Who will be our coach in 2017?

46Gophers

Reaction score
Who will be our coach in 2017, my guess at odds:

Claeys - 50%, +great defensive coach, +great bowl win, -terrible recruitment and development of Qbs or Wrs by his and Kill's staff, -recent mess.

PJ Fleck - 25%, +12-0 and in Cotton Bowl, ?can he succeed above a MAC level?

Harsin - 20%, ?Boise St. coach who was hired by Coyle, ?can he succeed above MW level?

Other - 5%, ?????

Lane Kiffin

I really liked the co-head coach idea of Lane as HC of offense and Claeys as HC of the defense.

BTW-I'd be stunned if Fleck came here. Coyle couldn't lead the team effectively through this process and appears to be extraordinarily weak despite his "low profile, high production (mis)play. How can anyone expect him to close a deal with an in demand coach?

Claeys - 50%, +great defensive coach, +great bowl win, -terrible recruitment and development of Qbs or Wrs by his and Kill's staff, -recent mess.

Harsin - 20%, ?Boise St. coach who was hired by Coyle, ?can he succeed above MW level?

Other - 5%, ?????

I'm think your odds are right. The other- Miles, Calhoun, Gus Bradley, the U OK OC probably fill out the candidates. I think Claeys survives like Pitino, and maybe Billy Glasscock takes the fall if someone has to be the fall guy.

Claeys and Sawvel would both get jobs in a heartbeat so whatever Coyle decides, those two guys have no worries.

I'm not all to sure that Claeys doesn't tell Coyle to go f&ck himself and then walk away to a job with good leadership and less drama. (He may not do that because he cares for the kids here at the U, but I wouldn't blame him if he just walked away from this mess.)

I think a likely scenario is that Claeys asks for a contract extension and the administration says no. Then it's up to Claeys to decide if he can properly recruit and coach without a contract extension and win enough games in 2017 to get a contact extension. It will be tough for him to recruit without an extension going into national signing day, but I do hope he decides to coach in 2017 if he doesn't get an extension. Some would advise him to resign or seek a buyout if he doesn't get an extension and start over somewhere.

Other - 5%, ?????

Oh, good another thread!

Claeys 100% +current coach and will be next year

Fleck 0% +not coach and won't be

Harsin 0% +not coach and won't be

Other 0% +not coach and won't be

I hope someone starts another thread on this with their "opinion"!

Oh, good another thread!

Claeys 100% +current coach and will be next year

Fleck 0% +not coach and won't be

Harsin 0% +not coach and won't be

Other 0% +not coach and won't be

I hope someone starts another thread on this with their "opinion"!

+1

I think a likely scenario is that Claeys asks for a contract extension and the administration says no. Then it's up to Claeys to decide if he can properly recruit and coach without a contract extension and win enough games in 2017 to get a contact extension. It will be tough for him to recruit without an extension going into national signing day, but I do hope he decides to coach in 2017 if he doesn't get an extension. Some would advise him to resign or seek a buyout if he doesn't get an extension and start over somewhere.

This - the most sophomoric thing I've ever heard Mark Coyle and Eric Kaler will do. If you are sticking with Claeys, give him all the tools to succeed. Kaler & Coyle need spinal infusions.

This - the most sophomoric thing I've ever heard Mark Coyle and Eric Kaler will do. If you are sticking with Claeys, give him all the tools to succeed. Kaler & Coyle need spinal infusions.

I agree, but administrators always look for the easy way out and this is it. They can say they were going to give Claeys a chance knowing that they are setting him up for failure and they can make a change now or next year without looking too bad.

If Kaler and Coyle pull s stunt like that, they should be given the boot.

If you are going to keep Claeys, give him a reasonable extension on Tuesday. Otherwise, fire him which will be a mistake IMHO. Don't play childish games with people's lives - the entire coaching staff, players, and recruits.

They have to fix the systemic problems at the U long term. How many prominent or rising star coaches really want to come here? Wasn't Jerry Kill the last resort hire because they could not attract any coaches on their A list?

The BOR, the president, the AD, the extra-judicial bodies of the U must all be one the same page with a common vision and a sense of direction for the U. Right now IMHO they are in a jumbled dysfunctional political mess.

BTW, if the U jerk Tracy Claeys around it won't be long if Kansas State may come come calling to hire him away. Bill Snyder probably will retire at some point in time.

Is it too early to start tracking private flights? The OG Gopherhole investigative Pulitzer piece Al Golden is available....

Big Ten lucky to have Claeys:

Bowl Winner:

Minnesota

Bowl Losers:

Maryland
Nebraska
Michigan
Ohio State

I can definitely see this scenario happening.

Keeping TC and not extending him would be the most gutless, worst possible scenario this administration could cook up. Therefore, chances are good it could happen.

Claeys. Anything else, after a 9-4 record - notwithstanding the Sept. 2 outrage by players - would be a red flag nationwide that the UM treats it people badly.

BTW, if the U jerk Tracy Claeys around it won't be long if Kansas State may come come calling to hire him away. Bill Snyder probably will retire at some point in time.

Very likely K State hires internal. They really didn't like the way their program changed culturally when they hired Ron Prince externally lost time. Kansas is a much more likely spot than K State for TC.

I'd rather have Claeys than Fleck. Fleck reminds me of the guy who will have a few flashy recruiting classes, but they never materialize because eventually the players see through his act before they become upperclassmen. Heck, he'd probably look good this month salvaging the recruiting class, but I don't see him sustaining momentum more than three years. He'd be smart to jump quick if Coyle offers him Tuesday night because he's an 8-5 season away from being a career $400K coach as opposed to possibly $1.5-2M a year he could negotiate quickly if the call comes.

I'd rather have Claeys than Fleck. Fleck reminds me of the guy who will have a few flashy recruiting classes, but they never materialize because eventually the players see through his act before they become upperclassmen. Heck, he'd probably look good this month salvaging the recruiting class, but I don't see him sustaining momentum more than three years. He'd be smart to jump quick if Coyle offers him Tuesday night because he's an 8-5 season away from being a career $400K coach as opposed to possibly $1.5-2M a year he could negotiate quickly if the call comes.

Yeah his first recruiting class at Western Michigan 4 years ago hasn't materialized into a 13-0 season or anything...

to be fair - you may want to add Northwestern to the "winners' category, but also Indiana to the "losers" category. But the point is well taken, has not been a good bowl year thus far for the Big Ten. Still have WI, PSU and IA tomorrow - some of my least favorite Big Ten teams, hard to root for anyone.

In fact Jim Leavitt OC at Oregon and former USF coach has built into his contract a free opt out for K State. Not inside candidate in the traditional sense but he is a former Snyder assistant.

Top Bottom