Who is dumping their season tickets?

This thread is a perfect example of why we should ignore the annoying naysayers on this site. They are not fans in the same way we are. We will never give up our tickets and constantly look for the positive signs within the program. We love the offseason and the recruiting updates. The negatives love to sit at home and criticize our State's team.

Well said.

This thread is a perfect example of why we should ignore the annoying naysayers on this site. They are not fans in the same way we are. We will never give up our tickets and constantly look for the positive signs within the program. We love the offseason and the recruiting updates. The negatives love to sit at home and criticize our State's team.

"The negatives love to sit at home and criticize our States team". Most of these people do not realize the University of Minnesota is "MORE" than just a football team and if they wern't void of brain matter they would realize the U has a direct affect on their lives through the many venues the University provides for this state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayHosea
Never. There's nothing I'd rather do on a Saturday afternoon than watch Gopher football in that stadium. I don't care how bad the team is.

Hosea has the right idea. I'm with you.

It is all about enjoying watching your favorite team. A quick 3 hour drive for my son and I each Sat. It is only a looonnngg ride home when the GG lose. We are IN for the long haul. BTW the top row of section 208 Rock. We haven't sat in our seats all year. We love to stand the entire game.

I didn't have tickets last season and I am thinking about buying a couple. I spent almost as much as a season pack just going to a few games this year.

Keeping my tickets and eventually will add two, as soon as the little ones are old enough to appreciate the game. Love college football. Love the stadium. Love being on campus. Now if I could only get to the top of the gopher hockey season ticket waiting list....

I do not think it will be a challenge to get tickets next

I want tickets, so please go right ahead.

year. In fact you could have bought a ticket for $5 or $10 outside the stadum for every game after the Wisconsin game this year.

I like the way the die hard kool aid drinkers pretend that there isn't going to be ticket sales problem coming up.

The kneejerk, pathetic posts on here by the diehards claiming they will immediately buy up any tickets dumped by the non believers, thus eliminating the huge marketing elephant in the room are comical and sad.

There will be huge patches of empty seats next year, due to the lack of results and side effects of the snake oil.

The roosters are coming home to roost in Maturi's henhouse.

year. In fact you could have bought a ticket for $5 or $10 outside the stadum for every game after the Wisconsin game this year.

I like the way the die hard kool aid drinkers pretend that there isn't going to be ticket sales problem coming up.

The kneejerk, pathetic posts on here by the diehards claiming they will immediately buy up any tickets dumped by the non believers, thus eliminating the huge marketing elephant in the room are comical and sad.

There will be huge patches of empty seats next year, due to the lack of results and side effects of the snake oil.

After we lose to MTSU in Murfreesboro to open the 2010 campaign, there will be an avalanche of tickets availible. Don't think it's going to happen? I saw their bowl game vs. Southern Miss and let me tell you, we flat out do not match up. Check out their DChart--they return a ton from a 10 win season and that QB will eat our new/young defense alive.

I'd wager that the majority of people claiming they are dumping their season tickets have had seats for 2 seasons. They bought them in 2008 with the sole purpose of having priority for 2009. They like it when the Gophers win, but if they lose, the "they suck" card comes out awfully quick. They don't go to away games, they couldn't name 1 starter on the offensive or defensive line and they'd rather piss and moan that the mustard is too spicy at the concession stand than talk about football.

After we lose to MTSU in Murfreesboro to open the 2010 campaign, there will be an avalanche of tickets availible. Don't think it's going to happen? I saw their bowl game vs. Southern Miss and let me tell you, we flat out do not match up. Check out their DChart--they return a ton from a 10 win season and that QB will eat our new/young defense alive.

"We", "our"? You and the Gophers? :eek:I love this guy!:clap:

Let's talk numbers

Fans that are dropping their season tickets are less likely to post of this board. I'm guessing the renewal rate will be about 85% (Vikings are usually 90-95%) which means about 6,000 fans will not renew next year due to the lack of team success, not wanting to be outdoors (older fans), or the new stadium thrill wearing off for them.

That means that the U will need to sell at least 6,000 new season tickets next year to avoid selling individual game tickets. More tickets will need to be sold if the student section is reduced. It may not be the worst thing money wise for the U because they could jack up the individual ticket prices for the games against USC, Iowa, Penn St and Ohio St to offset a season ticket revenue decrease.

i hope more tickets are available, i have 2 and would love to have 4-6 total tickets. we need to reduce the student section or oversell it! and we need to put the old crabby rich folk into the upper deck so no one is told to sit down any longer!

Looks like my 2 extras will have a chance to improve location. And the sound of it, our entire tailgating group shouldn't have any problems getting their own season tickets and move to donation seats to get tailgating lot spot across the street. That will be 4-6 more tickets. Also, I know 2 co-workers that want tickets, that another 4 tickets. Some of my family members want to get 4 together also.

Thanks to all you bandwagon fans! Some people who actually enjoy going to college fb games with friends/family will get their own tickets next year!

There's no doubt they will sell out the 4 'big' games next year, but I'd be surprised if they sell out on season tickets again. There will be single game tickets available. As noted, they may be able to come out even in revenue by charging more for the 4 premier games. But the 4 non-premiere games are going to have huge swaths of empty seats due to the unsold single game tickets along with the usual large # of no-shows. It's all fine and dandy that there may be 200-300 people on this board looking to add tickets. That will absorb maybe 10% of the 6,000 that are likely to become available. But what about the other 90%?

There's no doubt they will sell out the 4 'big' games next year, but I'd be surprised if they sell out on season tickets again. There will be single game tickets available. As noted, they may be able to come out even in revenue by charging more for the 4 premier games. But the 4 non-premiere games are going to have huge swaths of empty seats due to the unsold single game tickets along with the usual large # of no-shows. It's all fine and dandy that there may be 200-300 people on this board looking to add tickets. That will absorb maybe 10% of the 6,000 that are likely to become available. But what about the other 90%?

this is all speculation but it does verify how terrible the vast majority of gopher sports fans actually are! this is why we may never be successful in my opinion. do you think schools like wisky and iowa are just better coached? really? its because their fan base cares about their schools and their football teams so much more than minnesota fans. if we as a fanbase gave a crap about our football program-win or lose we would have a huge demand on tickets. but what many do is decide-well the gophers will be bad this year so lets get viking tickets, or heard the gophers have a new stadium so that means they will be good-time for gopher tickets. never seen such bandwagon fans in my life.

There is only one game in town in Madison & Iowa City. In MN, there are many teams fighting for the sports dollar. It does make a big difference. There is little else sports wise to talk about in many college towns. The Gophers need to win to bring big, consistent crowds.

There is only one game in town in Madison & Iowa City. In MN, there are many teams fighting for the sports dollar. It does make a big difference. There is little else sports wise to talk about in many college towns. The Gophers need to win to bring big, consistent crowds.

I totally disagree that Iowa poster totally let me know that he can do as much as I can in whatever random town he listed. :cool02:

Why do you come on here again? If it is to get people all riled up, then fine, I can see the entertainment value for someone like you. I have a feeling that it isn't for that reason though. Maybe it is just because you arr miserable and want others to be just as miserable as you are. Just a hunch.

this is all speculation but it does verify how terrible the vast majority of gopher sports fans actually are! this is why we may never be successful in my opinion. do you think schools like wisky and iowa are just better coached? really? its because their fan base cares about their schools and their football teams so much more than minnesota fans. if we as a fanbase gave a crap about our football program-win or lose we would have a huge demand on tickets. but what many do is decide-well the gophers will be bad this year so lets get viking tickets, or heard the gophers have a new stadium so that means they will be good-time for gopher tickets. never seen such bandwagon fans in my life.

I agree. I don't think the problem is any one thing. Yes, there are other games in town, and the Vikings, Twins, etc. are more popular. But there are also millions more people within an hour of the campus then Iowa City or Madison. The basketball team is not effected by the Timberwolves, they still sell out most non-cupcakes. 40 years of playing in a meaningful Bowl Game is reason #1 IMO. Gopher football for too many people is just something you turn on Saturday afternoon after you're done raking the leaves or mowing the lawn to pass the time.

I would be interested to see what would happen if we ever get to the Rose Bowl. The following season every game would sell out. The bandwagon would be full. But if we followed that up with an Outback and an Insight Bowl, how long would that last? Would it stick? It did for the basketball team. Is it simply the difference between needing 15,000 for a sellout instead of 51,000? Or is there more to it?

Here is your Gopher fun fact for the day. The following are home attendance numbers(i.e. Tix sold) for the past 3 years. The marketplace here has demand for a minimum of 40,000 tickets, and given the excitement for the stadium and a bowl team, I don't think that is going to go down over the next 3 years. I would be shocked if every game next year doesn't have 50,000 people. If people want to let their tickets go, so be it. If we can draw 43000 to watch Montana State in the sterile environment of the Humpty Dome I'm not going to risk giving up my seats in beautiful TCF because I think I can get in on the cheap.

2009-50,850 sellout

2008-(Nationwide attendance rank 42nd)
N ILLINOIS-44029
MONTANA ST-43929
FLORIDA ATL-41003
INDIANA-40511
NORTHWESTERN-54122
MICHIGAN-55040
IOWA-64071

2007-(Nationwide attendance rank 40th)
BOWLING GREEN-49253
MIAMI OH-45383
PURDUE-47483
OHIO ST-51611
NDSU-63088
ILLINOIS-46604
WISCONSIN-59116

I traveled 6,200 miles to see the Gophs and will continue to do so for however long I am overseas. Seoul to Minneapolis for great times at TCF is worth it in my book.

I agree. I don't think the problem is any one thing. Yes, there are other games in town, and the Vikings, Twins, etc. are more popular. But there are also millions more people within an hour of the campus then Iowa City or Madison. The basketball team is not effected by the Timberwolves, they still sell out most non-cupcakes. 40 years of playing in a meaningful Bowl Game is reason #1 IMO. Gopher football for too many people is just something you turn on Saturday afternoon after you're done raking the leaves or mowing the lawn to pass the time.

I would be interested to see what would happen if we ever get to the Rose Bowl. The following season every game would sell out. The bandwagon would be full. But if we followed that up with an Outback and an Insight Bowl, how long would that last? Would it stick? It did for the basketball team. Is it simply the difference between needing 15,000 for a sellout instead of 51,000? Or is there more to it?

You're right about a breakout season. Even a 10 win season with a Second Place finish, or an Outback or Citrus Bowl would bring people back. You don't need to look farther then the Friday night game against Michigan when 62,000 plus showed-up. If they didn't throw away the 3 touchdown lead in the Fourth Quarter that could have been they turning point- but they did. The list of "heart break" games at the Dome is damn close to endless.

One other point though:

"basketball team is not effected by the Timberwolves, they still sell out most non-cupcakes" They went through a lot of years before Tubby, were there many small crowds for those non-conference seasons.

Not Carver Hawkeye tiny, but certainly not sellouts. :)

Agree completely and this is often forgotten or not mentioned by people when they want to attribute the poor attendance to the other sports options available in the Twin Cities. I have no doubt that this options are a contributing factor but not the primary one. Minnesota has an advantage that they are located in a metro market with a decent population within the state and no other division 1 programs in the state.

Sounds like a paranoid Becky fan to me which also means he probably needs a cache of the drug paxil to get him through the nights by the little hamlet on Lake Madison:p

The "Sunny" Side

I'm not sure how many people won't renew, what I AM sure of is a whole lot of people who were on the Gopher side of the stadium might try and force us "sunny side" people out of seats.

There were quite a few people in the expensive seats in the shady side of the stadium who weren't there for the second half of some of those "colder" games.

I'd guess that more then a few of the "I'm not renewing MY seats" people will do it because of the cold weather not the Gophers performance!

I'm happy to hear that people are giving up their season tickets due to cold weather. I'd rather have them replaced with fans who want to be there to cheer on the team regardless of the temperature! Cold temps mean get up, move around, and make noise! It's amazing how much warmer you get when you get into the game.

I've only had my season tix for 3 years, but picked them up in order to develop the tradition of bringing my kids to the games. Don't plan on having kids for another 7 years, but figured there was no better time to get in than with the stadium opening. I plan on picking up a couple more in the years ahead, so keep 'em coming!

Top Bottom