Why is this board not more interested in Porter Moser?

Otis

Reaction score
I know his coaching record prior to Loyola pretty much sucked.

But since his team made the Final Four he has failed to win less than 20 games per season and it looks like he has a pretty damn good shot at making a second run to the Final Four this year!

That is pretty amazing.

Plus, his group of lesser recruits just put on a defensive clinic in handling Illinois. If he can coach kids to play that way I'm all in on getting him to coach in the Barn!

Coyle, give this man an interview!

he would be a great get.....but havent some people on here who get some info from somewhere say he isnt interested?

He has to want to come here. Coyle can try to interview him but if he says no, it doesn't matter.

I'd be shocked if Moser chose Minnesota over his current job or any of the jobs he will be offered.

Well for some on this board and the Strib look no farther than his race since evidently that is a requirement for this hire.

Would love to have him, but as I wrote in another post it takes two to have interest, and he's not interested. If he leaves Loyola I think he's going to Marquette, but buzz around town (I live in the same place he does) is he could stay with the goal of building a Midwest Gonzaga.

Would love to have him, but as I wrote in another post it takes two to have interest, and he's not interested. If he leaves Loyola I think he's going to Marquette, but buzz around town (I live in the same place he does) is he could stay with the goal of building a Midwest Gonzaga.
When will the Big East offer membership?

Apparently he's not interested, which is unfortunate because his coaching abilities is right up there with Chris Beard and Mussleman.

When will the Big East offer membership?
That would seem to be a natural next step for their growth, but DePaul may have something to say about having a conference rival (and better program) only 6 miles away (not that anyone in Chicago gives a shit about DePaul or even knows they're in the Big East, but as a member they probably have veto rights).

Last edited:

Would be easier to do that at DePaul, with the new arena, I would think. And the Big East is an actual P conference.

That would seem to be a natural next step for their growth, but DePaul may have something to say about having a conference rival (and better program) only 6 miles away (not that anyone in Chicago gives a shit about DePaul or even knows they're in the Big East, but as a member they probably have veto rights).
Would think Big East would want to expand markets before doubling down. Although Chicago is a huge Catholic market.

Would think St Louis U would be a contender.

Would be easier to do that at DePaul, with the new arena, I would think. And the Big East is an actual P conference.

Going to DePaul would take guts. That place has been mostly a coaching graveyard this century. Plus, I don't know how much money they would offer compared to some other competitors for his services. If you're going to take a risk, you might as well get paid very well for it. Indiana is a big risk but at least they'll pay you well.

Going to DePaul would take guts. That place has been mostly a coaching graveyard this century. Plus, I don't know how much money they would offer compared to some other competitors for his services. If you're going to take a risk, you might as well get paid very well for it. Indiana is a big risk but at least they'll pay you well.
He wants to be at a Catholic school in or near Chicago. Notre Dame would be an option.

I'm basing everything on DePaul's new arena as the "new era" for them. May not hold, we'll see. Started playing there in 2017-18. Year later the just fired coach had them up to 19 wins, but they couldn't hold it and have badly regressed in 19-20 and 20-21.

He wants to be at a Catholic school in or near Chicago. Notre Dame would be an option.

I'm basing everything on DePaul's new arena as the "new era" for them. May not hold, we'll see. Started playing there in 2017-18. Year later the just fired coach had them up to 19 wins, but they couldn't hold it and have badly regressed in 19-20 and 20-21.

OK, I didn't realize that. If you want to go to a Catholic school in the midwest, the one you mentioned first would be the best. That's the Catholic Harvard. The only other competitor for that title is Georgetown.

Yes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Indiana offer him a boatload of money.

I think he's a great coach, but Indiana fans won't be happy with that. Some still think they have a shot at Stevens and in their mind - Scott Drew and Chris Beard are consolation prizes.

I think he's a great coach, but Indiana fans won't be happy with that. Some still think they have a shot at Stevens and in their mind - Scott Drew and Chris Beard are consolation prizes.

You might be right. I forgot about Stevens. He would be the ultimate hire. Eventually, he probably will be fired (most NBA coaches are) or leave voluntarily from the Celtics (maybe he can go back and forth from college to the pros like Larry Brown did). He makes about $3.7 million now and, although he has a tough job, he doesn't have to recruit at least.

This makes all the sense in the world to me--it seems Moser's laying down the ground work to have an annual program that makes or contends for the NCAA tournament and if they don't make it for a year or two or three in a row, is there going to be pressure? Perhaps, but not too severe for a coach who's brought the program into the Final Four and Sweet Sixteen within a span of five years. Mark Few's laid out the blueprint at Gonzaga and if Gregg Marshall wasn't a sociopath, he'd have been able to ride a similar path at Wichita State. What's in it for Moser to move to Minnesota, or Indiana, DePaul, Marquette? A boatload of money, sure, but if he's comfortable at Loyola, he's not only got job security but potential to be a legend for the university. A move to any other place is a risk, for different reasons, but the fans at those schools will care little about his prior success at Loyola.

This makes all the sense in the world to me--it seems Moser's laying down the ground work to have an annual program that makes or contends for the NCAA tournament and if they don't make it for a year or two or three in a row, is there going to be pressure? Perhaps, but not too severe for a coach who's brought the program into the Final Four and Sweet Sixteen within a span of five years. Mark Few's laid out the blueprint at Gonzaga and if Gregg Marshall wasn't a sociopath, he'd have been able to ride a similar path at Wichita State. What's in it for Moser to move to Minnesota, or Indiana, DePaul, Marquette? A boatload of money, sure, but if he's comfortable at Loyola, he's not only got job security but potential to be a legend for the university. A move to any other place is a risk, for different reasons, but the fans at those schools will care little about his prior success at Loyola.
The only problem for him where he is at is you need to have a pretty damn near perfect season in that conference to get an at large bid. They had two this year but how often will that happen? If they do lose some games throughout the regular season you're needing to win the conference tournament every single year. All it takes is one bad game or one hot team and you're not dancing.

A few years in a row of that and people can forget quick about little Loyola, especially if there is another coach doing something similar at another smaller school.

Do I think that could limit him? Probably not, I think he could still land a big job 5 years from now if they go 0-5 on NCAA appearances during that stretch, but you never know.

Figure that Moser can write his own ticket now if he wants to move somewhere else. He wouldn't even need to buy a new wardrobe coming here as Loyola Chicago is also maroon and gold.

If we can't get him, can we borrow Sister Jean for a while for some good luck?

You do realize the WCC is not a power conference and that is the foundation of Gonzaga success? If he wants to, Porter can try that at Loyola. MVC isn’t a traditional high pressure one bid league. A strong out of conference schedule and a top two or three finish can almost assure annual appearances in the tournament. I like the strategy of building the mid major power with much less stress and probably less money. Personality wise he seems like that kind of guy. I expect him to stay put.

You do realize the WCC is not a power conference and that is the foundation of Gonzaga success? If he wants to, Porter can try that at Loyola. MVC isn’t a traditional high pressure one bid league. A strong out of conference schedule and a top two or three finish can almost assure annual appearances in the tournament. I like the strategy of building the mid major power with much less stress and probably less money. Personality wise he seems like that kind of guy. I expect him to stay put.
Big East would be way too competitive for a Gonzaga like approach. You need all those cupcakes to coast through after your brutal non-conference to rest your guys for the NCAAs

Moser is the Gonzaga fall-back after Few is named new Gopher coach.

You heard it here first!

The only problem for him where he is at is you need to have a pretty damn near perfect season in that conference to get an at large bid. They had two this year but how often will that happen? If they do lose some games throughout the regular season you're needing to win the conference tournament every single year. All it takes is one bad game or one hot team and you're not dancing.

A few years in a row of that and people can forget quick about little Loyola, especially if there is another coach doing something similar at another smaller school.

Do I think that could limit him? Probably not, I think he could still land a big job 5 years from now if they go 0-5 on NCAA appearances during that stretch, but you never know.
So, I'm going to indirectly answer this question, in two parts:

1. Here's the Big 10 coaches who were hired from mid-major programs that were subsequently fired in the years since Monson was hired at the "U" (1999): Monson, Richard Pitino, Todd Lickliter, John Groce, Ed DeChellis, Pat Chambers, Tommy Amaker, Archie Miller, Bruce Webber, Bill Carmody, Doc Sadler, Tim Miles

Here's the list either still coaching or left on their own volition (longer than five years): Fran McCaffery, Bill Self, Bo Ryan, Steve Alford (although he was under pretty heavy fire) (should be noted that Steve Pikiell and Chris Holtmann should soon join this list)

I'd be prone to put Webber into the category of a successful hire for Illinois and Pat Chambers would still be at Penn State if not for the player abuse allegations, but all in all, it's a lot more coaches who don't successfully make that leap than those that do.

2. Since Dan Monson was hired by Long Beach State in 2007, they have had four seasons over .500 in his 14 years with one NCAA appearance. They have had five consecutive seasons where they've finished under .500, yet Monson was extended for five years in 2018. He's the winningest coach in LBSU history and at the time of the extension, he was the highest paid coach in the Big West conference.

Now, I'm not saying Monson is Moser's equal as a coach nor that Monson and Moser have similar aims in the profession; but as evidenced with Monson, you can carve out a pretty nice career at the D-1 mid-level without the pressures and demands inherent at a larger program.

Top Bottom