Why are you a MN fan?

Late 80's when i was a young stat-hound obsessively checking box scores and perpetually listening to AM broadcasts was a heck of a time to be growing up a Gopher sports fan.

Willie Burton, Melvin Newbern, Richard Coffey, Jim Shikenjanski, Kevin Lynch - Clem is the only coach i really have ever loved or could see myself having an authentic conversation with. Voshon Leonard and Quincy Lewis are in the conversation, but no Gopher has ever won (or probably will) my heart, like Willie.

Football team had its moments. Ricky Foggie and Darrell Thompson were enough to root for and usually pretty exciting regardless how bad the team was losing. Thinking back to listening to Ray call the games while I spent the afternoon raking leaves in my parents back yard gives me chills.

HOCKEY: i never liked hockey as a real young kid, but then... Stauber, Snuggerud, Ben and Casey Hankinson, and, wow....Tom Chorske (on a breakway?) happened. I miss that era, those guys were absolute magic. I still enjoy a hockey game here and there, but never the same way since that team.

I didn’t go to the U but I always identified Gopher. Raised in the near northern ‘burbs and always paid attention to Gopher sports. The Muss teams reeled me in despite being kind of a hockey guy. The Dutcher/Jimmy Williams recruiting was huge, followed by the ‘82 B10 championship and I have been all in throughout all the roller coaster rides. Looking forward to more.
But sometimes I wonder why I still care? Maybe not rational, but I still really care. God help me.

Playing nerf hoops when I was a kid while listening to Ray Christiansen call gopher games in the mid/late 80’s got me hooked. The sweet 16 and elite 8 runs cemented my allegiance and the Gophers have been my favorite team college or pro ever since. When I went to the U for college I worked at the ticket office and worked the basketball games. I used to either find an empty seat after halftime or stood behind one of the baskets. I used to love to get there early and sit in the almost empty barn just watching a few players getting up pregame shots. I’ve always said that the barn was like my sports church.

Parents had season tickets to basketball and football growing up, and I went to most of the games with my dad. Was a huge Ryan Wolf and Ron Johnson fan. Mom got her MBA at the U. Dad is from a really small town and taking the bus to games at Williams Arena was his favorite thing to do as a kid.

Went to Clem Haskins basketball camp as a kid when Kosmoski ran it. One of my favorite memories is winning the 3-on-3 tip tournament at the camp. Koz still remembered me when I went to college where he is now the head coach.

I grew up in the country west of St. Peter. We had PBS, CBS, NBC, ABC, and later on FOX for TV stations. We got the Star Tribune Sunday edition, and there was always ample Gopher coverage. That's what hooked me initially.

I went to college at UND, and my freshman year was when the Gophers made the Final 4. UND hockey was legit but I really wished more than anything the Gophers would seal the deal that year (IIRC AZ beat KY). UND went on to win two championships in hockey when I was there but I missed big time football and basketball.

My first four years out of college I was back in MN and never looked back from Gopher sports. I moved to Iowa in 2005 but my allegiance still stayed with the Gophers. Hawkeye fans are delusional BTW.

I grew up in the country west of St. Peter. We had PBS, CBS, NBC, ABC, and later on FOX for TV stations. We got the Star Tribune Sunday edition, and there was always ample Gopher coverage. That's what hooked me initially.

I went to college at UND, and my freshman year was when the Gophers made the Final 4. UND hockey was legit but I really wished more than anything the Gophers would seal the deal that year (IIRC AZ beat KY). UND went on to win two championships in hockey when I was there but I missed big time football and basketball.

My first four years out of college I was back in MN and never looked back from Gopher sports. I moved to Iowa in 2005 but my allegiance still stayed with the Gophers. Hawkeye fans are delusional BTW.
Being a fan in the 80s/90s without cable was tough. Thankfully WCCO showed a lot of Gopher basketball games.

Football on the other hand was lucky to be on once a year, usually getting creamed by OSU or Michigan. Thank God for Ray.

Born and raised in Minnesota. College is better than pro in football and basketball. Ricky Foggie and Lou Holtz got me hooked. Willie Burton and the boys got me hooked in basketball.

GopherPoke, where did you grow up and where do you live now?

Last edited:

Mother grew up dreaming of playing QB for the Gophers. Both of my parents were in grad school at the UM when I was born--also they were original Vikings season ticket holders... Got my first skating lessons from my daycare provider's sons, who eventually played hockey for UM. Moved to New England and was tickled when McHale, from my old home-zone played for my Celtics. Didn't catch onto College BB until later, when I mostly followed the old Big East and the A10--hated the West Coast, the ACC and the SEC.

When I moved to Madison (I know!) people were way too mean about the Vikings for me ever to cheer for any UW teams, or, of course, the peckers. The A10 and Big East were tougher to follow from Wisconsin, and, for a stretch of late nights after working as a bartender, I arrived home, turned on the TV and saw Ariel McDonald lead his team to victory in the Great Alaska Shootout. That was it. I loved those guys. Then came the Final Four run and it was permanent. Also, friends with family season tickets introduced me to the Barn where I had several of the very best, most exciting sporting events I have ever seen in person.
The combination of my family ties and a group of kids I loved embedded the Gophers in my heart--much to my detriment, as you all know.
For my own part, I did collect a few summer school credits from the University of Minnesota, but never attended full time, or graduated from there.
Also, I am new to contributing here. I watched the G'hole for many years looking for the most timely information and interesting takes on the team and college basketball--without joining. Turned out that it took a little effort to figure out who was credible!
Maybe I've started to figure it out...

Parents had season tickets to basketball and football growing up, and I went to most of the games with my dad. Was a huge Ryan Wolf and Ron Johnson fan. Mom got her MBA at the U. Dad is from a really small town and taking the bus to games at Williams Arena was his favorite thing to do as a kid.

Went to Clem Haskins basketball camp as a kid when Kosmoski ran it. One of my favorite memories is winning the 3-on-3 tip tournament at the camp. Koz still remembered me when I went to college where he is now the head coach.

“Our” Coach K is the greatest!

I’ve often asked myself this same question.
My Dad always instilled in me a sense of cheering for the underdog. This was fortunate as, with only a few exceptions, that’s what the Gophers have typically been. I keep waiting for them to return to their past dominance (in FB) or to the excitement of the 70’s in BB (Musselman’s globetrotter show, or the strong teams Dutcher started out with). They’ve had flashes, but no sustained success. But I’ve loved them since I was a kid listening to them in the radio and keeping track of the game with my own box score.

My parents had season BB n FB tickets since the 60's. We lived in rural MN and would come to the " cities " for the weekend. Gophers on Saturdays and Vikings on Sundays. Went to private college and left the state for my doctorate but came home for my career. Have been on faculty with the U since the 90's. I am basically an optimist and a " Homer ".

Started listening to Ray call Gopher football as a kid in the late 1950's and closing closely examining the Sunday Peach sport section with those great photos that had the dotted lines showing the flight of the ball or the path of the ball carrier. '61 team with Tom Brown beating Iowa made me a fanatic. Student during the 1960's and made it to a hell of a lot more games than I maybe should have. Not only football and basketball, but hockey, baseball, and even track meets.

Graduated in 1968 and season tickets in the major sports off and on during the years depending on family and finances. Bleed maroon and gold and the lows probably outnumber the highs by quite a bit. But always hopeful and trying to be supportive.
Yes! Loved the Sunday Peach with the multiple, series photos. Loved Dick Cullum & Charlie Johnson. Memories of meeting the team in 1956 at Wold Chamberlain after they won at Michigan. Smiling players with missing teeth. The dramatic build-up to the 1956 Iowa game with Roses in the air. The dramatic let-down. As a kid these were my introductions to Gopher football. I think I decided at an early age that I wanted MORE of this!

Born on the campus (-23 degrees that day), father worked in the financial aides department and taught while earning his PHD in the early sixties. When we went to the b-ball games John Marriucci took tickets at the door and George Mikan was at every game. My Dad knew all the coaches and most players.Remember walking to our car after a fooftball game with NFLer Bobby Bell. Attended University High the last years of its existence. U-High was the U of M school for its faculty kids. We were the "Little Gophers" All of U- High teams used second hand gear from the real Gopher sports teams! ( socks and jocks). We practiced and held all our track meets at Memorial stadium. Sid's nephews and nieces went to U-High and he attended a lot of U-High games. My brother dated President Wilson's daughter, Margaret. My other brother played for the Gopher freshman team when Lou Hudson, Don Yates and Archie Clark were seniors. Some of the best times of my life. I am a Gopher forever. it's in my blood. I can't help it. Sorry for the long post.

Born on the campus (-23 degrees that day), father worked in the financial aides department and taught while earning his PHD in the early sixties. When we went to the b-ball games John Marriucci took tickets at the door and George Mikan was at every game. My Dad knew all the coaches and most players.Remember walking to our car after a fooftball game with NFLer Bobby Bell. Attended University High the last years of its existence. U-High was the U of M school for its faculty kids. We were the "Little Gophers" All of U- High teams used second hand gear from the real Gopher sports teams! ( socks and jocks). We practiced and held all our track meets at Memorial stadium. Sid's nephews and nieces went to U-High and he attended a lot of U-High games. My brother dated President Wilson's daughter, Margaret. My other brother played for the Gopher freshman team when Lou Hudson, Don Yates and Archie Clark were seniors. Some of the best times of my life. I am a Gopher forever. it's in my blood. I can't help it. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks for sharing, cool story.

Grew up on farm in southern Minnesota. Started following the Gophers basketball team about the time I was a sophomore in high school. Would have been the Brewer/Behagen years. Nearly as soon as I started following them, that Ohio State disaster happened. Followed them fairly closely through newspaper stories and occasional TV broadcasts until I moved out of state around 1980. Got back into them fairly seriously again about 10 years ago and about 3 years ago, started really making the effort to watch as many games as possible on-line.

I consider myself a pretty serious fan, but I'm not at the point where a win/loss either ruins or makes my life better. That said, I'm the kind of person that a game (or most other things for that matter) doesn't affect me that way unless I'm actually playing the game. Go Gophers!

You have NOTHING for which to apoligize. This lifetime Gopher commitment/identity is hard to explain but when I get up, I am cheered that I have another day to wear something for Minnesota!

Been a Gopher fan forever! Loved my dad telling stories of Iron Range guys from his school playing football and how they traveled down to watch at Memorial stadium. It’s our “U”!

Grew up on farm in southern Minnesota. Started following the Gophers basketball team about the time I was a sophomore in high school. Would have been the Brewer/Behagen years. Nearly as soon as I started following them, that Ohio State disaster happened. Followed them fairly closely through newspaper stories and occasional TV broadcasts until I moved out of state around 1980. Got back into them fairly seriously again about 10 years ago and about 3 years ago, started really making the effort to watch as many games as possible on-line.

I consider myself a pretty serious fan, but I'm not at the point where a win/loss either ruins or makes my life better. That said, I'm the kind of person that a game (or most other things for that matter) doesn't affect me that way unless I'm actually playing the game. Go Gophers!
Nice. Same for games. They disappointments are not for me but for the players. They are the ones who put in the work and put it on the line. When it is over i move on to the next thing.

Born in Minnesota however wasn't able to see the games due to no cable etc. Dad really wasn't a fan so didn't get to any. Sunday Peach was always special and of course Ray Christensen was a delight to listen to while listening to WCCO for both football and basketball. I miss Ray for that matter. He always drew me in especially when the neighbors also had those transistor radios on.

I’ve been thinking about this and honestly I have no idea. I didn’t attend the U of M (wasn’t accepted) and no one in my immediate or extended family attended the U of M. My grandparents were diehard boilermaker fans (from there) and my dad preferred and still prefers pro sports. I do remember watching gopher hoops when on and gopher football with him. Chris Darkins!! 97 gophers. I grew up a Vikings fan primarily, followed by the Twins. Prior to college I went to 1 Gopher hoops game. They played Chris Kingsbury. We had bad seats but it was fun. During college I went to two games—one with my now wife early in Tubby’s first year and the game Mo Walker wrecked his knee.
My first ever gopher football game was against Syracuse @ TCF. My wife got tickets from her boss so we went. Then we just kept going I guess. Basketball same thing. Sister in law wanted to go to a gopher volleyball game so we just got season tickets so she could go with us whenever she was free. Really just happened over night from being a casual fan who watched games on TV when he remembered to watching every single game, traveling to away games, having season tickets, posting on here constantly, etc. It’s been a weird handful of years.

Today I woke up feeling rough after my second dose of moderna. Decided to clean the garage. Put on a sweatshirt. Had to run to Lowe’s, grabbed a hat. Realized I was wearing a gopher hat, sweatshirt and shorts. Just on accident. Looked like I was ready to tailgate. Just kind of who I am and what I do now. My son owns bibs and is in Goldy’s kids club. We make plans around gopher sports. I don’t know why I’m a fan. I just am.

I didn’t attend the U of M (wasn’t accepted)
Minor side comment and I don't want to derail the thread.

I have heard that is it excessively difficult to get accepted to the Twin Cities campus as an undergrad.

That is just wrong, I think. UM-TC should be forced to accept a certain number of kids who graduate from Minnesota high schools. Something like 10k-15k would seem an appropriate quota, perhaps.

Anyway ...

I have heard that is it excessively difficult to get accepted to the Twin Cities campus as an undergrad.

That is just wrong, I think. UM-TC should be forced to accept a certain number of kids who graduate from Minnesota high schools. Something like 10k-15k would seem an appropriate quota, perhaps.

Anyway ...
I’m sure most attendees are from Minnesota high schools. I graduated in the bottom 1/4 of my class. My GPA was closer to 2 than it was to 3. They make the right choice 😂

Anyway ...
It is all relative to whatever you think is excessively difficult. Test scores and GPA requirements do not reflect that compared to other schools.

It is all relative to whatever you think is excessively difficult. Test scores and GPA requirements do not reflect that compared to other schools.
Shouldn’t matter in the slightest, for the Minnesota high school quota.

For the rest of the undergrad body, they can try to be competitive on test scores and gpa with the other Big Ten publics.

We know several kids that are from the metro that got in with a B average and average test scores. Not that hard.

We know several kids that are from the metro that got in with a B average and average test scores. Not that hard.
Other factors like donations and being legacy can factor in. I’ve heard the opposite.

I'm in Madison and it is a very common complaint that Wisconsin kids have a hard time being admitted to the Flagship University.
In WI, it is clear that the ratio of spots available to WI kids versus out-of-state, mostly from the Northeast kids, is affected by funding from the legislature. Obviously, the out-of-state kids pay much more--and the University has the option of increasing tuition for out-of-state kids. For many years tuition for in-state kids was frozen--which sounds great, but, along with declining state funding, it had the effect of starving the University for money.
The University could jack up the tuition for out-of-staters, or change the ratios and admit more out-staters. With less or stagnant funding from other sources, they didn't have other choices. Unfortunately, that reduces the number of spaces for Wisconsin kids which causes more complaints which causes legislative critics to reduce funding further. I do believe that the Madison campus has some kind of quota, but the out-of-state kids are just worth more money to the University.

I remember hitting a 3-iron toward the green on a par 4 at Lakeview Golf Club. I knew it was on line, but no doubt over the green. After looking for it for a few minutes, my golf buddy was strolling by the hole and noticed my ball in the cup. An eagle! As we walked off the green, I remember saying - "Man, I love this game!"
Following a round the next weekend, I hated the game of golf, and felt like donating my clubs to Goodwill. So went my love-hate relationship with the game of golf. Reminded of Casey Stengel's comments to his hapless Mets; "You guys are playing worse every month, and already you're playing like next month." Already playing like next month, I gave up golf a number of years ago.

Being a part of so many spectacular, unexpected, thrilling games at The Barn has kept me in the game. There have been enough special "eagles" to keep me hopeful. A Hoffaber shot in Indy, Bobby Jackson willing his team to a win, all the way back to Lou Hudson averaging 19.8 points and 8.1 rebounds per game while playing with a full cast on his shooting hand.

Young men playing for the love of the game, wearing Maroon and Gold because they want to be on the raised floor at an iconic venue, gives me hope for not just an eagle on a local 9-hole public course, but a 65 on the final day at Augusta, and knowing that the best is yet to come.
Love the story, but why were you hitting a 3-iron for eagle on a par-4 at Lakeview?? That was the shortest course in the west metro. 😂

Love the story, but why were you hitting a 3-iron for eagle on a par-4 at Lakeview?? That was the shortest course in the west metro. 😂
Not a die hard golfer, but we all use different clubs based on our skill level and comfort with a particular club.

Top Bottom