Who is playoff team number 4 if:

Texas A&M already has proven they aren’t the best team by getting beat by 26
Georgia did by losing by 17 and 16
Florida could battle their way back in by knocking off alabama

the only way I could even entertain a second SEC team is if Florida beats Alabama in the SEC title game. Florida would be in and if Alabama lost in a fluky way maybe Alabama is in.

I think A&M might be (and probably is) better than Cinci and BYU....but I already know A&M isn’t the best team...so May as well let someone else who hasn’t already proven there not get a chance to prove they are or arent

i am going to guess A&M ends up in the playoff
A&M is better than Florida though. They already proved it. Your logic is flawed there. It's not about proving to be #1, it's about being #4.

A&M is better than Florida though. They already proved it. Your logic is flawed there. It's not about proving to be #1, it's about being #4.
A&M is better than Florida.
Unless Florida wins out including a win over Bama.

are you kidding? The purpose of a playoff is to show who is number 1. Not to show who is number 4.

Selection of the 4th team SHOULD be who is the 4th most likely team to be number 1. Not who is the 4th best team via our eye test. IMO, teams who have already proven to not be the best should be excluded from the playoff because we already know they aren’t the best.

We only get 3 games to figure out who is number 1. We should use 33% of these games to let Bama beat A&M again.

are you kidding? The purpose of a playoff is to show who is number 1. Not to show who is number 4.

Selection of the 4th team SHOULD be who is the 4th most likely team to be number 1. Not who is the 4th best team via our eye test. IMO, teams who have already proven to not be the best should be excluded from the playoff because we already know they aren’t the best.
The P5 conference are not going to agree to a system that reward teams for not having to play the traditional power-house schools with an invite to a tournament (as the NCAA has done with basketball). It’s one of the reasons you see the committee so frequently overlook losses and virtually ignore teams without at least a couple of Top 20 wins.

under the current system a 1-loss P5 team gets in over an undefeated G5 team (including BYU). And this is by design. The G5 teams will need to hit the road and schedule 3-4 P5 opponents if they want to guarantee themselves a shot at playing in the 4-team playoff.

The P5 conference are not going to agree to a system that reward teams for not having to play the traditional power-house schools with an invite to a tournament (as the NCAA has done with basketball). It’s one of the reasons you see the committee so frequently overlook losses and virtually ignore teams without at least a couple of Top 20 wins.

under the current system a 1-loss P5 team gets in over an undefeated G5 team (including BYU). And this is by design. The G5 teams will need to hit the road and schedule 3-4 P5 opponents if they want to guarantee themselves a shot at playing in the 4-team playoff.
Everything this year is eye test.
Who has A&M beaten that has a quality win outside the conference?

we assume the SEC is better than the American and that Texas A&M has more quality wins...but where is there data to prove that the SEC is better than the American?
It is only better based on eye test and previous year’s performance. (It is probably better...I know).

I also know nobody agrees with me and that A&M is more likely to make the playoff than a non power 5 if they win out.

Alabama wins out including SEC championship
Notre Dame wins out including ACC championship
The big ten champ is unbeaten
Cincinnati wins out including AAC championship.

Pretty clear:
1) Alabama (SEC)
2) Notre Dame (ACC)
3) Northwestern/Ohio state winner (B10)

your options:
11-0 Coastal Carolina (Sun Belt)
10-0 Marshall (CUSA)
10-0 Cincinnati (AAC)
10-0 BYU (Ind)
10-1 Miami (ACC)
8-1 Texas A&M (SEC)
1 loss Ohio state/Northwestern Loser (B10)
8-1 Indiana or 5-1 Wisconsin (B10)
9-2 Clemson (ACC)
9-2 Florida (SEC)
9-2 Oklahoma or 9-2 Iowa State (B12)
7-2 Georgia (SEC)

What this country really needs to eventually get to is a 12 or 16 team playoff where every conference champ gets an auto bid. We could realistically end the season with FOUR unbeaten conference champs who don’t get in plus an unbeaten independent who had originally scheduled themselves 6 power 5 games
Updated to remove teams who blew it.

Rough start to the game for NW. Early TD and now a big return on a pick. MSU leads 7-0 and driving

A&M is better than Florida.
Unless Florida wins out including a win over Bama.

We only get 3 games to figure out who is number 1. We should use 33% of these games to let Bama beat A&M again.
Why not give A&M another chance to beat Alabama if they're better than literally every other team not currently in the top 4? That's ridiculous.
The playoff committe's job is to select the best 4 teams in the country. Alabama lost a game one year and didn't make the SEC championship game, but still made the playoff.
Whoever you put 4th is going to lose anyways, so this debate is totally pointless. lol.

I hope they don't put two SEC teams in, but that's just my taste.

The thing they do is they stick to their rankings. Teams that win usually stay where they are or move up. Teams that lose move down. Initial rankings are critical for positioning.

One possibility we're discounting is that the committee could use the "eye test" to say that Ohio State is still #4, even though Big Ten rules wouldn't let them play in the conference championship game.

Granted, it's college football, so stupidly, absurdly, abhorrent levels of inconsistency can sprout up randomly any week. See NW.

That said, none of the current CFP top 6 ranked teams should lose a game the rest of the regular season.

Alabama will beat Florida in the SEC championship, and Clemson with Trevor will beat Notre Dame in the ACC championship.

That will put Alabama #1, Clemson #2, and Notre Dame #4 (they'll do this on purpose to avoid a 3rd game between Clemson-ND as a semi-final).

That leaves putting either Ohio State or Texas A&M as #3. SEC/ACC/ESPN can whine and cry all they like that OSU won't have qualified for the Big Ten championship ...... but neither did TA&M !! So how can you justify putting TA&M over them, when neither team lost??

Maybe I'll be wrong and OSU will play both Mich St and Mich, beat both convincingly, then go on to whip NW in the championship. That would obviously settle any doubt. Maybe even put OSU at #2 over Clemson, who knows.

Regardless, I predict that we'll have Alabama v Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl, and Ohio State v Clemson in the Rose Bowl.

Top 7 teams in the CFP rankings remain unchanged, which should be no surprise as all either won or did not play this past weekend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_rankings#CFP_Rankings

With Ohio St seeming to be full speed ahead to play @ Mich St this weekend, and hopefully will blow out Sparty, that "should be" enough to push OSU into the top 4, regardless if they then play and beat Mich in two weekends and then dominate NW in the championship game the weekend after that. I think those two scenarios are either/or right now. The 7-0 would obviously look much nicer, and would propel them probably to #2 seed, after Clemson beats Notre Dame in the ACC championship.

If they can only get to 5-0 and Michigan cancels, it's maybe(?) tough for the committee to move them from #4 to #3, as needs to happen to ensure a Big Ten team in the Rose Bowl. #1 Alabama will win out including over Florida in the SEC championship and remain #1 and play in the Sugar Bowl.

Top Bottom