Why Stoudermire at WR?

Why weren't these guys moved to offense?

Deion Sanders
Ed Reed
Charles Woodson

They all were/are explosive with the ball. Why didn't their teams move them to WR?

I do indeed agree with both of those statements. However, as I have stated many times already in this thread, there was no need to move him to offense if all you're going to do is, in one way or another, hand or pitch him the ball. You don't need WR skills (hands, route running, blocking, etc.) to do that. Charles Woodson won a Heisman by doing this (while staying on defense).

If they do plan on turning him into a traditional WR, then fine. Grunkiejr said he's seen evidence of it already.

Because those guys were All American, Hall of Fame caliber corners. I really hope you don't think that's a legit comparison. TS obviously isn't that good or he never would've been moved last year. The thing that is killing me is that you keep making my point and you're right:
TS should've stayed at CB if (and I do mean IF) he looked like a real player there. The thing you're ignoring is that the coaches had 2 months to watch him at CB and decide if his potential there was greater than his potential on O. THEY ACTUALLY EVALUATED THE KID! Maybe he didn't have the hips for corner. Maybe he didn't have the instincts. Maybe his heart burned to play WR. WE DON'T KNOW AND NEITHER DO YOU! That's the point. They saw him and felt he'd be better at WR than DB and who are you or anyone else to tell them they made the wrong decision when you've never seen him play 1 snap at DB??????

Reading posts like have been posted in this thread are actually painful to read. The number of places people are wrong is staggering. And by people i mean dpodoll68

dpodoll68 since you like to mention talented defensive players, let me throw a better example at you. Devin Hester. He is much more explosive than the players listed above and he is now playing what? Wide Receiver if i'm not mistaken. He should obviously be moved to CB right? RIGHT?!?

That is the obvious answer. As I have already stated, that may be the case, but even if so, I don't feel the length of time they gave him at CB was sufficient to determine that he couldn't play there. Why switch a guy who was a QB to defense if you're going to give up on him after preseason practice and a handful of games?

Are you...are you serious? That's what literally this entire thread has been about. If you can't go back and read, I'm not going to spoonfeed you something I've already said at least 3 or 4 times.

Yes I get it. Your point is that even though he is very explosive and does a lot of good things when he has the ball, that's still not good enough of a reason to move him to WR because we aren't deep at DB.

The point that has been made many, many times is that you're not a coach, you didn't see him as a CB everyday. Yet you seem to think that we would be better off with him as a CB with absolutely nothing to back it up with. We've seen what he can do with the ball in his hands, he is very dangerous. Therefore, it would make sense that he plays on offense.

Holy balls, people. My apologies for starting a thread actually talking about football.

I have never once insinuated that I am smarter than the coaches, or that I know more than them. In fact, I have mentioned several times in this thread that I have not been privy to watching him play in practice, and asked for opinions of people who have seen practice and/or the spring game.

And, GoAUpher, I'm obviously not alone. More than one other person in this thread has mentioned the same belief, and clearly this board does not encapsulate every Gopher fan living, so logic dictates others feel the same way.

How dare I question the coaching staff and their infallibility. Clearly, no coach has been wrong on anything, ever, especially our current staff. That is why Brewster is 26-0 with two national championships and two Big Ten titles, and has been rewarded with a lucrative five-year extension.

My opinion is no more or less valuable than anybody else's here. I do have a right to one, however. Sorry if I've offended anyone's delicate sensibilities by presenting my reasons for feeling a certain way about a certain player, even if I've insinuated that the coaches made a *gasp* wrong decision.

And, once again, my apologies for talking about football. Please resume bitching about alcohol, breathalyzers, non-conference scheduling, the local and national media, seat cushions, marching down University, not yet receiving your season tickets, how Doogie doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, and how it sucks that we can't push Station 19 into a hole because it's on the National Register of Historic Places.

Thanks and have a great day.

Reading posts like have been posted in this thread are actually painful to read. The number of places people are wrong is staggering. And by people i mean dpodoll68

Go ahead and point out where I'm wrong, smart guy. Put your money where your big mouth is.

I'm by no means a football expert, but I'm willing to bet I've forgotten more about football than you'll ever know.

dpodoll68 since you like to mention talented defensive players, let me throw a better example at you. Devin Hester. He is much more explosive than the players listed above and he is now playing what? Wide Receiver if i'm not mistaken. He should obviously be moved to CB right? RIGHT?!?

Thanks for mentioning the part where I said that every two-way skill player ever should play CB.

Also, clearly you took into account the fact that Chicago's WR corps sucks balls and that they have a very solid and deep group of CBs. I'm glad you mentioned that in your analysis as well.

Our situation is obviously parallel to theirs. We have the best, and deepest, group of CBs in the Big Ten, not to mention the vast numbers of high-ceiling CB recruits in the pipeline. And how will our shallow and untalented WR corps survive without Stoudermire and his ability to take pitches and handoffs?

And, GoAUpher, I'm obviously not alone. More than one other person in this thread has mentioned the same belief, and clearly this board does not encapsulate every Gopher fan living, so logic dictates others feel the same way.

How dare I question the coaching staff and their infallibility. Clearly, no coach has been wrong on anything, ever, especially our current staff. That is why Brewster is 26-0 with two national championships and two Big Ten titles, and has been rewarded with a lucrative five-year extension.

My opinion is no more or less valuable than anybody else's here. I do have a right to one, however. Sorry if I've offended anyone's delicate sensibilities by presenting my reasons for feeling a certain way about a certain player, even if I've insinuated that the coaches made a *gasp* wrong decision.

I’ll admit that I overreacted…You are totally entitled to your opinion and it certainly is no less or more valuable than anyone else’s. No one knows for sure why any decisions get made unless they are in contact with the coaching staff. And as you point out, just 'cause the coaches say so doesn't make it right...I used their possible thought process as my pushback to your insistence that it made no sense not to play him 2 ways. My response was snarky and poorly argued. Your opinion is your opinion and you’re welcome to it. But when you keep pushing it and pushing it you become a broken record (think your favorite poster GopherGod and Nebraska). This whole thread could have been over by about post 18 when you and most of the folks who responded to you pretty much agreed that you all had some valid points and that this was a matter of opinion. You brought up a good question and got good responses…why not just leave it at that?

Our situation is obviously parallel to theirs. We have the best, and deepest, group of CBs in the Big Ten, not to mention the vast numbers of high-ceiling CB recruits in the pipeline. And how will our shallow and untalented WR corps survive without Stoudermire and his ability to take pitches and handoffs?

Heaven forbid that Stoudermire might be used like Dexter McCluster.

Heaven forbid that Stoudermire might be used like Dexter McCluster.

That would be outstanding. However, I don't believe that McCluster started his collegiate career at CB.

Moreover, while I'm not a great Ole Miss mind, I would assume that a preseason top 10 team (and one recently coached by master recruiter Ed Orgeron) who plays in the south does not have issues with the depth of, and recruiting prospects for, their group of CBs.

Moreover, while I'm not a great Ole Miss mind, I would assume that a preseason top 10 team (and one recently coached by master recruiter Ed Orgeron) who plays in the south does not have issues with the depth of, and recruiting prospects for, their group of CBs.

Ole Miss had the 81st ranked pass defense last year. This despite having the 4th ranked rushing defense, ranking 4th in sacks, and ranking 1st in tackles for loss.

College Football News rates Ole Miss' d-line a ten and their secondary a 6.5.

Top Bottom