Why all the disappointment?

alaska

Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something huge, but what is everyone down on this hire? Other than Musselman, which was not coming here, not of the other mentions that we have talked about got me aroused at all. I would much rather go with a guy like Johnson and see what he can do, especially in the recruiting game than fail on a guy we bring in from a mid major who has had above average success, but has not real excitement around them. And there was no excitement for anyone outside of Mussleman.

Give Johnson a chance, Coyle is not an idiot, he is making a hire that is tied to his own success. I'm not sure why we don't trust that and give this young guy a chance to make things exciting around here again. As soon as he gets the first of our in state big recruits to stay home we will be praising him just like Fleck.

I didn't like it but I am definitely giving it a chance. If he can get minnesota area kids that sit at about the top 150 at a better rate than pitino I am all for it. I actually can't wait to see if he has coaching chops and how he is on developing players. Also what will his style of play be. I like the mystery. Good luck to him and Go Gophs!!!

I had my early "WTF!?! " moment, but partially because of there being steam around Craig Smith who I think is going to be a really successful coach, but also because Johnson's name just wasn't tossed around at all beforehand. Now I'm starting to feel that he may have been the right choice at this time. Not just financially, but watching his interview with Mike Grimm and others, I think he's got the right personality and approach to be successful. How it'll translate is anyone's guess and I think some people are worried we just hired Pitino 2.0 based on his lack of head coaching background.

Slept on it. I'm all in on it now.
Of course I’m all in.

how can someone not see disappointment though?

Last time we made a major hire people saw our AD get a coach from a team who was in the Frozen Four and had a 13 year track record of success.
The time before that we hired a guy who was rumored nationally for a bunch of jobs, was unbeaten in the cotton bowl, and chose us.

this time we hired a guy most people in Minnesota didn’t know the name of.

Of course I’m all in.

how can someone not see disappointment though?

Last time we made a major hire people saw our AD get a coach from a team who was in the Frozen Four and had a 13 year track record of success.
The time before that we hired a guy who was rumored nationally for a bunch of jobs, was unbeaten in the cotton bowl, and chose us.

this time we hired a guy most people in Minnesota didn’t know the name of.
All very fair points. Can totally understand fans being disappointed that we didn't end up hiring their preferred candidate.

I just wish there weren't so many giving up on Johnson before he even has a chance to prove what he can do.

Maybe I am missing something huge, but what is everyone down on this hire? Other than Musselman, which was not coming here, not of the other mentions that we have talked about got me aroused at all. I would much rather go with a guy like Johnson and see what he can do, especially in the recruiting game than fail on a guy we bring in from a mid major who has had above average success, but has not real excitement around them. And there was no excitement for anyone outside of Mussleman.

Give Johnson a chance, Coyle is not an idiot, he is making a hire that is tied to his own success. I'm not sure why we don't trust that and give this young guy a chance to make things exciting around here again. As soon as he gets the first of our in state big recruits to stay home we will be praising him just like Fleck.
I'm a little weirded out that you might be aroused by a coach. 🤣

I will give him a chance, but he has to come in and make a splash right away. I am sure he has great connections with the in-state recruits and committed to doing his best to land them and keep a majority of them home. That's why Coyle bit on hiring him. I'm sure it was a selling point. Also, it does save us money, which I understand the U is hurting right now. He'll get two years. If he fails to live up to anything special after two years he'll be gone and we'll see what we can bring in then.

Oh definitely we’ll give him a chance. I really hope Ben works out and am rooting for him 100% for the next four years. If we go nowhere in four years, then the seat should legitimately get hot.

Ben seems like a classy, hardworking and intelligent guy by all accounts. But I think people are legitimately frustrated that we hired someone with zero head coaching experience.

Hopefully he can pull in some high level recruits and is seen as someone that can relate well to these kids today. I don’t care if they are from here or somewhere else, but we need to up the talent level.

Take a deep breath, sleep on it, make your choice. If you are not all in then pick a different team to be a fan.

I am actually looking forward to this decision to push a few of you over the edge. Leave a little more room for the Minnesota fans to fill the barn as this program gets rebuilt.

All very fair points. Can totally understand fans being disappointed that we didn't end up hiring their preferred candidate.

I just wish there weren't so many giving up on Johnson before he even has a chance to prove what he can do.
Being critical of a hire isn’t giving up on a coach. Thats like saying a coach who is critical of a player has given up on them.

Slept on it. Still incredibly disappointed, even more so considering how much he got paid. I would somewhat maybe sort of kind of not really understand it if he was paid half of what he is going to be... but that salary he got shows that it was nowhere near a budget issue why he was hired. Insanely frustrated.

You can see the optimism building as D replaces F in the lead on the grade the hire poll.

This is alot for ya'll. Hard stuff. Maybe you should consider taking a break from the Gophers for a few years. Take your kids fishing, maybe a little anger counseling, perhaps a trip to Madison or Carver-Hawkeye arena as you consider your next team...

Being critical of a hire isn’t giving up on a coach. Thats like saying a coach who is critical of a player has given up on them.
Agree. That isn’t what some are doing though. There are many that have already decided Johnson is going to fail.

totally fair to question the decision. But the decision has been made. If Johnson fails Coyle will be rightfully ripped for hiring him. But he should at least be given a chance before being given up on by some members of our fan base.

Nothing about that press conference screams top recruiter. I'll support the team, but I think there are going to be lots of disappointed ppl after a few years.

Agree. That isn’t what some are doing though. There are many that have already decided Johnson is going to fail.

totally fair to question the decision. But the decision has been made. If Johnson fails Coyle will be rightfully ripped for hiring him. But he should at least be given a chance before being given up on by some members of our fan base.
Many? Find one who has explicitly stated this is a 100 percent fail. Everyone wants him to succeed, many questioning the chances of success vs others available. Try not to conflate.

Watched the press conference and liked what I heard about there being a big pool for assistant coaches.

I'm taking it in steps. Want to see the staff he assembles. Want to see who stays from the current roster. Want to see what he gets out of the transfer portal. Want to see what recruits he will get to say yes, etc.
when Saul Smith is named as his lead hire, then you can get really excited. Johnson is a nice guy but way over his head. Its a lateral move from Pitino to Johnson. Basketball is one sport where one player and a coach matters. Look what Senior Pitino did with IONA? Coaching matters and this is a bad move by Coyle. However, I suspect this is the best he can get.

Just like he should win before being anointed a savior. I agree with completely though

This is alot for ya'll. Hard stuff. Maybe you should consider taking a break from the Gophers for a few years. Take your kids fishing, maybe a little anger counseling, perhaps a trip to Madison or Carver-Hawkeye arena as you consider your next team...
It has been said about many on here that this fan base is too willing to accept mediocrity. Now we hire an unproven coach with very little info to indicate he will be anymore successful than the last. Being critical of that now indicates there are anger issues at play and should consider supporting a WINNING program. Please keep sharing. USAF has already guaranteed this hire is guaranteed to work. You guys must be clairvoyant.

Also this: It's not the same as what we already went thru, because Pitino had a better resume.

Pitino is the son of coaching Hall of Famer Rick Pitino and a former assistant to his father at Louisville and Billy Donovan at Florida. It was during his time with Donovan that the younger Pitino developed a national reputation as a top-flight recruiter, helping land a number of high-profile players while with the Gators and at Louisville.

He was part of one Final Four run and three trips to the Elite Eight while an assistant at those schools before landing his first head coaching job at the age of 29 at Florida International in 2012.

Word around U of L is Richard Pitino in negotiations with Minnesota. If so, inspired choice. Bright and enthusiastic guy.

— rickbozich (@rickbozich) April 3, 2013

Just like the people in charge at Boeing were not idiots over the software issues. You trust too much. Coyle is human, just like any of us, he does make mistakes.

Top Bottom