Whoa....hold the phone.....Why did Iowa get to play Texas tonight?

What does beating Butler have to do with the schedule being good or not? Butler is Butler whether the Gophs win or lose.

You are, without a doubt, king of the idiots. Do you understand how tournament brackets work? What it will mean if the Gophers enter the winners bracket or the losers bracket on Thursday? My god...

How in the world did you beat out the 299,999,999 other sperm?

WARNING: Cynical post to follow:
Somehow, those of us who pay for season tickets have gotten the idea that we matter to the program. I'm beginning to put two and two together and realize that pleasing me or the collective "we" as a season ticket holder is really immaterial. Maturi's recent non-response made it clear that our concerns are not even on his radar. After all, they have our money. Maturi's job consists of getting the most money for the University with the least amount of expenditure. Therefore this season is a wild success.
When we are at a game, our participation somehow feels important, but that's an illusion. In the grand scheme of considerations, we are not viewed the least bit indispensable. Don't forget - you can be replaced.

I think you're a little harsh with this. We do matter. But it's not a yes or no question. It's how much we matter relative to other things that matter, and what can give most easily. So when Maturi has to make hard choices, the fact that, as you said, we (season ticket holders) can be replaced (by new season ticket holders) is a key element of the decision process.

And I think you could see that in the decision to get rid of Monson. All the nice words aside, the change happened when it was clear that Barn attendance (i.e. gate receipts) was on a downward spiral and there was nobody willing to replace those leaving. And with the high attendance games coming up (the big ten season), Maturi couldn't risk having no walk-up interest. In addition, and I have no facts on this--just speculating, we were also getting to the big end of year donation season. I'd guess Maturi didn't want to go through that season with all the big givers so disgruntled that it would really cut back on donation revenue. So he made the change.

ANd I wouldn't read too much into his response. I'd guess he gets a bazillion such emails, and there's no time to give thoughful repsonses to everybody. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a canned response prepared, or even has someone assigned to write the responses. And that's not a slam--it's just the realities of the world we live in.

Exactly. Keep the 20-win streak alive.

Jesus, you're just miserable about everything aren't you? I can understand your carping about the football program, but apparently that's your shtick over here, too.

Are you happy with anything in your life, Art? You know, they have drugs these days that might improve your perspective....

Criticism May Not Be "Nice" But It's Valid

Esposito (and Tubby) have had 3 seasons to put together a more competitive/compelling home non-con schedule.

There are some obvious regional omissions (ie: Marquette, Kansas, Creighton) that any BCS coaching staff should be able to set up with a phone call. Monson regime was the legitimate excuse for Non-Con season one. Calendar issues for year two. But some of these games (for 2009-10) could/should have been tentatively scheduled (penciled in) during Tubby's FIRST year.

Kansas and Marquette being the obvious examples of these (especially with Cole Aldrich likely being a first round draft choice THIS YEAR--his program would want him to have the opportunity to play in front of his hometown crowd).

Really, the only excuse is that Esposito (and Tubby by extension) are not doing the job in this area.

Whoa...Let's not get into another pi$$ing contest please. The schedules are made, for the most part, a year ahead of time. Tubby is building, Esposito is working with him. In the next year or two, we will have some big time NC games, some home, some away. Relax and enjoy what Tubby Smith is building here.

Go Gophers!

WARNING: Cynical post to follow:
Somehow, those of us who pay for season tickets have gotten the idea that we matter to the program. I'm beginning to put two and two together and realize that pleasing me or the collective "we" as a season ticket holder is really immaterial. Maturi's recent non-response made it clear that our concerns are not even on his radar. After all, they have our money. Maturi's job consists of getting the most money for the University with the least amount of expenditure. Therefore this season is a wild success.
When we are at a game, our participation somehow feels important, but that's an illusion. In the grand scheme of considerations, we are not viewed the least bit indispensable. Don't forget - you can be replaced.

If they keep playing schedules like this one there may not be many people lined up to replace us.

My guess is that there will be an excellent preseason schedule next year. Why? It will coincide with the required donations that will go with the purchase of many more tickets for the 2010-2011 season.

Top Bottom