Why the lack of FBS/BCS offers for top MN HS players?

Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0

New Orleans 2020
Reaction score
I went to the recruiting tab here on GH because I was curious to see who was being offered FBS scholarships for '15. I was surprised to see that outside of Cornell, nobody received any offers. So I went on 247 to get more info and found that only Drayton Carlberg (Minneapolis DeLasalle) received FBS offers. Schlichte, Connelly, and Corcoran haven't received such offers yet. In fact, Sclichte's lone offer so far is from MSU-Mankato according to 247 which considering he's ranked a top 500 borderline 4-star player is particularly baffling.

Is there any new information on these kids recruiting wise or are schools waiting until summer camps to evaluate them better before offering? I'm curious to know why there isn't more interest in these guys.

Obviously, college coaches have not yet found out how great all of these guys must be.
Seriously, some of these kids may turn out to be great, but until they go to camp all the coaches have to go on is junior tapes. A lot of large kids develop late. Based on his comments I am sure CKill would love to not allow teams to offer guys before the summer of their senior season so coaches actually know what they are getting.

I have no doubt Kill will find some "sleepers" in the group that will contribute. Went to Curse's rivals link in a different thread. Looks thin, but the proof is in the camps. I am not ready to be disappointed. Start by keeping Cornell at home where he belongs, in Maroon and Gold. JJ set the pattern. Keep it rolling!

Another down year for in-state talent...

I know it isn't realistic to get 25 recruits good enough to receive high offers, but it seems like last year, comparable recruits were getting offers at this time while this year has been pretty slow. Guys like Ricardo Johnson and Andrew Stelter received FBS offers along with Jones and Ragnow by last spring. Johnson is a borderline FBS recruit and Hawaii offered fall of 2012.

I'm not sure why Schlichte hasn't been offered yet. I would think he would have multiple offers by now with his credentials. It may be down some but I still am mystified.

There are years our HS has had more FBS recruits than the state of Minnesota. I think it is culture and development more than anything else.

Minnesota does pretty well in basketball and hockey. It is just football.

I think Kill's Minnesota walk on program is going to turn some heads in time.

Hockey. If hockey wasn't so big in Minnesota, you would have more D-1 football players. Guys like Alt, Bjugstad, and Fasching would be football players. You can play football and just about any other sport, but it takes a special athlete to play both at a high level in Minnesota. Mark Alt nearly ruined his hockey career getting injured in football. Most parents won't take that chance. Hockey is a 365 sport now, it wasn't 30 years ago. You can almost tie HS football's fade to the 1980 Olympics.

Hockey affects the pool of D-1 football players substantially in a state this size.

I still have a hard time believing that a recruit ranked as high as Schlichte doesn't have at least a mid-major FBS offer. Maybe his lack of size and athleticism scares recruiters a bit and is overrated by the recruiting services.

JMO....The culture. When kids see other kids in their school or conference getting scholarship offers the more it encourages them to work harder to earn one for themselves. Since kids here have not seen a lot of other kids get such opportunities they take football for what it’s worth in high school. Kids in the South who see three kids from their own high school a year offered scholarships see it as a real possibility and feel encouraged to do whatever it takes to earn one too. By that I mean training hard year round, going to camps, and taking performance enhancing drugs (unfortunately). The success feeds itself. The same goes for community involvement for facilities and interest, as well as having scouts and coaches give you the benefit of the doubt because you are from a place where the competition is perceived as at a higher level.

Coach Kill will not waste scholarships on "wannabe's" He wants them to summer camps so he and his staff can evaluate in person.

In my opinion only, If you were to take time out and watch HS football from around the nation (by that I mean Friday evenings' National "featured" games of the week), you'll get the answer to your question (honest truth).

The talent gaps and sheer numbers in the talent pool in other areas are incredible. Watch featured teams and their opponents and it isn't even close (eg. Bishop Gorman, NV; Our Lady of Good Counsel, MD; Servite, CA; Brother Rice, MI; Long Beach Poly, CA; DeMatha, MD; Aquinas, FL; Moeller, OH; Massillon, OH; Bellevue, WA et al.).

This year, for example, California is absolutely stacked in terms of D-I talent.

In my opinion only, If you were to take time out and watch HS football from around the nation (by that I mean Friday evenings' National "featured" games of the week), you'll get the answer to your question (honest truth).

The talent gaps and sheer numbers in the talent pool in other areas are incredible. Watch featured teams and their opponents and it isn't even close (eg. Bishop Gorman, NV; Our Lady of Good Counsel, MD; Servite, CA; Brother Rice, MI; Long Beach Poly, CA; DeMatha, MD; Aquinas, FL; Moeller, OH; Massillon, OH; Bellevue, WA et al.).

This year, for example, California is absolutely stacked in terms of D-I talent.

Coach Kill and his Staff need you to be their advance scout.

I still have a hard time believing that a recruit ranked as high as Schlichte doesn't have at least a mid-major FBS offer. Maybe his lack of size and athleticism scares recruiters a bit and is overrated by the recruiting services.

rankings are ****ing worthless... jesus people

So i was looking more at Melvin Holland's film and his twitter and i ended up watching 4-5 other guys tape too that go to Briar Woods and i must say it sure made me realize how weak Minnesota football is at at least the skill positions. Melvin Holland is one thing who is easily head and shoulders above any minnesota WR but there was another WR on BW that is a high 3 star and has offers from Stanford and Virginia tech and a few others. It turns out that he was temporarily ranked the #1 WR in the country by scout for the 2015 class who's name is brandon polk. He also is quite a bit better then Holland and looks much faster then even Berkley. There QB Trace Mcsorley is Penn State bound and he is even faster then Melvin Holland and light years better then any QB in Minnesota. 2 other WRs are getting D1 interest and have recruiting pages who i think would both be considered top 5 WRs in this state and one kid on defense in the 2015 class an OLB that goes there as well looks to be superior athletically then anybody not named Cornell on D. I am not aware if they recruit or not but this is just one school who didn't even win their championship in their class which isn't even the biggest class in Virginia which isn't considered a top 10 state in producing talent. I would not only would take the entire Briar Woods skill position core over any HS in MN but i think in a few years if they stayed together they would be much more explosive then the gophers skill position core has been the last few years.

Hockey. If hockey wasn't so big in Minnesota, you would have more D-1 football players. Guys like Alt, Bjugstad, and Fasching would be football players. You can play football and just about any other sport, but it takes a special athlete to play both at a high level in Minnesota. Mark Alt nearly ruined his hockey career getting injured in football. Most parents won't take that chance. Hockey is a 365 sport now, it wasn't 30 years ago. You can almost tie HS football's fade to the 1980 Olympics.

Hockey affects the pool of D-1 football players substantially in a state this size.

And we still lose in hockey when it counts..........to the football school Buckeyes!

rankings are ****ing worthless... jesus people

Really!! So when all four recruiting services rank a recruit at least 3-stars and one has him a 4-star, they have no idea what they are talking about and this kid doesn't have a skill set to be a big time recruit. I would think they know enough and see enough to be really confident that this recruit should be attractive to FBS schools.

The question I've raised isn't a matter of the state having 30+ FBS quality recruits every year.That will never happen. It seems like there are at least four offers by this time each year. This year, there should one or two more offers by any FBS programs and I find it odd that they lack offers. I get that 5-star recruits sometimes bomb and two-star recruits can blow up and become superstars. I think when the services are consistent on a recruit, it is enough to gauge where a certain recruit will go at the next level. Schlichte in particular having no FBS or FCS offers right now is quite puzzling.

Well, if Ohio St lost 17 of its underclassmen to the NFL this offseason, my guess is the Gophers might beat them in football the next season as well. The difference being that OSU wouldn't STILL be ranked #1 going into the post season.

Looking at OSU players in the NHL, starting at the top of the list going down, Kessel all by himself had scored more points, 75, than the entire OSU NHL contingent minus the last guy I had to look up, they had 72 combined points. Their 8th guy, Umberger had 33 to give them a total of 105 pts scored in the NHL so far this season. Kessel, Okposo and Wheeler combine for 203. If you did not count the 6 highest point scoring former Gophers in the NHL, the remaining 9 guys would still have more points in the NHL than OSU's contingent.

So i was looking more at Melvin Holland's film and his twitter and i ended up watching 4-5 other guys tape too that go to Briar Woods and i must say it sure made me realize how weak Minnesota football is at at least the skill positions. Melvin Holland is one thing who is easily head and shoulders above any minnesota WR but there was another WR on BW that is a high 3 star and has offers from Stanford and Virginia tech and a few others. It turns out that he was temporarily ranked the #1 WR in the country by scout for the 2015 class who's name is brandon polk. He also is quite a bit better then Holland and looks much faster then even Berkley. There QB Trace Mcsorley is Penn State bound and he is even faster then Melvin Holland and light years better then any QB in Minnesota. 2 other WRs are getting D1 interest and have recruiting pages who i think would both be considered top 5 WRs in this state and one kid on defense in the 2015 class an OLB that goes there as well looks to be superior athletically then anybody not named Cornell on D. I am not aware if they recruit or not but this is just one school who didn't even win their championship in their class which isn't even the biggest class in Virginia which isn't considered a top 10 state in producing talent. I would not only would take the entire Briar Woods skill position core over any HS in MN but i think in a few years if they stayed together they would be much more explosive then the gophers skill position core has been the last few years.

It is nice to see you took some time out to watch film and you are spot on in your assessment of the Briar kids. It is football at another level. Virginia does pretty well in terms of producing talent (ranked 12th from 2008-2013: http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/11/4718442/college-football-state-texas-california-florida). It had 3 5-star kids and 15 4-star kids that signed in February, I believe. They ranked 10th this year with 27: http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1470883

247 ranked schlichte a 4 star. If you recall they also ranked Leidner ahead of Nelson. The other services ranked Nelson higher than Leidner. The other services don't rank schlichte as high as 247 does. Schlichte's 247 composite is similar to Nelson's coming out of high school.

What I'm trying to illustrate is that ranking qbs is an in exact science, at best. These rankings are all over the map yet we hang on them as the final word. Like Dr. Don said they need to be evaluated in person and all circumstances considered. Leidner's coach said he embarrassed Nelson at a high school QB camp, foreshadowing what we witnessed this past year.

Being an expert QB evaluator...nothing pops on Schlichte's video. Average speed, arm strength; "system QB" perhaps. Compare Leidner's arm strength on his hudl. Look at Streveler's incredible running abilities on his hudl. Schlicte looks to me like a slightly smaller and slower Nelson. What do you guys that follow MN HS football hear on the ground?

That said, a QB needs to have the it factor to make it all work. Weak-armed Kellen Moore comes to mind. Phenomenal college QB because he had it upstairs. Do we have that QB? Does Schlichte have "it"?

247 ranked schlichte a 4 star. If you recall they also ranked Leidner ahead of Nelson. The other services ranked Nelson higher than Leidner. The other services don't rank schlichte as high as 247 does. Schlichte's 247 composite is similar to Nelson's coming out of high school.

What I'm trying to illustrate is that ranking qbs is an in exact science, at best. These rankings are all over the map yet we hang on them as the final word. Like Dr. Don said they need to be evaluated in person and all circumstances considered. Leidner's coach said he embarrassed Nelson at a high school QB camp, foreshadowing what we witnessed this past year.

Being an expert QB evaluator...nothing pops on Schlichte's video. Average speed, arm strength; "system QB" perhaps. Compare Leidner's arm strength on his hudl. Look at Streveler's incredible running abilities on his hudl. Schlicte looks to me like a slightly smaller and slower Nelson. What do you guys that follow MN HS football hear on the ground?

That said, a QB needs to have the it factor to make it all work. Weak-armed Kellen Moore comes to mind. Phenomenal college QB because he had it upstairs. Do we have that QB? Does Schlichte have "it"?

Kellen Moore is the one QB that comes to mind when I think of Schlichte. If he commits to the Gophers, I hope he exhibits his intangibles.

I hope Schlichte is more mobile...Moore had zero mobility but he could extend plays long enough for his receivers to get open. He had that rare Montana-like ability to place the ball exactly where it needs to be with nice touch. Had to be incredibly frustrating for opposing players and coaches. He made some Boise St receivers look good that flamed out in the nfl.

I would take Moore over just about any of the 6-4 big-armed QBs at the helmet schools. Fun to watch for four years. Not sure he'll ever get a chance to start in the nfl.

Btw, here's that article referencing from the lakeville coach

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_24168225/gophers-football-from-prep-passer-college-runner-mitch

Top Bottom