Will Bart Miller build the line from the inside out?

husker70

Reaction score
He has Tyler Moore at Center. Will he flank him with Vincent Calhoun and Garrison Wright? Leaving the tackles to be determined? These three seem to meet his big, physical, and nasty requirements. Or does he slide Garrison to the right tackle, opening a guard position. This needs to be established this spring. The more reps the established OL gets the better the communication and timing gets.

With a new o-line coach, I don't think anything is locked in but I'd say it's pretty likely that Tyler Moore plays Center and Jonah Pirsig LT. Pirsig didn't play that well at LT last year and asked the staff to move him back to RT shortly after the move. A lot will depend how well Connelly and Dovich perform at LT in the spring. If we find a RS Freshman that's a good option at LT, I think we play Calhoun and Wright at Guard. If the freshmen aren't ready for LT, we probably slide Calhoun over to LT and play Mayes at guard.

I suspect that going into camp, we'll see Moore at center, Mayes & Calhoun at guards, and Pirsig & Wright at the tackles (although you could maybe flip Calhoun & Wright). I'm not sure they end spring that way though. It'll be interesting to see who else steps up, I'm interested to see what guys like Connelly, Dovich & Oseland can do.

With a new o-line coach, I don't think anything is locked in but I'd say it's pretty likely that Tyler Moore plays Center and Jonah Pirsig LT. Pirsig didn't play that well at LT last year and asked the staff to move him back to RT shortly after the move. A lot will depend how well Connelly and Dovich perform at LT in the spring. If we find a RS Freshman that's a good option at LT, I think we play Calhoun and Wright at Guard. If the freshmen aren't ready for LT, we probably slide Calhoun over to LT and play Mayes at guard.

Zero chance Calhoun plays LT or really any OT. I do agree though that Pirsig will likely start at LT.

Why all the push to put Pirsig at LT? he doesn't play well at that spot and IMO has a slow first step and hence not in the best position for LT (at least not good for Liedner)

he is more comfortable at RT and that is where i suspect he stays.

Pirsig has the most starts on the offensive line. He is best suited to play right tackle. However, he I believe does not meet Coach Miller's criteria.

He has Tyler Moore at Center. Will he flank him with Vincent Calhoun and Garrison Wright? Leaving the tackles to be determined? These three seem to meet his big, physical, and nasty requirements. Or does he slide Garrison to the right tackle, opening a guard position. This needs to be established this spring. The more reps the established OL gets the better the communication and timing gets.

No doubt this will be one of the main priorities for spring ball. With a new coach and some new faces they will have to figure out who can play and where they fit best. I like that we brought in some JC guys who can hopefully come in and play right away however with JC kids there is always the hit or miss potential. Some come in ready to go and others just simply aren't good enough and never make the transition. Hopefully the two we brought in to play the line are ready to play right away.

I really think that it will be Moore at center, Wright and Garrison at guard, Pirsig at right tackle and Connely at left tackle. Pirsig played last year with shoulder injuries which could explain some of his passiveness.

I really think that it will be Moore at center, Wright and Garrison at guard, Pirsig at right tackle and Connely at left tackle. Pirsig played last year with shoulder injuries which could explain some of his passiveness.

Passiveness does not make the criteria. March 1 Pirsig has to be the meanest, nastiest, toughest guy on the field, if he is going to play for Coach Miller.

Passiveness does not make the criteria. March 1 Pirsig has to be the meanest, nastiest, toughest guy on the field, if he is going to play for Coach Miller.

Build some press conference speak up all you want, but Miller isn't going to bench Pirsig if he isn't "mean enough". He will play for coach Miller next year.

There are injuries and then there are injuries. That said, I first noticed trouble in paradise when Robert Ndondo-Lay was easily beating him around the right edge during a spring game a few years ago. I think he's bettered himself but he still struggles with speed rushers. Next season if the center of the line can hold up better that will give Mitch an opportunity to step up inthe pocket and hopefully he will have his wits abouthim to do that as a senior. The refs got the absurd "welcome to the Big Ten" holding penalties out of the way last year (Moore). If these jucos, Mayes live up to their potential the sky is the limit. Miller seems like the real deal but time will tell.

Why all the push to put Pirsig at LT? he doesn't play well at that spot and IMO has a slow first step and hence not in the best position for LT (at least not good for Liedner)

he is more comfortable at RT and that is where i suspect he stays.

I understand. I just have a hard time believing that a RS frosh would be able to do better job at protecting Leidner's blindside than a 5th year senior and likely three year starter who does have some experience at the position.

I'm equally curious about how depth shakes out. The OL is constantly taking a beating. It is football.

My first sentence had a typo: my bet is Pirsig stays at RT and does not move to LT.

Zero chance Calhoun plays LT or really any OT. I do agree though that Pirsig will likely start at LT.

There is a significant chance Calhoun or Wright play LT. Our only other options at OT are redshirt freshmen. If the frosh aren't quite ready for primetime or if Mayes shows he can start and be effective at guard, it's likely to happen.

Pirsig at RT and Moore at Center seem best for team and them.

Calhoun, Wright, and Mayes battle for Guards.

Connelly, Dovich, and Oseland battle for LT. If one of them can't play LT as good or better than Lauer/Campion, we are in trouble at LT.

Those are your top 8 and should all see the field this year.

My hope is Pirsig returns to RT

There is a significant chance Calhoun or Wright play LT. Our only other options at OT are redshirt freshmen. If the frosh aren't quite ready for primetime or if Mayes shows he can start and be effective at guard, it's likely to happen.

There is some chance that Wright ends up at RT, a slim chance that he plays LT and zero chance Calhoun plays any tackle. When was the last time we or any Big Ten team started a 6-4, 335 pounder at LT?? He would about as effective at LT as Pirsig would be at center and thats not hyperbole in the slightest. All 4 of the RS frosh, no matter how ill-prepared they might be, would be significantly better options at LT are than Calhoun would be.

But who is mean and nasty. I read if you aren't mean and nasty you won't play for Miller. Talent means little.

Mean and nasty equals hard work...

But who is mean and nasty. I read if you aren't mean and nasty you won't play for Miller. Talent means little.

I got your sarcasm but: "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard."

There is some chance that Wright ends up at RT, a slim chance that he plays LT and zero chance Calhoun plays any tackle. When was the last time we or any Big Ten team started a 6-4, 335 pounder at LT?? He would about as effective at LT as Pirsig would be at center and thats not hyperbole in the slightest. All 4 of the RS frosh, no matter how ill-prepared they might be, would be significantly better options at LT are than Calhoun would be.

What are you smoking? Calhoun was a JUCO All-American at tackle this past season. Yet somehow all of our freshman who have never played a down of college football are better options than him? I think everyone agrees he projects better at guard, but the odds are probably 50:50 that he starts at OT.

What are you smoking? Calhoun was a JUCO All-American at tackle this past season. Yet somehow all of our freshman who have never played a down of college football are better options than him? I think everyone agrees he projects better at guard, but the odds are probably 50:50 that he starts at OT.

I'm well aware about what he did and where he played at Juco. And I still maintain that there is no way in hell he plays OT for us. It would make about as much sense as putting Richardson at DE. He is freakin 6-4, 335. When was the last time we started a player at LT or even RT for that matter that was both under 6-5 and over 320 let alone 335?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I just hope the OL will move someone off the LOS......Way to much pushing and pestering. Hit someone in the mouth, double team and get off the ball!!!!

In the podcast, Coach Miller was asked if a nice guy can play for him. His response was something to the effect off the field he can be the nicest guy, but once he takes the field he must be the most physical, meanest, and nasty player on the field.

"Hey Pirsig - you are our best option at RT, but just not mean enough. Take a seat."

If you can't recognize motivational speak when you hear it and instead take it at face value, I can't help you.

Top Bottom