Why are you a MN fan?

GopherPoke

Reaction score
Why are you a MN bball (or fball for that matter) fan? Many on here complain over and over about the coach, players, AD, the U in general, other fans, etc. Seems counterintuitive to bitch and moan so much about a team you love and still want to follow them. I know, that is partially what a message board is about and I don't disagree. So I'm not trying to stir bs up and be adversarial. Given how easy it is to follow other programs from afar with tv contracts or internet, why are you a fan?

Me, grew up a huge WYO (the real UW) fan and attended school there and loved every second. Have since moved north and sent one, soon to be two, kids to UM. Love to spend time out in MN and even better when we can attend games. Easy to watch on tv. I like to follow teams that are relatively close to home. My wife is a huge fan. Finally, the gameday atmosphere blew away anything I grew up knowing in the WAC/Mountain West conferences. All of these are reasons, among others I'm sure you guys can add.

Go Gophers!

Many on here complain over and over about the coach, players, AD, the U in general, other fans, etc. Seems counterintuitive to bitch and moan so much about a team you love and still want to follow them.

Obviously, you've never attended a professional sports (or even college) event in Philadelphia.

Look, the attitude of people who behave this way is easily explained.

1) They care - a lot.

2) They view their players and coaches as having a duty to them as fans and when they don't perform, they're not doing their duty.

3) If a game is going badly for your team, you blame your team. You don't blame the other team for doing its duty. The opponents' duty is to beat your team.

Now, to answer your specific question:

1) I moved to this state early in this century. Since this is the only D1 football and basketball program in the state, it was only a matter of time until I became a fan.

2) I have a natural tendency to pull for the underdog. If I didn't I might have stopped watching by now.

Obviously, you've never attended a professional sports (or even college) event in Philadelphia.

Look, the attitude of people who behave this way is easily explained.

1) They care - a lot.

2) They view their players and coaches as having a duty to them as fans and when they don't perform, they're not doing their duty.

3) If a game is going badly for your team, you blame your team. You don't blame the other team for doing its duty. The opponents' duty is to beat your team.

Now, to answer your specific question:

1) I moved to this state early in this century. Since this is the only D1 football and basketball program in the state, it was only a matter of time until I became a fan.

2) I have a natural tendency to pull for the underdog. If I didn't I might have stopped watching by now.
Don't disagree with any of this, but I was directing most of that bitching and moaning comment to those on here that do it on almost every thread, and generally never have anything good to say. That seems like a horrible existence.

Thanks! These answers are great. Love getting a little more insight on everyone.

Don't disagree with any of this, but I was directing most of that bitching and moaning comment to those on here that do it on almost every thread, and generally never have anything good to say. That seems like a horrible existence.

Thanks! These answers are great. Love getting a little more insight on everyone.

Thanks! I agree bitching and moaning all the time gets old. You have to mix some positivity in there at least sometimes!

I can't speak for anybody else, but I grew up with the Gophers. My dad is an alum and some of my fondest early sports memories were watching the Gophers play at the Barn in the late 80s and early 90s. Those teams were fun to watch. They sorta rose from the ashes of the Madison scandal and put Gopher basketball on the map.

As a result, I fell in love with the program, so I inherently support it. But it's been pretty darn tough with how the program has been mismanaged during the 2000s. The days of Willie Burton and the guys making Sweet 16s and Elite Eights feels like a lifetime ago.

Still, there's a part of me that really hopes they can rise above once again. But boy, it's been uphill for the past 20-plus years.

Thanks! I agree bitching and moaning all the time gets old. You have to mix some positivity in there at least sometimes!
I"m hopelessly optimistic to a fault. I think next season is going to be better than this season, tomorrow is going to be better than today, and the new coach is going to be better than the last coach. I can't imagine thinking any differently and I would have to think it's quite a grind to do otherwise. Yuck.

As far as why a MN fan, MN born and raised, I have no other excuse. Definitely have gone through phases though. Through the Clem regime, I lived and died with Gopher basketball and actually didn't care THAT much about Gopher football and these last 5-10+ years, I've cared infinitely more about Gopher football than basketball. Maybe it's the quality of the team, less interest in basketball, who knows.

There are people that only seem to be happy when they are complaining or arguing about something. Look at the comments section pretty much anywhere on the internet and it is full of people who just want to piss people off and be negative.

As for being a Gopher fan. Grew up in Minnesota, attended the U of M and spent the first portion of my post college life working there.

Cemented as a kid watching the 97 final four run hoping for the team to reach those levels again. Especially since that run didn't "actually happen" i've never experienced the Gopher winning a conference title. Loyal to a fault and probably some desire to see the underdog succeed. Also is much better than cheering for Iowa/Wisconsin.

I"m hopelessly optimistic to a fault. I think next season is going to be better than this season, tomorrow is going to be better than today, and the new coach is going to be better than the last coach. I can't imagine thinking any differently and I would have to think it's quite a grind to do otherwise. Yuck.

As far as why a MN fan, MN born and raised, I have no other excuse. Definitely have gone through phases though. Through the Clem regime, I lived and died with Gopher basketball and actually didn't care THAT much about Gopher football and these last 5-10+ years, I've cared infinitely more about Gopher football than basketball. Maybe it's the quality of the team, less interest in basketball, who knows.

100%.

I'd much rather be the person who was wrong for thinking we have a good coach than being an "I told you so".

The world needs more optimism - regardless of whether it's rationale or not.

I remember hitting a 3-iron toward the green on a par 4 at Lakeview Golf Club. I knew it was on line, but no doubt over the green. After looking for it for a few minutes, my golf buddy was strolling by the hole and noticed my ball in the cup. An eagle! As we walked off the green, I remember saying - "Man, I love this game!"
Following a round the next weekend, I hated the game of golf, and felt like donating my clubs to Goodwill. So went my love-hate relationship with the game of golf. Reminded of Casey Stengel's comments to his hapless Mets; "You guys are playing worse every month, and already you're playing like next month." Already playing like next month, I gave up golf a number of years ago.

Being a part of so many spectacular, unexpected, thrilling games at The Barn has kept me in the game. There have been enough special "eagles" to keep me hopeful. A Hoffaber shot in Indy, Bobby Jackson willing his team to a win, all the way back to Lou Hudson averaging 19.8 points and 8.1 rebounds per game while playing with a full cast on his shooting hand.

Young men playing for the love of the game, wearing Maroon and Gold because they want to be on the raised floor at an iconic venue, gives me hope for not just an eagle on a local 9-hole public course, but a 65 on the final day at Augusta, and knowing that the best is yet to come.

I can't speak for anybody else either, but I (also) grew up with the Gophers. My dad is an alum and some of my fondest early sports memories were watching (and listening to Ray describe) the Gophers play at the Barn in the late 70s and then I had season tickets as both a student and graduate student from 78-79 thru 83-84 seasons (six years).

ski-u-mah!

I remember hitting a 3-iron toward the green on a par 4 at Lakeview Golf Club. I knew it was on line, but no doubt over the green. After looking for it for a few minutes, my golf buddy was strolling by the hole and noticed my ball in the cup. An eagle! As we walked off the green, I remember saying - "Man, I love this game!"
Following a round the next weekend, I hated the game of golf, and felt like donating my clubs to Goodwill. So went my love-hate relationship with the game of golf. Reminded of Casey Stengel's comments to his hapless Mets; "You guys are playing worse every month, and already you're playing like next month." Already playing like next month, I gave up golf a number of years ago.

Being a part of so many spectacular, unexpected, thrilling games at The Barn has kept me in the game. There have been enough special "eagles" to keep me hopeful. A Hoffaber shot in Indy, Bobby Jackson willing his team to a win, all the way back to Lou Hudson averaging 19.8 points and 8.1 rebounds per game while playing with a full cast on his shooting hand.

Young men playing for the love of the game, wearing Maroon and Gold because they want to be on the raised floor at an iconic venue, gives me hope for not just an eagle on a local 9-hole public course, but a 65 on the final day at Augusta, and knowing that the best is yet to come.
Perfect!

Birth and timing. The first team I remember is the 89 team that made the Sweet 16.

From the time I was 7 to 12 the Twins won two World Series, Gopher basketball made the Sweet 16 twice, the North Stars made it to the Stanley Cup Finals and the Vikings to the NFC championship game.

It was a very misleading sample size...

Birth and timing. The first team I remember is the 89 team that made the Sweet 16.

From the time I was 7 to 12 the Twins won two World Series, Gopher basketball made the Sweet 16 twice, the North Stars made it to the Stanley Cup Finals and the Vikings to the NFC championship game.

It was a very misleading sample size...
Gleeman always talks about how the Twins winning 2x by the time he was 10 spoiled him.

Grew up during the 90's heyday and attended practice with my hs bball team and a game at the barn in the early 90's (92-93) and fell in love with the gophers at that point.

My parents and Grandparents were Alumni. I really never paid attention until the 97 Final Four (I was 12.) From there on I was hooked. I ended up going there for undergrad and Marrying into a Basketball season ticket holder family. Like PJ has said - "U of MN is a sleeping giant," when we are competing at a high level its the hottest ticket in town. Its easy to nitpick the AD, coaches, and players but I support the school and Team with much enthusiasm regardless of any imperfect decisions by the program.

Great post. Lakeview was an 18 hole course, though - if we're talking about the same Lakeview in the western suburbs. In fact, I want to say it had a practice hole too - a very short par 3? And something like holes 4, 5 & 6 were VERY short par 4s - like all under 300 yds. Now, that was then - persimmon woods, etc, but still. So a 3 iron into one of those, Lou Hudson? ;-)

I am a Gopher fan because, my Dad and I loved watching all Gopher sports growing up in the 70's, having basketball season tickets and watching us win a Big Ten Title while attending the U in the 80's, and even after moving out of MN for 30 Years, having my Daughter now attending my Alma mater. They are my College team through good and (mostly) bad.

Why are you a MN bball (or fball for that matter) fan? Many on here complain over and over about the coach, players, AD, the U in general, other fans, etc. Seems counterintuitive to bitch and moan so much about a team you love and still want to follow them. I know, that is partially what a message board is about and I don't disagree. So I'm not trying to stir bs up and be adversarial. Given how easy it is to follow other programs from afar with tv contracts or internet, why are you a fan?

Me, grew up a huge WYO (the real UW) fan and attended school there and loved every second. Have since moved north and sent one, soon to be two, kids to UM. Love to spend time out in MN and even better when we can attend games. Easy to watch on tv. I like to follow teams that are relatively close to home. My wife is a huge fan. Finally, the gameday atmosphere blew away anything I grew up knowing in the WAC/Mountain West conferences. All of these are reasons, among others I'm sure you guys can add.

Go Gophers!
Great post ! One hundred percent family and friend memories, dinners before games, thrilling finishes, big efforts. Keeps me coming back all these years later.

My parents both went to the U (my Dad law school and my Mom undergrad) and they took me to the Gophers spring game at the Dome in 1984. I remember getting Rickey Foggie's (among others) autograph afterward and I was pretty much hooked from there.

We moved to Wisconsin soon after and then eventually Colorado in 1990. But unlike a lot of kids, I chose not to fall in line and follow the local teams and instead kept my Minnesota sports allegiances. I remember still getting a fair WCCO signal even in Wisconsin in the late 80s and listening to the Willie Burton teams on the radio. Those NCAA runs in 1989 and 1990 really cemented me as a Gopher hoops fan in the same way watching Darrell Thompson and Rickey Foggie on the football field did.

I ended up going to the U for my first two years of college and being on campus during that 1997 Final Four run was still one of the best sports memories of my life. I transferred back to U of Colorado that next year, but even after the academic scandal, I held strong with my Gopher love. Fortunately, the early Mason years (Penn State and Ohio State road upsets) were very exciting after so many years of bad teams.

Since then, I've made it a point to go back to Minnesota (my parents retired back there) and catch a game or two every year, as well as traveling to road games with friends when we can. Ultimately, our shared love (and frustrations and pain) for the Gophers is a huge part of my relationship with my parents and we love going to games and talking Gopher sports together. That will culminate this fall as we are able to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in Boulder at the Gophers-CU game with family and friends!

Only D-1 program in the State.

And for the record, I don't like hockey.

Grew up dreaming of playing football for the Gophers, but ended up playing elsewhere. Still have that love, though.

Season tickets in the family since the late 60s
The school I went to isnt d1

I am a native Minnesotan, and I follow the Gophers because they are MN's team. I did not go to the U of MN - attended Augsburg College - but I follow the Gophers much more closely than I follow Augsburg's teams.

As for the complaining - as far as I am concerned, being a fan does not mean blind loyalty. I support the program, and I want to see the team win, but that does not mean I forfeit my right to express my opinion when I see things in the program I don't like.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't follow the team. so from that point of view, a complaining fan is still a fan who cares enough to complain. better that than a fan who quits following the team.

Started listening to Ray call Gopher football as a kid in the late 1950's and closing closely examining the Sunday Peach sport section with those great photos that had the dotted lines showing the flight of the ball or the path of the ball carrier. '61 team with Tom Brown beating Iowa made me a fanatic. Student during the 1960's and made it to a hell of a lot more games than I maybe should have. Not only football and basketball, but hockey, baseball, and even track meets.

Graduated in 1968 and season tickets in the major sports off and on during the years depending on family and finances. Bleed maroon and gold and the lows probably outnumber the highs by quite a bit. But always hopeful and trying to be supportive.

It’s family. My maternal grandfather moved to Minneapolis from Idaho to marry my grandmother. Her brothers were huge Gopher football fans. So my grandfather started going to the games in 1932. My dad went to his first game in 1940.

My dad was good friends with many of the players from the early 1960s teams. Judge Dickson became a lawyer and went to work for IBM—for many years in their Paris office. He would come over for Sunday brunch when he was in town. I would hang on every word of his stories. My parents went with the basketball team to the Aloha Classic in 1971. Meeting the team at the departure gate was hugely exciting. Corky Taylor became a good friend. My dad had the team sign the tournament program including “Dave ‘the Rave’ Winfield”.). We had football, basketball and hockey season tickets—so many winter weekends were spent at both sides of Williams Arena. I feel the excitement of the Musselman/Dutcher/Haskins/Brooks years to my marrow—which my kids have absorbed (and my wife indulges) assisted by the ‘97 basketball season and the 2019 football season.

Top Bottom