Why won't the Star Tribune call Mar'Keise Irving as "Bucko"?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
They keep purposefully misprinting his nickname as "Bucky".

Is it a troll shot at Fleck?

It shows that except for a few, Strib sports beat reporters aren't as in touch with the Gophers. Maybe part of it is the pandemic.

How often do you see Souhan at the Athletic Village or any Gopher Media events?

Sid set some bars that is impossible to attain. He was legendary.

Most importantly, he loves Gopher Athletics. He deserves to have a statue of him at the Athletic Village.

I mean, today, Randy Johnson's column goes out of its way to put "Bucky" with MI's full name in multiple places in the article.

I'm grasping at straws here, obviously, but wonder if the Sports Editor is going in and altering the columns after they're submitted, to make the incorrect changes?

Perhaps in cahoots with Ruesse and Souhan, to jab Fleck's eye, who they clearly hate?

If the uneducated political activists at the disgraceful Star Tribune ever get anything correct it is surely by accident. In this case they are correct. The Gopher running back is Bucky Irving. The Wisconsin weakling mascot is Becky. No confusion.

To be honest, I was calling him Bucky all day yesteday (to myself of course because I have no friends). Not on pupose, just out of habit. But then I thought, That is the only time "Bucky" is not a swear word. In a demented sort of way I like it. I take it as a shot at shitsconsin in that our version is better than theirs. Sort of "Suck it Wisconsin!"

To your point, I wouldn't put it past some of those hacks to do it as a negative shot at Gophers/Fleck.

Last edited:

Not sure if it's still the case, but if it's the same Sports Editor as it was a couple years ago, he is a Wisconsin fan (and obvious major dink).

Not sure if it's still the case, but if it's the same Sports Editor as it was a couple years ago, he is a Wisconsin fan (and obvious major dink).
https://www.startribune.com/chris-carr/6370474/

Chris Carr

Assistant Managing Editor/Sports | Newsroom
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 612-673-4534
Chris Carr is the Star Tribune's Assistant Managing Editor for Sports.

A native of Richfield, Carr grew up reading the Star Tribune. Somewhere in his mom's basement is an old photo of Chris, sitting on 1970s shag carpet in some groovy brown corduroys, holding a Star Tribune that was bigger than he was. After graduating from Wisconsin-Eau Claire, He worked in Washington D.C., Milwaukee and Charlotte before jumping at an opportunity to work for the hometown newspaper. He will always only own male dogs, so he at least has a fighting chance at home against the three ladies (two little ones, one grown-up) of his life.

If Bucky is his real nickname, we should go with that - the thin tie to one of the Badgers' nicknames should be unimportant. Bucko sounds artificial.

I agree. Irving's nickname has nothing to do with the Wisconsin FB program. The character Bucky Barnes in Marvel Comics and movies has nothing to do with Wisconsin FB. The character named "Gopher" on 'The Love Boat' had nothing to do with Minnesota FB.

If the Gophers recruited a player who had "Hawkeye" as his high school nickname, would they insist that he change his nickname?

I agree. Irving's nickname has nothing to do with the Wisconsin FB program. The character Bucky Barnes in Marvel Comics and movies has nothing to do with Wisconsin FB. The character named "Gopher" on 'The Love Boat' had nothing to do with Minnesota FB.

If the Gophers recruited a player who had "Hawkeye" as his high school nickname, would they insist that he change his nickname?
@Ho Jon would agree with you about the Hawkeye part. MASH reference.

I'm shocked they even knew his nickname was Bucky to begin with because they never seem to know anything about the Gopher Football program.

I'm shocked they even knew his nickname was Bucky to begin with because they never seem to know anything about the Gopher Football program.
I'm pleasantly surprised Beth Mowins calls him Bucko. She got the memo. Everyone else on ESPN wouldn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

They keep purposefully misprinting his nickname as "Bucky".

Is it a troll shot at Fleck?
Give me a break. The other players still call him Bucky. It was funny for a week.

I’m fine with Bucky. I actually would enjoy hearing about Bucky scoring on Bucky. Higher entertainment factor.

He shall be known as “Bucky” from this day forward.

Kid has had Bucky as his nickname for most of his life.

i think Bucko sounds like sht. I hate.

if the team head coaches are so sensitive to Bucky as a nickname for one of their players thats on them.

i personally like Bucky Irving as the nickname, very catchy

Bucko? Not at all.

It is obvious that paranoia is endemic among MN fans but seeing it manifested after a satisfying win is a bit puzzling.
Yet here you are posting on our board.

All conspiracy theories aside, it's probably what's in the media guide. That, and they don't really follow the team very closely

Top Bottom