Will Basketball follow football and be cancelled?

Otis

Reaction score
I feel like the clock is ticking on the College Basketball season. How much longer before the Power 5 and their new "heart condition" after COVID causes the cancelation of the season.

I am already prepared for the cancellation of College Basketball. I doubt they will even start after January 1.

Last edited:

Listening to Osterholm's projections I highly doubt basketball will happen.

They should cancel the fall semester. Hopefully a season can start some time in spring, even if the start has to delay to March.

I expect the non-conference games to be cancelled shortly. I don't think they will bag the conference schedule until we see where things are in November/December.

I wonder what Jim Souhan thinks? :unsure:

Kind sad, on the football site have a thread "387 days to gophers versus ohio state".

I don't think basketball will be cancelled entirely. There is a 3-4 week academic break in the middle of the season that will allow for some type of tournament.

I do think the non-conference schedule will be scrapped in the next month or so though. Then we'll hear if they'll try to play the conference schedule or do some one off tournament.

I don't think basketball will be cancelled entirely. There is a 3-4 week academic break in the middle of the season that will allow for some type of tournament.

I do think the non-conference schedule will be scrapped in the next month or so though. Then we'll hear if they'll try to play the conference schedule or do some one off tournament.
Agree. It depends on when a vaccine rolls out but I think it is very likely that we see the season pushed back into spring. Too much money at stake to completely cancel everything.

I was talking to a guy I know who referees a lot of D3 college basketball. he said that, in a normal year, he would already have received some of his assignments by now from his association. Instead, his association is telling refs that they will wait at least a month before making assignments to see what happens.

Bottom line - without a vaccine or some new treatment, the basic situation is going to be essentially the same in another two or three months - unless the virus "just goes away," which most doctors do not see as a likely possibility.

So I am very skeptical that college hoops will be able to start a 'normal' schedule. first step will probably be pushing everything back until January and canning most non-conf games.

At this point ncaa football conferences are 50-50 playing versus not playing. So how football goes should provide bb decision makers with good info. Hopefully they dont can the season too soon, wait and see how football plays out.

Unless of course the gach/robbins waivers arent granted, then just can the season. :)

I was talking to a guy I know who referees a lot of D3 college basketball. he said that, in a normal year, he would already have received some of his assignments by now from his association. Instead, his association is telling refs that they will wait at least a month before making assignments to see what happens.

Bottom line - without a vaccine or some new treatment, the basic situation is going to be essentially the same in another two or three months - unless the virus "just goes away," which most doctors do not see as a likely possibility.

So I am very skeptical that college hoops will be able to start a 'normal' schedule. first step will probably be pushing everything back until January and canning most non-conf games.

Winter is the cold and flu season. In a lot of states people are going to be spending more time inside. I share your skepticism because the basic situation could be even worse.

At this point ncaa football conferences are 50-50 playing versus not playing. So how football goes should provide bb decision makers with good info. Hopefully they dont can the season too soon, wait and see how football plays out.

Unless of course the gach/robbins waivers arent granted, then just can the season. :)
Based on normal MN Sports luck, they will approve both waivers, the season will get cancelled and then they will deny every single waiver we request for the next 10 years or so.

Based on normal MN Sports luck, they will approve both waivers, the season will get cancelled and then they will deny every single waiver we request for the next 10 years or so.

Not sure you have lived in Minnesota long enough to understand the depths. Everything will come together and the gophs will be awarded a #1 seed in the big dance. The day before our first game against Eastern-Western State; Gabe, Carr, Robbins will be diagnosed with covid. The rest of the team will be cleared to play and we will go on to become the second team to lose to a 16th seed.

Then, Wisconsin and Iowa will go on epic runs and meet in the ncaa final. In the first minute, Brad Davison takes a very questionable charging foul from Connor. Fran loses his mind and gets tossed. Inspired, Davison goes on to set a championship game scoring record and leads the Badgers to a natty. Brown commits to Wisconsin and Holliman to Iowa.

It is discovered that the university has no-attend, no-work classes open to the student body at large that were also attended by gopher players. NCAA is appalled and quickly applies a 5 year postseason ban. Gophers appeal on grounds of the UNC precedent and the NCAA responds by apologizing to Roy and giving St. Thomas the death penalty. Sounds about right. :)

Last edited:

I was 100% confident football would be postponed or cancelled, because of fall timing, but also because football is a decentralized collection of conferences making their own decisions (as we just saw this week). Basketball, on the other hand, I'm not so sure it will be cancelled, mostly because that falls under a centralized NCAA jurisdiction, and I would be stunned if they cancel their cash cow tournament two years in a row. It might ultimately happen, but I think they're going to do every damn thing they possibly can to see the basketball season through because NCAA leaders are among the greediest bastards alive.

I was 100% confident football would be postponed or cancelled, because of fall timing, but also because football is a decentralized collection of conferences making their own decisions (as we just saw this week). Basketball, on the other hand, I'm not so sure it will be cancelled, mostly because that falls under a centralized NCAA jurisdiction, and I would be stunned if they cancel their cash cow tournament two years in a row. It might ultimately happen, but I think they're going to do every damn thing they possibly can to see the basketball season through because NCAA leaders are among the greediest bastards alive.
...and playing the season is the right thing to do. It's time to live.

Well, the NCAA is still just a shell on top of the conferences. The board of directors, the DI council, etc. are all just made up of conference representatives.

If the Big Ten decided that it didn't want to allow any of its members to play bball this school year, the NCAA couldn't "force" them to do it, or "sanction" them for refusing to participate.

But I do agree that they -- meaning the conferences -- will do everything in their power to have some type of (possible late) spring season, followed by some type of (possible bubble-fied) tournament structure.

the NSIC - a DII conference that includes schools in MN - just canceled all fall sports and suspended all sports competition through December 31st 2020.

That means no hoops games until January at the earliest.

They said their decision was based on new NCAA guidance for health and safety protocols, including rules for testing, exposure and quarantines. if that's an NCAA directive, I believe it applies to all levels, including D1. Of course, D1 schools have more resources, so they might make different decisions.

Really hard to see a possibility for high school bb this winter. Not saying I agree with that.

So, asked somewhat differently (as I know 'bubbles' are being explored for the NCAA season),
Will we attend a game this year at the Barn? If sitting outside to watch a game isnt going going to happen this fall, is there any scenario where we will be walking through the Oak street doors this winter?

Top Bottom