Who would you name as the Gophers MVP in win over Oregon State?

• Mitch Leidner

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Rodney Smith

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Ryan Santoso

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Tai’yon Devers

Votes: 47 47.0%
  • Emmit Carpenter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drew Wolitarsky

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Devers two sacks and forced fumbles really turned things around. Those were big time plays.

Devers two sacks and forced fumbles really turned things around. Those were big time plays.

Yep, those were absolute tone setting plays. Santoso would probably be my second pick as he had a couple of beautiful and well-timed punts early in the game, and certainly Rodney Smith was big down the end, but Devers was big.

Go gophers!!

Santoso. Albeit after one game, he looks twice the punter the social media darling Mortell was. Plus he is not a cheesehead! His punting made a real difference in field position and I was surprised by his touch.

Devers for me. He did just about everything (including "targeting") memorable. Kicking both punting and place deserve a shout out.

I chose Rodney. I think we would have lost without him.

Agreed. Devers came out of nowhere and made 2 huge plays and then gave 1 back on the targeting/ late hit. Without RS running for 125, moving the chains and scoring 2 TD's we do not get the W.

The kicking game was outstanding! Rodney was the MVP, the offensive line did almost nothing to help him and he rushed for 125+ yards and a TD that was 100% his doing. This O-line has a long way to go!

The kicking game was outstanding! Rodney was the MVP, the offensive line did almost nothing to help him and he rushed for 125+ yards and a TD that was 100% his doing. This O-line has a long way to go!

Agree they need to be better but pass protection was very good in my opinion. Much better than last year.

I'd vote Smith but, man, Santoso was awesome. Could get an NFL contract on just last night as his highlight tape. Couple inside the 5 and boomed a couple over returner's head. Hilarious watching the returner have that "oh s**t" moment on those over his head. Also, how high he kicks the ball, wow.

Makes TC look like a genius letting him move to punter.

1. Devers
2. Smith
3. Mitch
4. Santoso/punt coverage team

We probably don't score 30 without Dever's two forced fumbles.

My dark horse candidate is Julian Huff. He had to move around and fill in at linebacker for 3 guys who either got hurt or ejected. Huff played an outstanding game.

Rodney Smith for me. I don't think he looks 100% comfortable receiving but I felt he was really solid in all other aspects and made a huge play when he spun to turn a loss in the backfield into a big gain.

Massive credit to Julian Huff and Jack Lynn also - adapted really well in the second half.

Not sure if their tackle was really slow out of the blocks but, if not, Devers looks like something special. I know I am biased but I haven't been that 'wowed' by a Freshman DE since Clowney made that hit against Michigan in the Outback Bowl.

R. Smith.

The conventional wisdom is the offensive line gets the RB the first five yards. Well, Smith was consistently running into overmanned fronts and was met in the backfield on numerous occasions. On at least two of those he made incredible moves to break big plays.

Mitch made some of his patented late game great plays but he had a mix of good and bad and didnt check like he was supposed to, per Claeys.

Devers and Santoso honorable mention. Santoso had a hell of a game.

I think our boys would surely have lost to the Beavers without Devers' contributions. There isn't another player on the roster who you can say that about.

Dustin Stanton #74. Beav's RT should at least get a mention. He was awful last night. Devers should send him a thank you note.

Gotta be Devers. His two forced fumbles were a pretty big point swing right there. Mitch would have to be 2nd, he put us on his back there at the end to get a W. Smith played decent and had some good runs, but the running game imo was not all that effective (besides the Mitch scrambles and to a lesser extent his zone reads).

I went with Smith for the same reason as many others in that the offense was lost without him and he consistently had to break tackles in the backfield in order to make something out of nothing. They only got the field goal before halftime because Smith broke off a nice run while the coaches were trying to run out the clock and there were plenty of other negative plays he single handedly turned into a positive. The OL did a good job in pass protection but their run blocking left a lot to be desired.

Devers would be a close second. Will be really interesting to see how he looks when he goes up against a decent o-line because that group Oregon State ran out there was really bad. Still it was really refreshing to see the D-Line getting pressure from the DE position, haven't had much of that in recent years so hopefully he is able to keep doing that in games against better competition.

I think our boys would surely have lost to the Beavers without Devers' contributions. There isn't another player on the roster who you can say that about.

Agree Devers' contributions were huge, but can't agree with your last statement. I'm not sure how we win that game without the contributions of Smith and Leidner.

I voted Devers, but Jack Lynn needs some love here. He was our best D player play in play out. Solid. He and Poock are very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with others that Mitch's running decisions were good, and the line pass blocked well.
Devers made two huge plays and I would also mention Myrick as having a good game.

Whoever decided to stop the outside blitzed for the second half and just blitzed Huff up the middle.

Top Bottom