

I sincerely hope that each and every one of you on this board that is a season-ticket holder makes sure that there are Maroon and Gold butts in your seat next Saturday regardless of the weather. Even moreso, I hope that those of you who post on this board that are not ticket holders to find a way to get to this game.

If the chants from the Iowa fans in the stand are louder than our own next Saturday, that will be a reflection on us as fans and as Minnesotans rather than a reflection of the committed student-athletes who commit so much to this great university.
Totally agree. Great post.

Did you guys watch the Illinois Purdue game yesterday? A game to determine first place in the West and when they showed camera views, half of the upper deck if not more was empty.

In fact, I started looking in the stands on many of the other games and outside of about 15 teams that sell out no matter what, almost every team is experiencing empty seats like crazy.

Did you guys watch the Illinois Purdue game yesterday? A game to determine first place in the West and when they showed camera views, half of the upper deck if not more was empty.

In fact, I started looking in the stands on many of the other games and outside of about 15 teams that sell out no matter what, almost every team is experiencing empty seats like crazy.
Yeah I was surprised by that crowd when I turned on the game.

The "crowd" in the Rose Bowl that got to see Jedd Fisch work his magic was probably a home field disadvantage.

There won't be any unsold seats for this game. They're hoping for another Penn State 2019 type of game.

You can't force people who bought tickets to actually show up. And there's no such thing as "on call" fans to fill those no-show seats.

The cold, alone, is going to make some people not show up. Is what it is.

Last edited:

Be interesting to see if Coyle makes sure he does everything he can to help the team.

Market and hype the hell out of the game...create some buzz.

Get tickets sold...get Minnesota butts in seats. Offer unsold seats to season ticket holders at discount.

Do some on campus stuff at frats, dorms, the Unions, the Mall, etc to make sure students are engaged. Used to do bonfires on Friday nights. Get student section full.

Free hot cocoa for students who are in seats pre kickoff. Free schnapps all afternoon.

In past years, they did free hand warmers, free winter hats on cold days.

Gold out? In past, they have had free gold towels.

Fly-over? More fireworks? Light show? That get the place dark and cell phone lights thing.

A much better, lively and engaging end of third quarter mix. It used to be fun. It has gotten real stale.

Make sure they have a A game for in-game production...more rowdy music and stuff...less ads and sideline honoree ceremonies between possessions...

don't be afraid to turn the speakers up!

Make sure the gates are over staffed and security is efficient...get people in seats early.

Make sure Fleck, players, coaches mention how much a loud home crowd helps out in any interviews they do.

Get concessions over staffed so people are in seats, not concourse.

Get bookstore marketing cold weather gear.

Let drunk Iowa fans have sex in bathroom stalls so they aren't in seats.

Ideas?
Were you at the game yesterday?

Yep.

College football -- getting into the elite tier feels like as big of a barrier to entry as it has every felt.

It's like you had to have already built up the momentum to get to that point by now, or you'll never be able to build it at this point.

First cold day and a NW team coming in having lost 8 straight will make it hard to sell tickets beyond the core fanbase, and some of that core clearly didn't show up yesterday either. I could count a good 10-12 ST holders within a row of my seats who were no-shows. The core fanbase needs to grow as well, and that is on the coaching staff to recruit and develop players, win more games, win the West, and play in the title game.

An 8-1 Gophers with the West in their hands probably would have helped.

There won't be any unsold seats for this game. They're hoping for another Penn State type of game.

You can't force people who bought tickets to actually show up. And there's no such thing as "on call" fans to fill those no-show seats.

The cold, alone, is going to make some people not show up. Is what it is.
The seat map shows plenty of available seats, and the cheapest tickets are $75. If they want to sell all the seats, they're going to have to slash prices.

Were you at the game yesterday?
Yep. Lot of empties. Including three of my four. Couldn't give them away.

Took a leak right at halftime. I am in top row, lower level, so got to can quick. Hardly any line. Nice.

Saw there was a line one deep at concession stand. Nice. So, first time all year I decided to buy food.( I have used the stand alone craft beer kiosks this year). A brat, peanuts, a coke. Nice lady. Upsold me to souvenir cup. Got my peanuts right away. She went to window to kitchen. Came back two minutes later. Said brat would be a five minute wait. She sold me on a ready to go chicken sausage with some nice toppings. Took another two minutes. Line was 12 deep when I left counter.

Couldnt find my ticket in Google wallet. Pulled up my tailgate lot ticket on phone screen. Kid scanned it. I walked in. Nice.

Last edited:

The seat map shows plenty of available seats, and the cheapest tickets are $75. If they want to sell all the seats, they're going to have to slash prices.
OK, did not know that.

Was it that way for Penn State 2019, or did they cut prices to fill it up? I realize the situation is not the same.

But that needs to be the atmosphere we go for!

Some cold days in past, I think they have had some indoor pregame options at Mariucci or Pav.

At WI, IA, I have pregamed in their fieldhouses on cold days. Maryland we did something inside at their equivalent to McNamara.

Sorry for that prelude.

Good post. A fan message board can’t always accept reality so I doubt many on this board will acknowledge you are right. I know we have some loyal fans and we have some great tailgaters and other schools have similar problems, etc., etc., but a relatively poor fan base has been a constant here since I attended the U in the mid 90s. We had more students in football uniforms than in the stands after halftime yesterday. It simply is what it is.

Yep. Lot of empties. Including three of my four. Couldn't give them away.

Took a leak right at halftime. I am in top row, lower level, so got to can quick. Hardly any line. Nice.

Saw there was a line one deep at concession stand. Nice. So, first time all year I decided to buy food.( I have used the stand alone craft beer kiosks this year). A brat, peanuts, a coke. Nice lady. Upsold me to souvenir cup. Got my peanuts right away. She went to window to kitchen. Came back two minutes later. Said brat would be a five minute wait. She sold me on a ready to go chicken sausage with some nice toppings. Took another two minutes. Line was 12 deep when I left counter.

Couldnt find my ticket in Google wallet. Pulled up my tailgate lot ticket on phone screen. Kid scanned it. I walked in. Nice.
Good you realize they do, have done, or tried those things you listed. Plenty to do before the game to be entertained, people just have to decide to take part. Did you sty to the end of the game?

OK, did not know that.

Was it that way for Penn State 2019, or did they cut prices to fill it up? I realize the situation is not the same.

But that needs to be the atmosphere we go for!
A 9-1 Gophers would have no problem selling out early.

Top Bottom