Who is your "Home Run" hire?

skiumah1

Reaction score
Curious who everyone has as a "home run" hire for the next coach? I know we've talked a lot of names: Smith, Medved, Dutcher, Grant, and so on. Just want to get that feel for what others would feel like that WOW hire.

Ultimately I would think Coyle is looking to land this type of guy/gal.

Thad Matta is the only realistic "home run" hire, and he's probably not even that realistic. Everyone else is a bloop double.

My guess if it does happen it will be someone like Dutcher. He put the clause in his contract for a lower buyout if MN comes calling. Not saying this is a homerun at all, just a guess. However with his age perhaps not as likely

My guess if it does happen it will be someone like Dutcher. He put the clause in his contract for a lower buyout if MN comes calling. Not saying this is a homerun at all, just a guess. However with his age perhaps not as likely
I go back and forth between the Mountain West Trio out there

I like Musselman as the Home Run guy for me personally

Ultimately I would think Coyle is looking to land this type of guy/gal.
Disagree. He wanted to hire Fleck at Syracuse, and then got his chance here and that was at least a line drive triple, if not over the fence.

I don't see why Medved wouldn't be the same, particularly if he wins the MW tourney and a game in March Madness. Might get really hot, really quick in that scenario, in fact, so hopefully Coyle has a line to him already (perhaps from last year, before covid put the kibosh on).

Please no, too old.
And no Dutcher either.
Someone under 50 who actually played basketball at a fairly high level would be good.
I agree if there is a change they should go younger but I wouldn’t view the younger names mentioned on this board as a “home run” hire.

I agree if there is a change they should go younger but I wouldn’t view the younger names mentioned on this board as a “home run” hire.
What's a home run? Guaranteed we'll be more competitive in the conf title race and big dance?

What's a home run? Guaranteed we'll be more competitive in the conf title race and big dance?
My definition of a home run is that it's attainable. For that reason I'd rule out people like Beilein and Matta. Although I trust builtbadgers that Musselman is neither available nor interested, I operate from the position that a Big Ten job is something that anyone might consider. On that basis, he's my home run.

Muss would be the homerun hire...I just don't see us shelling out the cash to get him but I think he'd give the same shot in the arm to the basketball program that Fleck did for football. I'm not buying that he wouldn't be interested as every coach has a price especially when they aren't at a destination school. I don't necessarily think he has the highest ceiling among the guys listed but taking everything into consideration, he'd get everyone on board pretty quickly. Took Nevada to the Sweet 16, succeeding early at Arkansas, NBA experience, great recruiter, developer, his father's history here probably gets the older generation on board while his energy gets the younger generations excited. Him and Fleck would be quite the fundraising two headed monster I would imagine which would help Coyle sleep better at night no doubt lol.

Again, I don't think he's gettable due to the financial situation the athletic department is in but he's got the fewest dings against his name. We overthink coaching hires some, I love the old school developer coaches (Jay Wright, Beard, Beilein, Bennett and so on) but the teams with the best talent win more often than not. Michigan's probably going to dominate the conference the next few years because they'll have the best players. A strong recruiter/developer at worst raises your floor as Fleck has done across the street, I want to stop yoyoing year to year.

If we're swinging for the fences and home run how about Phil Jackson?

Last year when we were having these same discussions, the name Scott Drew kept coming up. To me, that would be a home run hire.

Thad Matta is the only realistic "home run" hire, and he's probably not even that realistic. Everyone else is a bloop double.
Yeah

even belien wouldn’t be the same here. His comments while the coach of Cleveland would hurt him in recruiting I think

Wright,Bennett, Stevens, Matta. These guys find really good players and make them great. Very few win as much as Wright and Bennett. UVA will probably lose to Duke tonight but they have 14 more wins in the ACC over the last 5 years than Duke does ! Duke has one ACC regular season title total since Bennett came into the league. That can be done here if we have the right guy. Easier said then getting that guy.

Musselman would be it for me. We should have gotten him from Nevada, now I feel he's comfortable at his new home. Let's get Baldwin from UW-Milwaukee, get his son to come to the Gophers, which would get Chet to come here 🤣

Jimmy Allen. The next great hire from West Point, like Knight and Coach K.

Beilein is a HR
Musselman is a triple
Any of the 3 Mountain West guys (Smith, Medved, Dutcher) are solid doubles.

Top Bottom