Who takes their team to S16 first: Tubby at Minn or Miles at Neb?

Who takes their team to S16 first: Tubby at Minn or Miles at Neb?

• Minnesota will go to the S16 under Tubby first

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • Nebraska will go to S16 under Miles first

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters
El amin has a better shot of a playing a full season in the NBA than NEB in the sweet 16.

I don't understand why everyone loves Carmody so much. The academics angle is a crutch. Schools like Duke, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Stanford, etc. are all good-to-elite despite being prestigious academic schools. Harvard is in the process of turning itself from "Ivy League good" to "good" period. It's almost mathematically impossible to have been in the Big Ten since 1985 (Big Dance expansion), when the Big Ten has been a good-to-great conference the entire time, and not have made the dance even once. The popular refrain seems to be "look how good he's doing at Northwestern of all places". Anyone ever consider that he's partially, perhaps even mostly, to blame for the attitude of "oh, it's Northwestern"? Seriously - he's been there 13 years and not ONE Tournament appearance? Tubby Smith is pilloried mercilessly by the Gopher "fans" for "only" going to the Dance twice in 6 years (soon to be thrice in 7) - can you imagine what the reaction would be from our "fan"base if he went 0-for-13? People want to equate the two, even put Carmody ahead, when he's won 33 percent of his Big Ten games. If Tubby had a Big Ten record of 69-131 and 0-for-13 in Tournament appearances, the hangings would go from figurative to literal.

And NW has had some pretty good players over the years.

I think I could be talked into taking a flyer on Izzo!:)

So would I. And on any of those top 4, though I don't like Matta. To clarify I wouldn't trade Tubby for Carmody, Bo or Painter, though I think he's on par with all 3. We don't really know what Carmody would do with a 'normal' team and Bo's style, while admirable in some ways, basically has a ceiling of Sweet 16. Painter hasn't quite put it all together yet, but I might be convinced to make that trade.

I have sneaking suspicion that Miles will replace Tubby here when Tubby hangs it up, I know its taboo to hire in conference, but if there's mutual interest and a practice facility on the way, Minnesota's a better job than Nebraska

I'd take the flyer on Painter if Hummell stays healthy I truly believe Purdue is a final four team in 2010 and 2011

I think Purdue would trade Painter as well.

Painter is in his 8th season as the head coach Purdue and he has been the coach of the year in the conference 3 times. Doubt they would trade Painter for Tubby.

I don't understand why everyone loves Carmody so much. The academics angle is a crutch. Schools like Duke, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Stanford, etc. are all good-to-elite despite being prestigious academic schools. Harvard is in the process of turning itself from "Ivy League good" to "good" period. It's almost mathematically impossible to have been in the Big Ten since 1985 (Big Dance expansion), when the Big Ten has been a good-to-great conference the entire time, and not have made the dance even once. The popular refrain seems to be "look how good he's doing at Northwestern of all places". Anyone ever consider that he's partially, perhaps even mostly, to blame for the attitude of "oh, it's Northwestern"? Seriously - he's been there 13 years and not ONE Tournament appearance? Tubby Smith is pilloried mercilessly by the Gopher "fans" for "only" going to the Dance twice in 6 years (soon to be thrice in 7) - can you imagine what the reaction would be from our "fan"base if he went 0-for-13? People want to equate the two, even put Carmody ahead, when he's won 33 percent of his Big Ten games. If Tubby had a Big Ten record of 69-131 and 0-for-13 in Tournament appearances, the hangings would go from figurative to literal.

+1

Considering we haven't won a tourney game without cheating since 1990, as soon as possibly 2011, Tubby's fourth season, there were posters saying "four years and no tourney wins, is this what you expected?" it's hard to see how one could put Carmody over Tubby when he hasn't even made the tourney in his 12 full seasons, has only gotten to .500 in the Big Ten once, will almost certainly not do either one this year, and has 7 losing seasons. Three of those seasons though he was only one game below .500, so maybe it was early losses in the Big Ten tournament or NIT that kept those seasons from having equal wins and losses. But no one counts Tubby's Big Ten tournament wins in his 2009-10 conference record (12-10, a winning conference season that Tubby has never achieved if you don't count those games), so I'm not inclined to cut Carmody slack.

If you're not going to knock Carmody for never making the tournament because no one's ever done it there, then I don't think you should knock Tubby for not winning any tournament games, because we hadn't won one legitimately in 17 years when Tubby got here.

I have sneaking suspicion that Miles will replace Tubby here when Tubby hangs it up, I know its taboo to hire in conference, but if there's mutual interest and a practice facility on the way, Minnesota's a better job than Nebraska

I've actually been curious about how often this happens. I know Tubby himself has been a head coach at both Georgia and Kentucky, and Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban are both at their second SEC football job. Does anyone know of any other cases, specifically basketball, where a coach has been a head coach at two different programs in the same conference?

Although Spurrier and Saban had NFL gigs in between SEC jobs, but Tubby himself was lured away, I can't of another time for basketball, of course I'm only 24 probably more common practice back in the days when people could understand what Sid was saying?

If we stay the 3rd seed in KC beat Davidson and K St then play Colorado St. in the Sweet 16. Now that would be eerily magical, but nevertheless, it would also be very interesting.

I've thought of that too. It's a question of how big the taboo is. I cannot think of the last time there was an in-conference hire in the big 2 sports. Alford to Indiana was a hot rumor that never happened. Can't think of any others that were close. Of course Tubby went to UK with no issue, but the SEC tends to be looser about such things.

I've actually been curious about how often this happens. I know Tubby himself has been a head coach at both Georgia and Kentucky, and Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban are both at their second SEC football job. Does anyone know of any other cases, specifically basketball, where a coach has been a head coach at two different programs in the same conference?

Mike Montgomery went from Stanford to Cal we well, but with a stop across the Bay first. Billy Gillespie from A&M to Texas Tech via UK. Tubby is the only direct one I can think of.

Why not Minnesota? Tim Miles is improving but its still gonna take him a while to get Nebraska where it needs to compete in the B1G and have a successful run in the Tournament. I can see his teams making it there maybe year 2 or 3 but they will likely get a low seed and lose to a highly ranked team. Year three at the earliest but I expect by 2016 Miles will be able to make a statement in the dance. Results could come sooner.

However, for Minnesota this is about the best chance I've seen in a long time for them to get to the sweet 16 and I'm hoping they do.

What's the joke? If Tubby doesn't make the Sweet Sixteen this year, then it's a race.

LOL - Does Nebraska have some 5 star recruit coming in that I don't know about? Gophers could make a pretty good run next year with an extremely experienced back court (Srs: Austin and Mav, Jrs: Dre and Coleman). The key to next season will be the front court, if EE can continue to develop and Mo can get in shape, we'll be fine.

LOL - Does Nebraska have some 5 star recruit coming in that I don't know about? Gophers could make a pretty good run next year with an extremely experienced back court (Srs: Austin and Mav, Jrs: Dre and Coleman). The key to next season will be the front court, if EE can continue to develop and Mo can get in shape, we'll be fine.

I guess I don't understand why people are so cocky. If Tubby's teams had been knocking the door of the Sweet 16 repeatedly, I could understand that. But they haven't even achieved being in a closely contested first-round game yet. Presumably at least that will happen this year. Just saying that, if they miss this opportunity this year, we go back a couple steps and create opportunities for other up-and-coming league teams to gain traction.

they haven't even achieved being in a closely contested first-round game yet

Against Xavier - tied at the half. A 6-pt deficit with 1:12 on the clock. I guess we have different definitions of "closely contested".

Against Xavier - tied at the half. A 6-pt deficit with 1:12 on the clock. I guess we have different definitions of "closely contested".

It never really felt like they were in that game.

I'm not sure how someone can not feel like a team is in the game when it's tied at the half.

Bad Gopher just made another comment that illustrates the intelligence of.............well, you know what I mean.

Enough of the "STARS" miracle blessing, Star ratings are a joke!

Enough of the "STARS" miracle blessing, Star ratings are a joke!

I'm sure another poster could make a much more compelling argument than I could, but recruits with 5 stars are generally very good players. They miss guys sometimes for sure, Trey Burke was only a 3 star for example, but mostly the more stars a recruit has, the better a player he ends up being.

In football, the star system is more hit or miss in basketball if someone is miss evaluated, it's because they were underrated like Burke There might be 10-15 5 stars tops for hoops and I'm guessing Jones and Vaughn won't be bust

But Nebraksa has the precious practice facility!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom