Who is your "Home Run" hire?

There's a scene in Moonraker where Drax is on the phone trying to replace the henchman that Bond had just offed. You don't hear the other end of the convo, but the person is offering up the services of Jaws. Drax says in reply, " Oh, yes, well, if you can get him, of course." That's a home run hire.
And the only film that Jaws had a line.

I don't think Kaler or Coyle had given any indication that a firing was in the works?

Well, Kaler and Coyle weren't going to publicly say that a firing was in the works leading up to a bowl game, but it was generally understood by anyone paying attention that Claeys was not a slam dunk to come back, even with a win in the Holiday Bowl.

I don't think it was everyone.

Feel free to prove me wrong again, it is certainly possible.

There were doubts from everyone who was paying attention.

Look at these links of the uncertainty.

Pat Reusse
"Tracy Claeys could be gone as the Gophers football coach next week, no matter the outcome of the Holiday Bowl game with Washington State on Tuesday night. There has been a furious response from university customers after they learned the details of a school-endorsed report on an alleged sexual assault by players in September."

John Shipley
"Tracy Claeys has to go"

GopherHole
"Dan Wolken from USAToday: This is definitely a subtext here worth watching. Everyone in industry knows Minnesota wants a coaching change"

Joe Christensen Game Story cites uncertainty even after the win
"After an emotional locker room celebration, Claeys was asked if he expects a contract extension.

“I don’t know.” he said.

Uncertainty continues to swirl.

By the fourth quarter of the Holiday Bowl, more than 1,900 people had signed a petition on moveon.org, calling for Claeys’ termination."

Claeys saying there's a great chance he could lose his job
"Tracy Claeys says there's a "great chance" I could lost my job."

I recall Claeys saying that when after they won the bowl game against Washington State, both of those men sure seemed very happy

I think the exact opposite was true. Reports from the Holiday Bowl were that Coyle and Kaler walked around subdued after the win, barely offering a handshake to Claeys.

From Pat's story:

"After Claeys' big victory, Coyle remained reticent, and Kaler looked as if his family’s new puppy had been run over and smashed into the asphalt by a garbage truck."

Last edited:

Well, Kaler and Coyle weren't going to publicly say that a firing was in the works leading up to a bowl game, but it was generally understood by anyone paying attention that Claeys was not a slam dunk to come back, even with a win in the Holiday Bowl.

There were doubts from everyone who was paying attention.

Look at these links of the uncertainty.

Pat Reusse
"Tracy Claeys could be gone as the Gophers football coach next week, no matter the outcome of the Holiday Bowl game with Washington State on Tuesday night. There has been a furious response from university customers after they learned the details of a school-endorsed report on an alleged sexual assault by players in September."

John Shipley
"Tracy Claeys has to go"

GopherHole
"Dan Wolken from USAToday: This is definitely a subtext here worth watching. Everyone in industry knows Minnesota wants a coaching change"

Joe Christensen Game Story cites uncertainty even after the win
"After an emotional locker room celebration, Claeys was asked if he expects a contract extension.

“I don’t know.” he said.

Uncertainty continues to swirl.

By the fourth quarter of the Holiday Bowl, more than 1,900 people had signed a petition on moveon.org, calling for Claeys’ termination."

Claeys saying there's a great chance he could lose his job
"Tracy Claeys says there's a "great chance" I could lost my job."

I think the exact opposite was true. Reports from the Holiday Bowl were that Coyle and Kaler walked around subdued after the win, barely offering a handshake to Claeys.

From Pat's story:

"After Claeys' big victory, Coyle remained reticent, and Kaler looked as if his family’s new puppy had been run over and smashed into the asphalt by a garbage truck."
First of all, THANK YOU! This level of effort to actually back up what is said/claimed, is rare on GH.

Let's just go ahead and conclude that I was wrong (often ends up being true anyway).

Let's say that: a) most people either questioned if Claeys should stay the coach or were calling for him to be fired, and that his bosses words and actions didn't seem to support that he would be retained, and b) (from before) that most Gopher football fans were also aware of PJ Fleck.

But the bigger point to me is what tmv was talking about in post #118. Even if the points a) and b) above are true, I still can't jive with that idea.

That wasn't your point, of course. You proved your points. So you aren't obligated to comment any further, but if you do have further comments with respect to that idea, I'd be happy to hear them (agree, disagree, other?).

First of all, THANK YOU! This level of effort to actually back up what is said/claimed, is rare on GH.

Let's just go ahead and conclude that I was wrong (often ends up being true anyway).

Let's say that: a) most people either questioned if Claeys should stay the coach or were calling for him to be fired, and that his bosses words and actions didn't seem to support that he would be retained, and b) (from before) that most Gopher football fans were also aware of PJ Fleck.

But the bigger point to me is what tmv was talking about in post #118. Even if the points a) and b) above are true, I still can't jive with that idea.

That wasn't your point, of course. You proved your points. So you aren't obligated to comment any further, but if you do have further comments with respect to that idea, I'd be happy to hear them (agree, disagree, other?).
Ha I'm not sure what is so confusing about it...I'll post again.

Agree, I don't think I will react with a "wow we actually got HIM?" like i was with PJ. PJ was all over the place in the months leading up to us hiring him. Anyone connected to college football knew he was going somewhere bigger and better right away. I couldn't believe we had a shot.

I just don't have the same feeling basketball wise. I'm sure a lot of the names mentioned will be fine but they don't scream home run at all.

To your points A and B...

A) I never thought that Claeys would be a long term hire. I was somewhat surprised he was canned after a 9 win season just like that though.

B) I absolutely knew who PJ Fleck was during that season. When Claeys was let go and his name was thrown out I didn't think we had a chance with him. If I recall places like Texas A&M, Florida St, Nebraska, etc. were all in the market for a new coach.

The basketball coaches who have been mentioned in this thread just don't scream home run. Someone mentioned above home run in terms of Wow factor vs home run in terms of what they can be as a solid coach...my point is to the wow factor. They all could be the next great thing but at this point they just don't make me want to happy dance all over my house.

do have further comments

Asking me if I have further comments is like asking an alcoholic if he wants another drink. :LOL:

For what its worth:

I do not think there is currently a mid-major MBB coach this year that has created the in-season buzz that Fleck did in football in 2016. In fact, I don't there is one that is close. And, even a Sweet 16 run by Medved or Smith or some other mid-major guy would not reach what Fleck had. Fleck had buzz because he won, he was young, he was unique and bold. I don't see any current mid-major MBB coaches quite like that. There are likely some out there that I'm not familiar with, but the names thrown out here to me don't reach 2016 Fleck level hype, even with a modest run to the Sweet 16. Just my opinion.

That said, last year Brian Dutcher had a lot of in-season buzz, having SDSU ranked in the top five for much of the season. Had he made a run (possibly to Final Four), and *if* he were 40 years old instead of 60 years old last season, I think he would have been last year's MBB version of 2016 PJ Fleck. And, being a U of M grad and having an "out" in his current deal to coach the Gophers as his dream job would have added to the possible excitement for Gophers fans. But, 61 years of age now dampens enthusiasm for many.

But, as I type this, I'm thinking 61 years old is not *that* old. Heck, if he coaches until he's 71, which isn't that uncommon, he'd have given the U ten years, which is longer than any of the past two coaches have lasted (if Pitino indeed does not return).

Also, good coaches aren't required to come with hype. Sometimes they do. Other times they don't. Remember John Beilein was widely considered the third best hire in the Big Ten the year he went to Michigan (Tubby Smith at Minnesota and Todd Lickliter at Iowa also came into the league that year. Lickliter was national coach of the year after Sweet 16 run at Butler and Tubby Smith had a national championship on his resume). Heck, Beilein wasn't even West Virginia's first choice when they hired him. Bo Ryan wasn't Wisconsin's first choice, nor was that hire heralded with much hype. But, Beilein and Ryan could coach and the results followed.

So, hype or not, I like Niko a lot, I think he'd build something nice here. Smith has the potential, too. We could do worse than Dutcher.

Those are my further comments on the topic at hand.

Ha I'm not sure what is so confusing about it...I'll post again.

Agree, I don't think I will react with a "wow we actually got HIM?" like i was with PJ. PJ was all over the place in the months leading up to us hiring him. Anyone connected to college football knew he was going somewhere bigger and better right away. I couldn't believe we had a shot.

I just don't have the same feeling basketball wise. I'm sure a lot of the names mentioned will be fine but they don't scream home run at all.

To your points A and B...

A) I never thought that Claeys would be a long term hire. I was somewhat surprised he was canned after a 9 win season just like that though.

B) I absolutely knew who PJ Fleck was during that season. When Claeys was let go and his name was thrown out I didn't think we had a chance with him. If I recall places like Texas A&M, Florida St, Nebraska, etc. were all in the market for a new coach.

The basketball coaches who have been mentioned in this thread just don't scream home run. Someone mentioned above home run in terms of Wow factor vs home run in terms of what they can be as a solid coach...my point is to the wow factor. They all could be the next great thing but at this point they just don't make me want to happy dance all over my house.
Well keep in mind, just because I'm confused or something doesn't jive with me .... ain't worth a whole lot.

We agree on A, both parts actually. But I thought the bowl win did it. I don't know why I thought I remembered Coyle and Kaler being happy, but clearly the opposite was true. Which speaks to they had decided to can him.

On B: so maybe this rewording or elaboration shines a different light on why PJ was a "home run" for you. You thought there was no way we could get him over TAMU, FSU, Nebraska, etc. That I can understand, at least.

I just really must've missed the boat (ho ho!) on Fleck, prior to that point.

As I already said a few pages ago (and I think you agreed with), Smith or Medved could have a great run this year. And then they could be sought after by big names, that we might not seemingly have a chance against.

But I'm thinking that still wouldn't give you the same wow as with PJ. Guess we'll see.

Asking me if I have further comments is like asking an alcoholic if he wants another drink. :LOL:

For what its worth:

I do not think there is currently a mid-major MBB coach this year that has created the in-season buzz that Fleck did in football in 2016. In fact, I don't there is one that is close. And, even a Sweet 16 run by Medved or Smith or some other mid-major guy would not reach what Fleck had. Fleck had buzz because he won, he was young, he was unique and bold. I don't see any current mid-major MBB coaches quite like that. There are likely some out there that I'm not familiar with, but the names thrown out here to me don't reach 2016 Fleck level hype, even with a modest run to the Sweet 16. Just my opinion.

That said, last year Brian Dutcher had a lot of in-season buzz, having SDSU ranked in the top five for much of the season. Had he made a run (possibly to Final Four), and *if* he were 40 years old instead of 60 years old last season, I think he would have been last year's MBB version of 2016 PJ Fleck. And, being a U of M grad and having an "out" in his current deal to coach the Gophers as his dream job would have added to the possible excitement for Gophers fans. But, 61 years of age now dampens enthusiasm for many.

But, as I type this, I'm thinking 61 years old is not *that* old. Heck, if he coaches until he's 71, which isn't that uncommon, he'd have given the U ten years, which is longer than any of the past two coaches have lasted (if Pitino indeed does not return).

Also, good coaches aren't required to come with hype. Sometimes they do. Other times they don't. Remember John Beilein was widely considered the third best hire in the Big Ten the year he went to Michigan (Tubby Smith at Minnesota and Todd Lickliter at Iowa also came into the league that year. Lickliter was national coach of the year after Sweet 16 run at Butler and Tubby Smith had a national championship on his resume). Heck, Beilein wasn't even West Virginia's first choice when they hired him. Bo Ryan wasn't Wisconsin's first choice, nor was that hire heralded with much hype. But, Beilein and Ryan could coach and the results followed.

So, hype or not, I like Niko a lot, I think he'd build something nice here. Smith has the potential, too. We could do worse than Dutcher.

Crap load of really good points in here.

SDSU is still the only MWC team that the pollsters are taking seriously, for now. The Thurs/Sat matches with Boise will be very interesting.

Well keep in mind, just because I'm confused or something doesn't jive with me .... ain't worth a whole lot.

We agree on A, both parts actually. But I thought the bowl win did it. I don't know why I thought I remembered Coyle and Kaler being happy, but clearly the opposite was true. Which speaks to they had decided to can him.

On B: so maybe this rewording or elaboration shines a different light on why PJ was a "home run" for you. You thought there was no way we could get him over TAMU, FSU, Nebraska, etc. That I can understand, at least.

I just really must've missed the boat (ho ho!) on Fleck, prior to that point.

As I already said a few pages ago (and I think you agreed with), Smith or Medved could have a great run this year. And then they could be sought after by big names, that we might not seemingly have a chance against.

But I'm thinking that still wouldn't give you the same wow as with PJ. Guess we'll see.
Got it...yeah my point is more that guys like smith, medved, etc aren't as household of names to me as fleck was but i follow football closer than basketball so i could be off there too

For what its worth:

Bennett was the first choice to build at UW. Many fans did not want Ryan first but the people in power did after Soderberg interim year. The hacks before Richter could have hired Bennett in 85 but they did not have the guts. D1 coaches everywhere knew a great deal about both of those coaches , especially Bennett as they had flocked to his clinics which anyone who has gone could never forget. There were no favors or personal influence on those hires. They talked to coaches who had seen them and in Bennett's case gone against them. Try and find that guy. Someone with conviction to some things that are non negotiable.

Bennett was the first choice to build at UW.

Correct, I never said he wasn't the first choice. I referenced him starting the Wis build in an earlier post on this very thread. The 2000 Final Four from Bennett was obviously a great building block for the next guy. Building the Kohl Center in 1998 was big for that program, as well.

Many fans did not want Ryan first but the people in power did after Soderberg interim year.

The people in power definitely knew Bo Ryan could coach, but the people in power hired Bo Ryan after it didn't work out with the first choice. Obviously, all is well that ends well.

Last edited:

Bennett was the first choice to build at UW. Many fans did not want Ryan first but the people in power did after Soderberg interim year. The hacks before Richter could have hired Bennett in 85 but they did not have the guts. D1 coaches everywhere knew a great deal about both of those coaches , especially Bennett as they had flocked to his clinics which anyone who has gone could never forget. There were no favors or personal influence on those hires. They talked to coaches who had seen them and in Bennett's case gone against them. Try and find that guy. Someone with conviction to some things that are non negotiable.
Yes! The guy wrote the book on pack-line defense. I mean, he literally wrote a book. That's my home run hire: a dude that's written a book.

I admit to not knowing who Bo Ryan was when they hired him. I should have, being that he was right down the road in Platteville and then Milwaukee. But I remember asking one of my UW alum colleagues, Bo who?

built, on a similar subject, are the rumors true that the big school thinks highly of Pat Miller and is sort of grooming him for the Madison job someday?

Mark Few.

He knows how to recruit Minnesota.

What about Sam Mitchell? I don't know what happened to him at Memphis (quit/fired) but he's had coaching experience in the NBA yet alone played, plus coaching experience in college. He's up there in age at almost 60 though.

Not a home run hire but an option?

What about Sam Mitchell? I don't know what happened to him at Memphis (quit/fired) but he's had coaching experience in the NBA yet alone played, plus coaching experience in college. He's up there in age at almost 60 though.

Not a home run hire but an option?
I always liked Sam, not sure he would relate to college though

Celtics suck, maybe their coach wants to come back to college! ;) talk about a homerun ha

Yes! The guy wrote the book on pack-line defense. I mean, he literally wrote a book. That's my home run hire: a dude that's written a book.

I admit to not knowing who Bo Ryan was when they hired him. I should have, being that he was right down the road in Platteville and then Milwaukee. But I remember asking one of my UW alum colleagues, Bo who?

built, on a similar subject, are the rumors true that the big school thinks highly of Pat Miller and is sort of grooming him for the Madison job someday?
Not that i know of. There is actually some trouble brewing in Madison that i am not at liberty to go into right now.

Well, besides that complete flame out in Ames

he took over a bad situation there at the time. He has been at Creighton long enough to prove his winning isn’t a fluke. People said early on his success there was due just to his kid. Then his kid goes to the NBA and he is building even stronger teams. The guy can flat out coach and develop talent.

McDermott is under investigation by the NCAA, right? Seems like a good guy to not call.

I want a national title. I’d hire a guy with a bakers dozen.

Can’t think of a single mid major or gettable coach that really makes me excited. Plenty of guys I’d like to see hired but they won’t come here for the peanuts they’d get paid

Top Bottom