Who will get the majority of snaps at QB in the 2014 season?

Who will get the majority of snaps at QB in the 2014 season?

• Phillip Nelson

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • Mitch Leidner

Votes: 47 33.1%
  • Dimonic McKinzy

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Chris Streveler

Votes: 24 16.9%

• Total voters
It seems against the teams that rank high in stopping the run, Mitch does better and in all the other games, Nelson does significantly better. But in the beginning of the year, the receivers weren't open…lately they have been and the QBs are getting the passes to them more and more…just no consistency yet. We will be much better on offense next year…we only graduate one starter, Engel and we have 5 scholarship players on offense who were redshirted this year and 8 walk-on redshirts on offense (including Berkeley Edwards and 6.9" Nate Wozniak). I'm optimistic.

I hate Limegrower. He does not consistently prepare us to--you know--put points on the scoreboard.

Still think Phil is our guy.

With how many injuries Nelson has suffered and how many times Mitch fumbles..... we are going to see all three guys play next season imo. We have a legit QB problem.

This.
The game was lost because of coaching. Period. We go run run run, ONE jet sweep. Then the next chance we give Nelson, was after almost a quarter and half and then go throw throw throw??? What coaching is that?! This coaching staff didn't want to show up til the 4th quarter. Stop blaming Nelson, Wolitarsky, the O-line...point the finger where it belongs.

Tracy Claeys for HC in 2014

Because Kill calls the offensive plays? this is news to me.

I think we're all frustrated with the play of Phil. We WANT him to be good. We like him as a person. The problem is he isn't a good QB. He has all the physical skills and the pedigree but critically he has a confidence problem and he folds under pressure playing from behind and against better defenses. That is a dealbreaker. Sorry. We cannot keep hoping next year he's going to be better

Philip has had 18 games, 2 springs, 2 bowl seasons, and an offseason as the undisputed "guy" and he has progressed little. He is a career 50% passer and makes bad decisions for a 2nd year starter.

To me Leidner should get a long look. He clearly has the stronger arm, is a better runner, and importantly seems to play with more confidence and less in his own head. To those who point out his deficiencies those can be corrected. His decision-making and progressions can be improved with more practice. To me it's MUCH harder to fix pyschological issues a la Phils confidence issues. Being in CA I'm forced to watch a lot of USC football and believe me Cody Kessler SUCKED for the first 4-5 games of the season. Then the light bulb came on and he was very good. We've seen this with other QBs over the years. Kessler needed more time and more reps and he got better.

Phil is not getting better. He's had many, many opportunities. I know it's hard to do but this program needs to hit the reset button if we want to progress to the next level and critically get some WR talent to come here. Maybe a sports psychologist would help if we're going to ride Nelson through thick and thin...

Leidner has better passing statistics, better running statistics in his limited time. The team seems to play a bit better when he's in there. I HOPE he can get better with his decision-making and getting rid of the ball. I think he deserves a shot as the full-time starter and getting most of the reps to see if he's the one.

Or, we can recruit some WRs with 10 foot arms.

Before we get to worried about the QB and who it should be we have bigger issues. How do we put our QB in a position where they can be successful? The Gophers have very little depth and talent at WR and we finished this season with two true freshman getting a majority of the snaps and one of those was a QB until recently. We have one red-shirted WR that the staff has high hopes for but has yet to prove anything and another WR who is suspended more than he is active. Let's also ask where the play calling has gone? We have not been running the same offense sense the winning streak.

The team seems to play a bit better when he's in there. I HOPE he can get better with his decision-making and getting rid of the ball. I think he deserves a shot as the full-time starter and getting most of the reps to see if he's the one.

Or, we can recruit some WRs with 10 foot arms.

Agree Nelson may have some confidence issues. Maybe chokes in the big game a bit, but I don't see how we could say the team plays better with Mitch, on our four game win streak Phil took most the snaps.He may, or may not be the guy going forward, but I don't think we have seen enough of Mitch to determine he is the better option, yet.

It's disappointing to see fantastic game plans like against Nebraska and Indiana, where you feel confident about passing on every down. Then, the offense goes back to how it has been for any previous coaches - you know the cruddy looking throw won't be completed. We need an offense where a QB can complete 20 passes a game - need be.

I think both Nelson and Leidner should shave their heads as a sign of putting the disastrous last few efforts behind them and of their dedication to work hard to get their stuff together.

Before we get to worried about the QB and who it should be we have bigger issues. How do we put our QB in a position where they can be successful? The Gophers have very little depth and talent at WR and we finished this season with two true freshman getting a majority of the snaps and one of those was a QB until recently. We have one red-shirted WR that the staff has high hopes for but has yet to prove anything and another WR who is suspended more than he is active. Let's also ask where the play calling has gone? We have not been running the same offense sense the winning streak.

I understand that their numbers might be a little worse because of the factors you mentioned. The bigger problem, however, is that when there is an open receiver, the ball is being bounced to them or sent sailing over their head. I don't care if the open receiver is a RS Senior or some guy with a beer in one hand who they pulled down from the stands, the ball should hit them in the chest.

Neither of these guys inspire confidence IMO. Unless the coaching staff thinks Streveler can be a difference maker, I think they should recruit the best juco QB they can get. Auburn is in the national title game with a juco QB and they did all right with another juco QB a few years ago named Cam.

Neither of these guys inspire confidence IMO. Unless the coaching staff thinks Streveler can be a difference maker, I think they should recruit the best juco QB they can get. Auburn is in the national title game with a juco QB and they did all right with another juco QB a few years ago named Cam.

Both Nelson and Leidner are young. Nelson has showed improvement from last year. Relax

It is pointless to recruit a JUCO QB. For every Cam Newton there are 5 QB's like Travis Cole. These kids need reps to get better and they will.

It is pointless to recruit a JUCO QB. For every Cam Newton there are 5 QB's like Travis Cole. These kids need reps to get better and they will.

A Travis Cole type player would look pretty about now.

I realize there is no guarantee a juco QB will turn out to be the next Cam Newton but I would still look at who is available, sign one if you think he can be your starter and let the competition begin.

Both Nelson and Leidner are young. Nelson has showed improvement from last year. Relax

Stop making excuses for young QBs. We'd kill to have a Jake Rudock up here - RS Soph at Iowa. Nelson is incapable of improvement. Leidner need to run less and pass more - it's either him or Streveler. Nelson will be transferring after spring practice.

Stop making excuses for young QBs. We'd kill to have a Jake Rudock up here - RS Soph at Iowa. Nelson is incapable of improvement. Leidner need to run less and pass more - it's either him or Streveler. Nelson will be transferring after spring practice.

Uhm, o.k..

With how many injuries Nelson has suffered and how many times Mitch fumbles..... we are going to see all three guys play next season imo. We have a legit QB problem.

tikited,

I don't think Mitch fumbled against Syracuse on Friday night. Mitch seems more durable. He does not get injured. At least I don't remember him getting injured this season. I know, you're going to say this is because he did not play as much as Philip. Who was QB when we got the field goal just before half time? It was Mitch according to espn.go.com. We know that Mitch was QB when we scored 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter, and we did it on Mitch's arm. The "Hail Mary" hit Drew Wolitarsky in the bread basket. It was dropped. How much more accurate does Mitch have to be? For what it is worth, Mitch broke the 11 quarter drought without a TD. By the way, we need to give accolades to Peter Mortell. His punting has been awesome this year. Let's face it, his 57 yard punt should have iced the game for us. What more can you ask of the punter?

Not making excuses. Are you disputing that Nelson improved from last year? Leidner is a good QB, but he always seems to take sacks at the worst time.

Cam Newton and Nick Marshall aren't your typical JUCOs. They were both highly ranked recruits out of high school who got kicked off Florida and Georgia for theft.

tikited,

I don't think Mitch fumbled against Syracuse on Friday night. Mitch seems more durable. He does not get injured. At least I don't remember him getting injured this season. I know, you're going to say this is because he did not play as much as Philip. Who was QB when we got the field goal just before half time? It was Mitch according to espn.go.com. We know that Mitch was QB when we scored 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter, and we did it on Mitch's arm. The "Hail Mary" hit Drew Wolitarsky in the bread basket. It was dropped. How much more accurate does Mitch have to be? For what it is worth, Mitch broke the 11 quarter drought without a TD. By the way, we need to give accolades to Peter Mortell. His punting has been awesome this year. Let's face it, his 57 yard punt should have iced the game for us. What more can you ask of the punter?

Never said Mitch fumbled against the Orange. He simply fumbles a lot. This is going to make a coach pull him at times. If Nelson is banged up and Mitch starts fumbling we will see another QB get a shot. For what it is worth, Mitch was twice the qb Nelson was on Friday (and a few other games), but he has a long ways to go before he can be counted on for an entire season.

Mortell was the m.v.p. for us on Friday. Not his fault several players whiffed on the return. And yes, Drew dropped a TD that was right in the breadbasket-I agree with all of that.

Never said Mitch fumbled against the Orange. He simply fumbles a lot. This is going to make a coach pull him at times. If Nelson is banged up and Mitch starts fumbling we will see another QB get a shot. For what it is worth, Mitch was twice the qb Nelson was on Friday (and a few other games), but he has a long ways to go before he can be counted on for an entire season.

Mortell was the m.v.p. for us on Friday. Not his fault several players whiffed on the return. And yes, Drew dropped a TD that was right in the breadbasket-I agree with all of that.

Mitch definitely, 100% certainly fumbled again against Syracuse. We recovered it. Mitch has a significant fumbling issue. Not saying who deserves the job, but please don't minimize that Mitch is prone to fumbling. I'd take Syracuse's QB in a heartbeat. I'd take most starting QB's in the FBS over ours at this point. It's our weakest position, including WR.

Nelson doesnt throw a good ball. He has to dump to tight ends and backs. However,
other teams realized this in the second half of the season. For example, Wisconsin had
11 players within 7 yards of the line on defense. The offense had no chance against Michigan
State, and Gopher offense would have not scored against the Orange if Nelson would have
played complete game. The Gophers had gone 12 quarters with out an offensive touchdown and
it would have been 14.

Unless a change is made at quarterback, it will be almost impossible to score next year in the
Big Ten. Other teams have scouted the Gophers.

For those blaming Limegrover, had we completed some of those open throws the QB's missed on our offense would have been just fine. Or at least good enough to win the game.

And while I agree that Mortell was one of our best players in this game, I wish sometimes he'd directional punt. I'd take a few less yards sometimes to lessen the chances of a big return.

The game was lost by fumbles, penalties, and tripping running backs

Mitch definitely, 100% certainly fumbled again against Syracuse. We recovered it. Mitch has a significant fumbling issue. Not saying who deserves the job, but please don't minimize that Mitch is prone to fumbling. I'd take Syracuse's QB in a heartbeat. I'd take most starting QB's in the FBS over ours at this point. It's our weakest position, including WR.

I'll take your word for it that Mitch fumbled against Syracuse. I just don't remember. What I'm really confused about is how you thought I was minimizing Mitch's fumbling issues when I wrote that he fumbles a lot.

Maybe Mitch should try wearing gloves in the offseason and test it during spring practices.

Top Bottom