Why this team should play zone

We are already terrible at preventing offensive rebounds, so falling off that ledge isn't very high. We have to stop something, and playing man we can't stop anything; we don't stop 3's, layups, nor offensive rebounds. At least playing zone we can stop layups. At this point its madness to keep playing man. We literally have dual directional schools and a D3 school running past our man defense game in and game out.
I'm not against playing zone, I was just responding to the idea that rebounding is easier when playing zone. I think rebounding is one of the disadvantages to playing it. One of the advantages is that we currently cannot stop anyone from driving.

We execute offensive sets out of timeouts really well. We often score...at the least we usually get a good shot.
So far, this year, I'm not sure what the next best observation would be? Our half court offense very often is a mystery. Most times it looks like different guys saying...it's my turn...I'm shooting with no plan how.
Defensively, we have a plan. What exactly it is? I'm not sure. I can't quite see the vision Ben has of how it is going to evolve and stop people.
Hopefully, we add more segments we can all point to and say we are really good at that. Defense, free throw shooting and rebounding seem a ways off.

I’m thinking that if we had a healthy Ihnen and Fox that the teams rebounding and defense would be better just because of experience. I know it doesn’t address other guards blowing by our guards. Hopefully through the portal we attract some better guards.

I’m thinking that if we had a healthy Ihnen and Fox that the teams rebounding and defense would be better just because of experience. I know it doesn’t address other guards blowing by our guards. Hopefully through the portal we attract some better guards.
Nah. D2 guy and Ben’s broken down roommate wouldn’t help much.

These kids need to learn how to play man-to-man. I'll sacrifice a loss this year for great man-to-man defense in the years to come. This year, I might think of switching on all screens when Samuels isn't on the court as we have similar heights when he's not on the court. I also might pack my defense in tighter and allow passing around the perimeter to help cover for kids getting beat off the dribble. Stop giving lanes to drive off the dribble by getting pulled out too far on the perimeter.
This year is a high learning curve for the young ones so teach them how to play great man-to-man defense this year.

Top Bottom