Why won't the Star Tribune call Mar'Keise Irving as "Bucko"?

To be honest, I was calling him Bucky all day yesteday (to myself of course because I have no friends). Not on pupose, just out of habit. But then I thought, That is the only time "Bucky" is not a swear word. In a demented sort of way I like it. I take it as a shot at shitsconsin in that our version is better than theirs. Sort of "Suck it Wisconsin!"

To your point, I wouldn't put it past some of those hacks to do it as a negative shot at Gophers/Fleck.
It is true but put us down as imaginary friends.

To be honest, I was calling him Bucky all day yesteday (to myself of course because I have no friends). Not on pupose, just out of habit. But then I thought, That is the only time "Bucky" is not a swear word. In a demented sort of way I like it. I take it as a shot at shitsconsin in that our version is better than theirs. Sort of "Suck it Wisconsin!"

To your point, I wouldn't put it past some of those hacks to do it as a negative shot at Gophers/Fleck.

I mean, today, Randy Johnson's column goes out of its way to put "Bucky" with MI's full name in multiple places in the article.

I'm grasping at straws here, obviously, but wonder if the Sports Editor is going in and altering the columns after they're submitted, to make the incorrect changes?

Perhaps in cahoots with Ruesse and Souhan, to jab Fleck's eye, who they clearly hate?
Please show me another major newspaper that gives coverage to a rival team.

it's been a while since I cared enough to read the star and sycle but they were caring regular blurbs about the Badgers for a while.

back when nespapers were relevant the old saying in Chicago was the Tribune was good for the news. The sun times was good for wrapping dead fish in.

the Strib has been junk since the papers merged. The sports section in particular has lived up ti Mark Twain's old adage. If yiu don't read the paper, you are uninformed. If you do read the paper yiu are misinformed.

all of that said, MI's nickname is Bucky. Fleck can try to make it into another "feel good" story all he wants. Personally, who cares? Beat Iowa. Beat Wisconsin. That matters.

Justin Gaard and Ryan Burns call him Bucky...they must not follow the team either ;):rolleyes:

Kid has had Bucky as his nickname for most of his life.

i think Bucko sounds like sht. I hate.

if the team head coaches are so sensitive to Bucky as a nickname for one of their players thats on them.

i personally like Bucky Irving as the nickname, very catchy

Bucko? Not at all.
Agree. Bucko is dumb.

Even as I typed this message my phone autocorrected it to Bucky.

They did it again today.

I hope PJ bitchslaps them at the press conference. Hope he uses "Bucko" 20-30 times in his statements about his running backs. Force the STrib to print it.

Right across the face. *CRACK*

Also, LOLOLOL!!!111@@@ to the people saying things like:

[whiny, high pitched nerd voice] I don't likeeee Buckooo *sniffle* [/]

Players shall be called what they prefer to be called. Objective. End of story.

Bucko is kind of lame. Teammates are still using Bucky, I will stick with Bucky.

Has he said what he wants to be called? Has anyone asked him? The online roster, media guide and weekly game notes all refer to him only by his given name.

Sure . . . but what evidence do we have that he prefers it?

Has he said what he wants to be called? Has anyone asked him? The online roster, media guide and weekly game notes all refer to him only by his given name.
Do you really need to ask a guy who has been called Bucky all his life what he likes to be called? Richard? Napoleon?

Do you really need to ask a guy who has been called Bucky all his life what he likes to be called? Richard? Napoleon?
I was responding to the OP who expressed outrage that the local newspaper was using his childhood nickname in print. I think it's all rather silly, but his circumstances have changed. His coach has joked that he told him that he needed a different name. He has commented in the media about the humor involved in the fact that his nickname and a rival's nickname are the same. Some people have called him Bucko, some still use Bucky and some use his given name. Before we get the torches and pitchforks and head down to the Strib, maybe it's worth asking him what he wants to be called.

If Bucky is his real nickname, we should go with that - the thin tie to one of the Badgers' nicknames should be unimportant. Bucko sounds artificial.
Hear, hear! It just goes to show you how much the Badgers are in the Gophers' heads. I would rather have seen them keep "Bucky", run with it and give a big old F you to Wisconsin.

I was responding to the OP who expressed outrage that the local newspaper was using his childhood nickname in print. I think it's all rather silly, but his circumstances have changed. His coach has joked that he told him that he needed a different name. He has commented in the media about the humor involved in the fact that his nickname and a rival's nickname are the same. Some people have called him Bucko, some still use Bucky and some use his given name. Before we get the torches and pitchforks and head down to the Strib, maybe it's worth asking him what he wants to be called.
Don't know your real name but if we were introduced and I responded with "But what do you really like to be called?", would you think it strange?

Our guy is Bucky. The Whisky skunk is Becky. No confusion.

Call him what he wants to be called. Good player.

And either way, the Star Tribune is still wrong.

Don't know your real name but if we were introduced and I responded with "But what do you really like to be called?", would you think it strange?
I actually do that quite regularly. Just last week I met a guy in a professional context named Stephen. My friend, who knew him in school, calls him "Red" and the guy who actually did the intro called him "Steve." Given that we'll be doing some business together over the next few months, I did ask him what he wanted to be called.

I actually do that quite regularly. Just last week I met a guy in a professional context named Stephen. My friend, who knew him in school, calls him "Red" and the guy who actually did the intro called him "Steve." Given that we'll be doing some business together over the next few months, I did ask him what he wanted to be called.
I expect that if his preference is in fact Red, you'll notify him that he'll need to indeed change it to Maroon. Please confirm.

They did it again today.

I hope PJ bitchslaps them at the press conference. Hope he uses "Bucko" 20-30 times in his statements about his running backs. Force the STrib to print it.

Right across the face. *CRACK*
Good grief. His teammates call him Bucky. Fleck seems to be the only one who doesn't.

Why can't the OP write a thread topic with something better than 2nd grade grammar?

Which is Bucky

Sports editor is a Wisconsin grad
Is Ryan Burns a Wisconsin grad? Are other members of the Gopher Sports team all Anti-Gopher?

The irony of people telling all of us to call him what he wants to be called when they are the ones who are not calling him by his name.

His nickname is Bucky...the only ones who don't seem to get PJs little joke are knowitalls around here.

He is Bucky.....We are taking possession of the name! We will force Wisconsin to change their skunk's name.

He is Bucky.....We are taking possession of the name! We will force Wisconsin to change their skunk's name.
Sucky!!!!!!! OK, not very funny but I want to be immature.

Kid has had Bucky as his nickname for most of his life.

i think Bucko sounds like sht. I hate.

if the team head coaches are so sensitive to Bucky as a nickname for one of their players thats on them.

i personally like Bucky Irving as the nickname, very catchy

Bucko? Not at all.
I agree, unless he comes out and says he is now Bucko, I think it shows respect to call him Bucky.

Top Bottom