Why We Lost

Heck of a game. If you guys play like that all year you will win a lot more than you lose. I've rarely seen UW get hammered on the boards like tonight. If we don't shoot like that from the line this game isn't that close in your favor, or if Hoffarber/Nolen is guarding Taylor during the last 10 minutes of the first half. I'm glad we won't be visiting the barn this year.

ding, ding, ding....we have a winner!! If this game is played in MN, Gophers win by 8. Give credit to Becky for closing the game out and making their 3 pt shots and FTs.

Overall our shot selection wasn't that bad (especially for us). Even though Devoe took some hideous shots, he was very efficient last night. His shots that go in don't look like they're good looks a lot of hte time. That's just how he plays.

We came out of a timeout with a set play. Devoe totally ignored the instructions and went for a 3. He even missed the basket with that shot. I thought Tubby was going to kill him. Bad shot selections like this cost games.

Go Gophers

Exactly. I just posted a similar comment on another thread. Those two and Berggren is what I thought hurt us because they were so efficient.

Tim Jarmusz and Keaton Nankevil combining to shoot 5-6 from 3-pt range was the difference. Everybody else pretty much did as expected. Those guys hitting those extra 2-3 threes than they normally would percentage-wise put Becky over the top.

Gotcha. Devoe can be really frustrating at times but I thought he was fine last night. Obviously he took some really ugly shots (although some he had to because he got the ball with a low shot clock) but he still was very efficient. I wish he'd drive more and dish like he did last night but he typically struggles to get by his man or finish near the rim.

I see what you're saying about Ralph but if you think about it he couldn't really go 4-4 from the ft line. He only had 4 ft attempts at the end because he missed his 2nd attempt and we got the rebound. If he had made his first 2 fts there never would've been a 3rd or 4th. It would've been nice if he had made his last 2 fts but ultimately we didn't secure the last rebound anyway.

Joseph is killing me: Devoe is killing me because I really like Devoe and want him on the floor. I think our best lineup is Blake, Al, Devoe, and two bigs. How Devoe is killing me is by taking quick threes with no rebounders around or dribbling 20 feet from the basket as the clock winds down and tossing up a three. As you call them, "what are you doing shots?" :D

I think he is better off driving and shooting or driving and passing in those spots as evidenced by the great plays you refer to.

Ralph did not step up: I was referring to the two missed free throws with the game on the line. Yes, Ralph had a pretty good second half but crunch time is crunch time and we needed him to go 4 for 4 from the line, not 2 for 4 at the end.

That being said Ralph and Devoe were two solid reasons why we had a chance at the end.

I think Tubbys rotation is what really bothers me about this game. I thought this was going to end when big ten play started but it hasn't. At the start of the game, we dominated with our staring line up and set the pace. All of the sudden we put in an (almost) entire new line which loses us our lead and all momentum going into half. Tubby needs to spread out his substitutions rather than use his "hockey line changes". It's like we go into defensive, "stop the bleeding" mode until we can bring back in our starters and it kills us.

Teams are going to keep their best players in the game as much as possible. For us, that is Mbakwe and it showed. He needs more than 29 minutes. Wisconsin played Taylor and Leuer 39 and 37 minutes each. I realize Trevor was in foul trouble (one of which was complete bull), but if he fouls out near the end, he fouls out. We are capable of playing without him if we absolutely need to.

Jay Wright disagrees with you.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13665340/five-for-friday-leuer-gains-a-fan-early-vegas-impressions

Leuer is not an NBA quality player. There are taller, bigger players out there that shoot miles better than him. There are bigger players who move and dribble better than him. He's a great college player but he won't do doing anything in the NBA. Maybe he can sit on the end of the bench and play 2 minutes a night, but he will not be able to defend for a second in the NBA. He will not be able to create any sort of shot for himself in the NBA. He's a worse version of Adam Morrison...

Honestly, what makes you think Leuer could do ANYTHING in the NBA? He is beyond slow. Did you see him on those 2 fast breaks last night. One time he couldn't finish against a guy he had 7 inches on and another time he just lost the ball awkwardly out of bounds.

He can shoot well and he's tall, but he doesn't have the bounce or the drive in his game to ever start a game in the NBA.

That said, Trevor has no chance in the NBA either. He has no post moves and he also doesn't have a jump shot. He's also slightly undersized for a 4. No chance at this point.

I think Tubbys rotation is what really bothers me about this game. I thought this was going to end when big ten play started but it hasn't. At the start of the game, we dominated with our staring line up and set the pace. All of the sudden we put in an (almost) entire new line which loses us our lead and all momentum going into half. Tubby needs to spread out his substitutions rather than use his "hockey line changes". It's like we go into defensive, "stop the bleeding" mode until we can bring back in our starters and it kills us.

Teams are going to keep their best players in the game as much as possible. For us, that is Mbakwe and it showed. He needs more than 29 minutes. Wisconsin played Taylor and Leuer 39 and 37 minutes each. I realize Trevor was in foul trouble (one of which was complete bull), but if he fouls out near the end, he fouls out. We are capable of playing without him if we absolutely need to.

Was it Mavs 3 minutes with Nolen in foul trouble, or Chip and Austin playing 6 each that bothered you so much?

Was it Mavs 3 minutes with Nolen in foul trouble, or Chip and Austin playing 6 each that bothered you so much?

I didn't mention Chip, Mav, or Austin specifically, did I? What I was complaining about was the fact that Tubby pulled 4 of our 5 starters and put in one starter, along with two bench players, and two freshmen. All I was saying is that when you pull all of your best players at once, you are going to take a hit.

The only other complaint I was making was the fact that Wisconsin played their two best players a majority of the game while Mbakwe played less than 30 minutes. I realize he was in foul trouble but he does us no good on the bench. While Colt rebounded well last night, he struggled on the offensive end (shooting 1 for 5), and didn't do much better guarding the badgers big men.

I like that Tubby has a deep bench and gets his freshmen some decent minutes but a good team plays their best players as much as possible. That is how we will win games against tougher opponents and that is why we haven't been able to put away worse teams this year.

Leuer can make an NBA team. He will have trouble guarding 4's and has no chance guarding 3's. Trevor is probably 6'6" and change without shoes so he would have to work his tale off to be a energy guy off a bench. I would take Taylor over any other pg in the big ten. His defense is better than Lucas, McCamey, or Battle.

Top Bottom