Why this team should play zone

Well, just hope he plays all year long against short, weak, opponents.
Honestly, TT is a tall shooting guard who cannot dribble or pass. I would love to see him develop a post game, but at present he just doesn't have it in his abilities. Learning how to play with your back to the basket is a skill all 7'persons should have, but TT just doesn't have it. Both he and Garcia just get tossed around. If you imagine TT is any answer to defensive liabilities, you are simply deluded.
Relax man, sit back and have a cool one. TT will be great by 2025! Go watch women's volleyball! What's with the moaning?

Playing with your back to the basket is an offensive skill and we are talking about defense. I'm not saying TT is a world beater but it was clear last night their defense was much improved with him in the game playing zone. We don't have many options, obviously it's not ideal to give him big minutes against most teams. Numbers from last night do not lie however.
No, it wasn't. Pine Bluff just can't shoot 3s. TT was slow to rotate. Against another team he'd have been torched. If you imagine the teams in the B1G are equal to Pine Bluff then you could make a point, but you're kidding yourself if you think playing zone is going to make us defensively solid.
No, this team needs to play man most times and learn how to rotate off ball.
Our coaches are working with the kids. They are going to get it.

Relax man, sit back and have a cool one. TT will be great by 2025! Go watch women's volleyball! What's with the moaning?
Man, I hope he is great by 2025. But, playing zone isn't going to help him be great by that time.

I do like women's volleyball so I will definitely take you up on the latter.

No, it wasn't. Pine Bluff just can't shoot 3s. TT was slow to rotate. Against another team he'd have been torched. If you imagine the teams in the B1G are equal to Pine Bluff then you could make a point, but you're kidding yourself if you think playing zone is going to make us defensively solid.
No, this team needs to play man most times and learn how to rotate off ball.
Our coaches are working with the kids. They are going to get it.
We saw positive results last night and you wanna negative Nancy all over it? C'mon man! I'm only interested in what helps the team win. I'm sorry you are not happy they didn't win your preferred way. The coaches had all summer to work with the team. They might get better over the course of the season, but usually that is not where the most growth occurs. TT was +16 in 11 minutes. Facts.

We saw positive results last night and you wanna negative Nancy all over it? C'mon man! I'm only interested in what helps the team win. I'm sorry you are not happy they didn't win your preferred way. The coaches had all summer to work with the team. They might get better over the course of the season, but usually that is not where the most growth occurs. TT was +16 in 11 minutes. Facts.
You're short sited. You want to see a win now that may make it harder to see a win later.
If you think TT is the answer to the long term, good for you.

You're short sited. You want to see a win now that may make it harder to see a win later.
If you think TT is the answer to the long term, good for you.
The coaches get paid a lot of money to win games, so yeah that's what I want to see. If they can't play man against APB, what makes YOU think they can play man in the B1G? What adjustments will the staff make going forward to ensure their man defense improves this season? What was the off season for? If they change their current philosophy on man, then maybe it will improve. Their rotations are slow so maybe they can stop the aggressive hedge on the ball screen. If they simplify what they are doing, maybe it will be more successful.

Correct. Unfortunately we are getting beaten to a pulp by the other team's guards driving right past ours- making the zone a viable option this year- unless we want to continue to lose.
Yeah, I agree. Zone is definitely our best defense.

The coaches get paid a lot of money to win games, so yeah that's what I want to see. If they can't play man against APB, what makes YOU think they can play man in the B1G? What adjustments will the staff make going forward to ensure their man defense improves this season? What was the off season for? If they change their current philosophy on man, then maybe it will improve. Their rotations are slow so maybe they can stop the aggressive hedge on the ball screen. If they simplify what they are doing, maybe it will be more successful.
As I said, you are short sited. Like one of those parents in tee ball that care about winning and couldn't care less about learning the game.

As I said, you are short sited. Like one of those parents in tee ball that care about winning and couldn't care less about learning the game.
How exactly do you win a tee ball game and learn nothing about the game?

It might be helpful if you & the 'win now at any cost' crowd takes a break from watching the games. I think you get too worked up about it and lose track of the big picture.

Nope, I compared you to a T-ball parent who cares only about winning.
I'm happy that analogy works for you. Remind everyone why we hired Ben. I think it was because the prior guy didn't win enough. Most D1 coaches work on lifetime contracts with no expectations of winning, right?

I'm happy that analogy works for you. Remind everyone why we hired Ben. I think it was because the prior guy didn't win enough. Most D1 coaches work on lifetime contracts with no expectations of winning, right?
My ❤️ is pumping 🐪💦 for you again. 😭 me a 🏞️.

Good coaches adapt their schemes to the talent, not the other way around. This particular team should play zone. Doesn't mean we have to do it forever. It's not like switching from zone to man-to-man in basketball is the equivalent of going from a spread offense to running the option or something.

Good coaches adapt their schemes to the talent, not the other way around. This particular team should play zone. Doesn't mean we have to do it forever. It's not like switching from zone to man-to-man in basketball is the equivalent of going from a spread offense to running the option or something.
This.

I suppose you guys will think the Gophers should play man to man next year when Evans is on the court!

Putting that guy anywhere but in the paint to adjust and block shots would be coaching malpractice.

See how many of you love the zone when he makes our defense way more effective.

Zones almost always are more susceptible to offensive rebounds.
We are already terrible at preventing offensive rebounds, so falling off that ledge isn't very high. We have to stop something, and playing man we can't stop anything; we don't stop 3's, layups, nor offensive rebounds. At least playing zone we can stop layups. At this point its madness to keep playing man. We literally have dual directional schools and a D3 school running past our man defense game in and game out.

If you can see anything beyond the current game we are watching can you let us all know so that we can make some bets?
I can definitely see beyond the current game. I can definitely see that we're not going to win many Big Ten games or contend for an NCAA bid this year.

I can see which players have potential. I can see which recruits have potential. My hope is to line-up 5 very good starters all on the same team by the year-after-next. Possibly by next year, but I'm not counting on it.

Top Bottom