Whoa....hold the phone.....Why did Iowa get to play Texas tonight?

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
Their losses on their home court last week to UT-San Antonio and Duquesne were part of the CBE Classic yet they still advanced to the semis?!?!?

WTF????

Don't ask why but it is because in this "tournament" all the regional seeds automatically advance to the semis in KC. With the loss today, they are playing the other semifinal loser in the 3rd place game.

I don't know about you guys, but I will never forget the epic battle when that "quality" team known as Stephen F. Austin State College University came to the Barn in 2009. I can't wait for perennial powerhouses Brown and St. Joe's in the coming weeks.

Stupid comment about Mr. Esposito.

i almost forgot, fot, you're the only person that's happy with our stellar nc schedule, including our home games. refresh my memory, do you have season tickets? did you shell out the prime exhibition price of $35 to watch the gophs take on moorhead? or did you attend the home opener against tennessee tech? that was a can't miss game...i'm assuming you were there. being such a big tubby (stalker) fan and all?

i almost forgot, fot, you're the only person that's happy with our stellar nc schedule, including our home games. refresh my memory, do you have season tickets? did you shell out the prime exhibition price of $35 to watch the gophs take on moorhead? or did you attend the home opener against tennessee tech? that was a can't miss game...i'm assuming you were there. being such a big tubby (stalker) fan and all?

Regardless, it was a stupid comment about Esposito.

you do realize, this is how ALL college nc schedules are (and how some conference schedules are), yes other places bring in big names for token games here and there, but theyre not overloading the schedule because a W against an SFA by 40 still looks better at the NCAAs than a loss to a Texas by 4. Minny will get a great chance to have a few statement games when/if they get past Butler thursday with a game against UCLA probably, and whoever else is in the tourney? not sure..but the gophs have a good shot, and winning the tourney would be equivocal if not greater to louisville last year.

im a season ticket holder(student) and honestly, i love cupcakes now and again. another thing theyre good for is building team chemistry, so that they can trust each other to perform at certain levels, regardless of the competition.

"A W against an SFA by 40 still looks better at the NCAAs than a loss to a Texas by 4."

I'm not so sure about that.

For argument's sake, let's say the Gophers are squarely on the bubble with a couple other teams. When picking apart each team's strengths and weakness and looking at a wide variety of factors (who you've played, who you've beat, who you've lost to, where you played 'em, etc.), do you think the Selection Committee is more likely to be impressed by the 40-point win over SFA or the 4-point loss to Texas? Which of those 2 outcomes would give the Selection Committee a more convincing argument that the Gophers are a tournament worthy team?

I'd say the latter, not the former.

you do realize, this is how ALL college nc schedules are (and how some conference schedules are).

You must haved missed SelectionSunday's 100 separate threads that breakdown 100 BCS teams' non conference schedule. We have a horrible NC schedule. Welcome to the board!

I liked it.

I thought it was a very valid comment about Esposito. It's his job to set up this schedule and what he put in place last year was lousy. This year it is garbage. And it's not all on him. Like everything else in the day to day management of the basketball program, Tubby had the final say. The irony is that Brewster, though a sub standard coach, has put together real schedules. The basketball schedule is a slap in the face to loyal fans.

I thought it was a very valid comment about Esposito. It's his job to set up this schedule and what he put in place last year was lousy. This year it is garbage. And it's not all on him. Like everything else in the day to day management of the basketball program, Tubby had the final say. The irony is that Brewster, though a sub standard coach, has put together real schedules. The basketball schedule is a slap in the face to loyal fans.

Why is this garbage??? Have you seen what Miami is doing this year? They just beat a very good USC team. We'll play them. St. Jo is not a cupcake either. Butler is #10 team in the country. You guys need to take it easy and stop being so negative about nc games. This is becoming too childish. How would you feel going into B10 games with 7 losses already? This team is still developing. Wasn't Izzo under so much criticism a few years ago for losing too many games before the B10 season started? By the way, SDSU is not a team to brag about when you defend the football schedules.

Our non-conf schedule is not horrible. Especially if we beat Butler it will be pretty good.

Now, our HOME non-conf schedule is pretty horrible.

Why is this garbage??? Have you seen what Miami is doing this year? They just beat a very good USC team. We'll play them. St. Jo is not a cupcake either. Butler is #10 team in the country. You guys need to take it easy and stop being so negative about nc games. This is becoming too childish. How would you feel going into B10 games with 7 losses already? This team is still developing. Wasn't Izzo under so much criticism a few years ago for losing too many games before the B10 season started? By the way, SDSU is not a team to brag about when you defend the football schedules.

I can watch Butler and Miami for free. It costs me $70 (two ticks) to watch the Gophers scrimmage against Tennessee Ernie Ford Tech at Williams. I'm happy about their Thanksgiving Tournament and a game in Miami. I'm very unhappy paying $600-$700 for nine or ten garbage games at home. Again, a total slap on the face to loyal fans.

I can watch Butler and Miami for free. It costs me $70 (two ticks) to watch the Gophers scrimmage against Tennessee Ernie Ford Tech at Williams. I'm happy about their Thanksgiving Tournament and a game in Miami. I'm very unhappy paying $600-$700 for nine or ten garbage games at home. Again, a total slap on the face to loyal fans.

I think whether or not it is a "total slap on the face" depends entirely on your perspective. Some fans like to see the Gophers run up and down the floor, creating bundles of turnovers and dunking on helpless opponents. You'll get to see tough games against good opponents soon enough (Big Ten Season). What's the harm in watching your favorite squad destroy teams and have fun doing it?

Neither the Butler or Miami games were scheduled by the Gopher staff and St. Joe's is a bubble cupcake team. What does that say when you're touting St. frickin' Joe's as your marquee NC home game? Tubby has to keep that 20-win streak alive right? What better way to do it?

Neither the Butler or Miami games were scheduled by the Gopher staff and St. Joe's is a bubble cupcake team. What does that say when you're touting St. frickin' Joe's as your marquee NC home game? Tubby has to keep that 20-win streak alive right? What better way to do it?

You're saying they had no idea Butler and Miami were on the schedule when putting together the rest of the teams? Part of the reason the schedule is what it is, is because they know they have those road games.

I have issues with the schedule but to pretend it is the worst OVERALL schedule in the world is a joke. If we beat Butler, it will be a much better OVERALL schedule than last year.

I would have liked to see one other mid-major or other type team at home though. UNI, Wichita St., Creighton, Siena, Temple, Rutgers, etc., etc, etc.

What does beating Butler have to do with the schedule being good or not? Butler is Butler whether the Gophs win or lose.

What does beating Butler have to do with the schedule being good or not? Butler is Butler whether the Gophs win or lose.

If they beat Butler, they likely play UCLA and either West Virginia or Clemson.

If they don't beat Butler they likely play Portland and either Long Beach St or Texas A&M.

Nothing's in stone of course but you don't think there's a difference to Minnesota's schedule and RPI there?

You don't think the coaches projected what other teams they might play when putting the rest of the schedule together?

You put the schedule together to give yourself the best chance to make the NCAA tourney I would guess. I suppose that is what they tried to do.

"What does beating Butler have to do with the schedule being good or not? Butler is Butler whether the Gophs win or lose."

Art, I can't speak for Col Nathan (correct me if I'm wrong Col), but I think his point is the outcome of the Butler game will play a large roll determining whether the overall nonconference schedule gets significantly better.

If the Gophers win and go to the winner's bracket, that pretty much assures 2 more games vs. quality opponents (i.e. UCLA/Clemson/Texas A&M/West Virginia) and a huge SOS bump. If they head to the loser's bracket, their schedule rank (presumably) will take a hit because they're not as likely to play the same quality of opponent and they'll have less opportunities to pick up a quality win(s).

Edit: I see that Col Nathan has already replied.

If keeping his 20 win per year streak alive keeps us in the NCAA tourney, I don't really care how many games he wins. More power to him.

If he wins 19 and gets in the NCAA tourney, I doubt he cares if it stays alive.

They are not mutually exclusive goals you know? Somehow I doubt you'd be less critical if we had the toughest schedule in the country and made the NIT.

"What does beating Butler have to do with the schedule being good or not? Butler is Butler whether the Gophs win or lose."

Art, I can't speak for Col Nathan (correct me if I'm wrong Col), but I think his point is the outcome of the Butler game will play a large roll determining whether the overall nonconference schedule gets significantly better.

If the Gophers win and go to the winner's bracket, that pretty much assures 2 more games vs. quality opponents (i.e. UCLA/Clemson/Texas A&M/West Virginia) and a huge SOS bump. If they head to the loser's bracket, their schedule rank (presumably) will take a hit because they're not as likely to play the same quality of opponent and they'll have less opportunities to pick up a quality win(s).

Edit: I see that Col Nathan has already replied.

Thanks for trying to clarify that for Art. It's obvious that our good Art doesn't actually think very far ahead when considering what the schedule actually looks like.

Perhaps we're mistaken

WARNING: Cynical post to follow:
Somehow, those of us who pay for season tickets have gotten the idea that we matter to the program. I'm beginning to put two and two together and realize that pleasing me or the collective "we" as a season ticket holder is really immaterial. Maturi's recent non-response made it clear that our concerns are not even on his radar. After all, they have our money. Maturi's job consists of getting the most money for the University with the least amount of expenditure. Therefore this season is a wild success.
When we are at a game, our participation somehow feels important, but that's an illusion. In the grand scheme of considerations, we are not viewed the least bit indispensable. Don't forget - you can be replaced.

When you grow up and can read, you can go back and see how that streak was accomplished. For now, we just put up with your crap.

St. Joe's may be a bubble cupcake team but they did beat an always tough team in BC team during the Paradise Jam earlier this year. Should the Gophers win? Yes, but they are not a gimmie/cupcake in my opinion.

And the same applies to Butler. Very important game for both schools. Probably more from a seeding point of view than actually making the tournament, but you never know.

Top Bottom