Wichita State’s Gregg Marshall punched a player, choked Gophers assistant coach Kyle Lindsted

I think everyone has gone soft. Saying to someone to get on your horse isn’t much of anything. Asians invented horse riding. If anything I should be offended, he is Cultural appropriating my race towards a North American. For that I am offended.

I think everyone has gone soft. Saying to someone to get on your horse isn’t much of anything. Asians invented horse riding. If anything I should be offended, he is Cultural appropriating my race towards a North American. For that I am offended.
Every is going soft because a coach punched a player twice during a practice?

No, because they list a bunch of non-offensive things to a list that could stand alone. Punching a kid=bad, saying someone should get back on a Horse = not bad.

No, because they list a bunch of non-offensive things to a list that could stand alone. Punching a kid=bad, saying someone should get back on a Horse = not bad.
So if I'm a "good coach" 60% of the time and say and do non offensive things and the other 40% of the time I berate my players and verbally/ physically assault then that's cool? Because I did some not bad things?

Anyways, like getting up a horse is some put down. Seems like some city slickers on this thread think the idea of telling a person to get on a horse is just plain terrible. Some people feel very comfortable and are most happy being on a horse. Saddled or unsaddled.

Those are two different things, not necessarily related. I'm not excusing Marshall's behavior or saying that he didn't say or do racists things. I said it was terrible. The howling noises thing is obviously way over the line. I was speaking more in general about the expression "get back on your horse" That expression in and of itself has nothing to do with race. Asians were riding horses thousands of years before horses were brought to this continent. If anyone should be offended by that expression it should be the Kazakhs.

That phrase by itself obviously is not racist. It is, however, if you're saying it to someone BECAUSE of their race. It's all about context, and the context provided makes it pretty clear that it was said because of his race.

It is nothing in comparison to the other things he's accused of, but saying it isn't racist in this context is really, really strange.

It’s racist towards Asians. If he was Asian, I’d get it. Everyone else rode horses after them. Every single race has ridden horses. Either way, I hate how you think telling some to ride a horse is some kind of put down. Your “context” argument is totally hollow. Have you ever even rode a horse. Do you know that country roads don’t have curbs and gutters? We have a list of reasons to hate the guy, focus on other things.

Hmmm.......our resident BADGER is absent.

Wasn't Marshall one of the great, good coaches? Great teacher?

Anyways, like getting up a horse is some put down. Seems like some city slickers on this thread think the idea of telling a person to get on a horse is just plain terrible. Some people feel very comfortable and are most happy being on a horse. Saddled or unsaddled.

Not a city slicker here. Also have lived and worked on a reservation for much/most of my life. Also have heard much of this non sense about Marshall being an ass before this stuff came out so I feel I can bring some perspective to this situation.

Marshall’s howling with the yelling to get on his horse was totally meant to Be racial/cultural. Marshall himself probably didn’t realize it wasn’t correct if you want to go back to the Asians riding them first. It’s not about being soft when you are degrading someone. In my experience kids want you to be hard on them, they just need to know it’s coming from a place of love. If that’s being soft then sure I guess?

Hmmm.......our resident BADGER is absent.

Wasn't Marshall one of the great, good coaches? Great teacher?
If you are going to try and argue that Marshall is not knowledgeable about basketball and how to scheme it, you’d be a moron. He’s won as much as he has despite his character flaws which shows his competence level with basketball. His personal skills...lack quite a bit to say the least

If you are going to try and argue that Marshall is not knowledgeable about basketball and how to scheme it, you’d be a moron. He’s won as much as he has despite his character flaws which shows his competence level with basketball. His personal skills...lack quite a bit to say the least
So then winning trumps all. Got it.

Not a city slicker here. Also have lived and worked on a reservation for much/most of my life. Also have heard much of this non sense about Marshall being an ass before this stuff came out so I feel I can bring some perspective to this situation.

Marshall’s howling with the yelling to get on his horse was totally meant to Be racial/cultural. Marshall himself probably didn’t realize it wasn’t correct if you want to go back to the Asians riding them first. It’s not about being soft when you are degrading someone. In my experience kids want you to be hard on them, they just need to know it’s coming from a place of love. If that’s being soft then sure I guess?
Bolded: obviously correct.

Silly to pretend there is any other context that matters, in this very specific situation.

I liked Gregg Marshall because he didn't call timeouts which led to less commercial breaks. For that alone, he should be allowed to behave however he chooses (sarcasm).

This might be why no big name ever came with a huge bag of money and stole him out of there. If rumors of this stuff were out there it would be a red flag to a lot of ADs

So then winning trumps all. Got it.
In some places and universities that is correct. I personally don’t believe in that so I am not a fan of him. Can still respect his knowledge of the game, but never hire him or want him as a representative of the U.

In some places and universities that is correct. I personally don’t believe in that so I am not a fan of him. Can still respect his knowledge of the game, but never hire him or want him as a representative of the U.
BADGER disagrees.

Whole bunch of city slickers in this thread. Do you realize that meat doesn't come prepackaged? Do you even know what end of the horse does what? Really sad to see all this on here.

As for Marshall, may he never coach again.

More reports today via The Athletic from his time at Winthrop, similar commentary and abusive language and physical confrontations with players including shoving a player because a Wiffle Ball was broken at his then 2 year old son's birthday party :oops: (I'd link the article, but I don't have it available right now).

Wichita State faculty are wondering why Marshall continues to coach the team amidst these allegations and I wonder myself. It seems quite obvious he has friends in high places and I would imagine has had the run of the athletic department for years. He seems like the type of prick who ingratiates himself with the people he knows hold power and influence and treats those under him like dirt.

Whole bunch of city slickers in this thread. Do you realize that meat doesn't come prepackaged? Do you even know what end of the horse does what? Really sad to see all this on here.

As for Marshall, may he never coach again.
I think he’ll go the Mike Rice route and end up being a HS assistant coach or something like that. He coached Jamir Harris and Dupree at the Patrick School after getting fired from Rutgers.

I think he’ll go the Mike Rice route and end up being a HS assistant coach or something like that. He coached Jamir Harris and Dupree at the Patrick School after getting fired from Rutgers.

I still don't believe he will be fired believe it or not. Koch brothers support can carry waves there.

Context matters - nice post!

More reports today via The Athletic from his time at Winthrop, similar commentary and abusive language and physical confrontations with players including shoving a player because a Wiffle Ball was broken at his then 2 year old son's birthday party :oops: (I'd link the article, but I don't have it available right now).

Wichita State faculty are wondering why Marshall continues to coach the team amidst these allegations and I wonder myself. It seems quite obvious he has friends in high places and I would imagine has had the run of the athletic department for years. He seems like the type of prick who ingratiates himself with the people he knows hold power and influence and treats those under him like dirt.

A Wiffle Stick I can understand, but a ball?

Wild guess: they're struggling to figure out/find a replacement? Or perhaps he has some dirt on higher-ups?

Wild guess: they're struggling to figure out/find a replacement? Or perhaps he has some dirt on higher-ups?
My guess is, there's no really no higher ups at Wichita State and that includes the AD and interim President (who I read took a look of heat for cancelling Ivanka Trump's graduation address) and in maybe not such an indirect way, the only higher ups he needs to concern himself with is the living Koch brother (can't recall which one that is). I'm sure there is a contingent leaning heavily on "there's no one who can do what Marshall has done for us" that is supporting him.

Expect Marshall and WSU to part ways any day now.

Yep, per multiple media reports yesterday:

Wichita State and Gregg Marshall are expected to part ways by the end of the week, multiple sources told Stadium, following a lengthy investigation prompted by Stadium’s initial reporting of physical and and verbal assault that included allegations that he punched a player in a 2015 practice.

Marshall, 57, has been at Wichita State since 2007 and is the school’s all-time winningest coach, taking the Shockers to the Final Four in 2013. He earned $3.5 million in base salary this past season.

Stadium published a report on Oct. 8 in which former player Shaq Morris alleged that Marshall punched him twice during a practice in 2015. There were also allegations from multiple sources that Marshall choked former assistant Kyle Lindsted during the 2016-17 season. The incidents involving Morris and Lindsted were part of numerous allegations of physical and verbal abuse by Marshall against members of Wichita State’s program, more than 30 former and current members of the basketball program told Stadium.

Marshall denied the majority of the allegations. “In response to the allegations put forward in the media, I simply state unequivocally that I have never physically struck a player or colleague,” he wrote in the Wichita Eagle. “Allegations claiming otherwise are false.”

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom