Who does Tubby have to blow to get those lower level seats filled up?

Traffic was terrible, and a 6pm start doesn't help that.

I was down that way at about 5:30. The rain made for poor visibility and traffic was brutal.

Anybody who can afford a s. Gideline seat can afford to take off 30 mins early IMO.

This is a stupid comment. I don't know what kind of career you hope to have someday when you grow up, but many jobs require attendance at certain times of the day, whether or not they are accompanied by a six-figure salary. Not to mention family or childcare commitments that impact the daily life of an adult.

This is a stupid comment. I don't know what kind of career you hope to have someday when you grow up, but many jobs require attendance at certain times of the day, whether or not they are accompanied by a six-figure salary. Not to mention family or childcare commitments that impact the daily life of an adult.

Agreed. I've actually found that the more money you make, the more hours you put it - and it makes it more difficult to leave a higher paying job early...not to clock in the hours, but because there's actual work that needs to be done.

:cry:

There is a game. It starts at 6. Get there on time. It's not that hard. Find a way. TYVM. :rolleyes:

While I agree with the general point of filling up the Barn, I think tonight is an unfair game to judge things on. I don't live in Minnesota, but making a 6 pm tipoff would require me to leave work early, which is not something I can do that often. An extra wrinkle is that this was the first day back to work after a 4 day holiday weekend for many of us. That makes for a an especially busy day for some of us and one that I couldn't take off early from, so I assume others would be in the same situation.

I assume, of course, that any students with night class conflicts simply skip their classes when there is a basketball game? Right?

Sick and Tired originally posted at 6:12. Were you sitting on the couch and saw empty seats on tv? What is your excuse for not being at the game?

I was able to make it on time because I normally get done with work at 3:30. Since it was the day after a long weekend, i was in the office an extra half hour. If I worked til 5, there would be no way I could make it there on time with food, parking, and transportation. Some people have to pick others up, that takes even longer. Get a grip on reality. Not everyone lives and works on campus.

I work in SLP and had tutoring after the school day until 4:45 in Richfield. I met a fellow gopher fan in SLP at 5:20 and we carpooled to the game together. Once we finally got there, only 2 minutes remained in the first half. Such is life. People have commitments, and with the weather, early start time and traffic, I understand the difficulties people faced getting to the gym.

It's nothing to piss and moan about. It's just everyday life.

Anybody who can afford a sideline seat can afford to take off 30 mins early IMO.

I take it that you don't have one of the jobs you reference. For many people, leaving early to attend the game contribute to the loss of the job that bought the seats in the first place. But yes, lets rag on folks for wanting to maintain job security during a period of economic instability.

I assume, of course, that any students with night class conflicts simply skip their classes when there is a basketball game? Right?

B10 games, for sure. A game against Virginia, maybe not. Although the fact that it was on ESPN2 may have helped

I take it that you don't have one of the jobs you reference. For many people, leaving early to attend the game contribute to the loss of the job that bought the seats in the first place. But yes, lets rag on folks for wanting to maintain job security during a period of economic instability.

:rolleyes:

Maybe Williams needs free wifi..... LOL.

Sick and Tired originally posted at 6:12. Were you sitting on the couch and saw empty seats on tv? What is your excuse for not being at the game?

I was able to make it on time because I normally get done with work at 3:30. Since it was the day after a long weekend, i was in the office an extra half hour. If I worked til 5, there would be no way I could make it there on time with food, parking, and transportation. Some people have to pick others up, that takes even longer. Get a grip on reality. Not everyone lives and works on campus.
I am unfortunately a couple thousand miles away and so TV is my only way to see my team. I know that this is not the case for around a million people in the Twin Cities. I did my part when I lived there...... WITH a job..... that actually involved frequent late afternoon/evening work......... BEFORE the smartphone/wifi take-your-work-home-with-you era....... and somehow didn't get fired. No idea how I did it. :confused:

I am unfortunately a couple thousand miles away and so TV is my only way to see my team. I know that this is not the case for around a million people in the Twin Cities. I did my part when I lived there...... WITH a job..... that actually involved frequent late afternoon/evening work......... BEFORE the smartphone/wifi take-your-work-home-with-you era....... and somehow didn't get fired. No idea how I did it. :confused:

I find it hard to believe you are an actual member of the workforce or ever have been. Anyone who has ever had a FT job would never have made the remark you made. Perhaps you have worked for minimum wage and assume anyone with a decent paying job MUST have a flexible schedule that means they can take off to go to a basketball game. Perhaps you have been retired so long your memory is failing you. Whatever the case, as also noted by the multitude of people who disagree with you, your argument is flawed.

If you care so much, fly back to Minneapolis on game days so you can help fill up the seats. Sounds reasonable to me.

I find it hard to believe you are an actual member of the workforce or ever have been. Anyone who has ever had a FT job would never have made the remark you made. Perhaps you have worked for minimum wage and assume anyone with a decent paying job MUST have a flexible schedule that means they can take off to go to a basketball game. Perhaps you have been retired so long your memory is failing you. Whatever the case, as also noted by the multitude of people who disagree with you, your argument is flawed.

If you care so much, fly back to Minneapolis on game days so you can help fill up the seats. Sounds reasonable to me.
Well, I would, but the traffic is sooooo terrible, and it's snowing, and I have childcare obligations and my dog ate the tickets and......... but I can make it for the 2nd half!

Of course I will sit on my hands the whole game but it's only because they're cold and I need to warm them up! Because it's sooooo coooold outside, you see!

Watch these same people all magically showing up on time come February and the Gophers are in the NCAA race......

Well, I would, but the traffic is sooooo terrible, and it's snowing, and I have childcare obligations and my dog ate the tickets and......... but I can make it for the 2nd half!

Of course I will sit on my hands the whole game but it's only because they're cold and I need to warm them up! Because it's sooooo coooold outside, you see!

Watch these same people all magically showing up on time come February and the Gophers are in the NCAA race......

SATOLTW: What did you do for a living in MSP? (No lying, please.) And what do you do now and in which city do you live?

Sick and Tired,

Thanks for sharing that you do not know what the traffic was like yesterday in the cities. And where did you work or live when you were here. If it was the western suburbs, I doubt you would have been able to make it on time last night if you worked til 5.

By the way, when was the last time we lost to WI? 3 years ago? Might wanna update your name.

I have a question for you. In your personal and professional life, are you ever right about anything? I ask because your takes on just about anything on the football and basketball boards have pretty much been universally terrible and wrong.

>>If you care so much, fly back to Minneapolis on game days so you can help fill up the seats.<<

He would except the pat-down leaves him so ashamed.

So because you supposedly did it, that means that every other job allows a worker to just take off work when he/she wants because of a gopher game?

Minnesota fans: excuses for everything. 6pm start too early, 8pm start too late. Traffic was bad, weather was bad, weather was good, blah blah blah.

In case nobody has noticed, tons of people show up late and leave early regardless of the game time or the traffic or even if the game is close. And the majority of those people are in the best seats. This state is full of terrible fans, and nothing will ever change that.

It's not like the schedule was announced yesterday. Plan ahead.

Psychological projection in action......

So because you supposedly did it, that means that every other job allows a worker to just take off work when he/she wants because of a gopher game?
I believe my original post was lamenting the emptiness of the lower deck sideline area on TV. Somehow it led down a sordid path on which I am alleged to have said that "every job" allows "any worker" to take off "whenever they want," and then gone and kicked a puppy or something. I don't know how that happened but I'm happy to serve as the bad guy/girl if that is how one wants to see me. What can I say, every puppy deserves a good kicking now and then. :rolleyes:

It was just an example. I guess I never realized that my ability to get to places on time was so rare and so I guess I just never thought much of it! :confused:

It's too bad we have so many hard-core, bleed-maroon-and-gold fans who live so far away and just can't manage to get in until the first half is half over, despite their heroic efforts in Bangalorean traffic, and a significant portion of whom are so strapped for time -- and funds for such a thing in this harsh economic climate! -- they can't even manage to throw on a maroon or gold sweatshirt or something. :( Very sad, don't you think? :(

This gives me an idea: How about a clothing drive. We could set up donation bins around the U campus where people could donate U-colored clothing for impoverished western suburbs Gopher fans for the game. I think it could brighten a lot of holidays. Who's with me?? :D

Thanks for sharing that you do not know what the traffic was like yesterday in the cities. And where did you work or live when you were here. If it was the western suburbs, I doubt you would have been able to make it on time last night if you worked til 5.
That is a good point. I didn't live or work in the western burbs. It's too bad that 1/3 of our sideline lower deck apparently does. :( Amazing that we have so many fans from there though... imagine what the athletic dept. could accomplish if they were to start marketing to other TC vicinities with the same carpet-bombing strategy being applied to Maple Grove and Eden Prairie! :eek:

By the way, when was the last time we lost to WI? 3 years ago? Might wanna update your name.
10/09/2010. Very eager to change it to HappyToHaveFinallyBeatenWI but am not holding my breath.

I have a question for you. In your personal and professional life, are you ever right about anything? I ask because your takes on just about anything on the football and basketball boards have pretty much been universally terrible and wrong.
Well, screw you too, I suppose. :confused:

>>If you care so much, fly back to Minneapolis on game days so you can help fill up the seats.<<

He would except the pat-down leaves him so ashamed.
Have not yet flown since implementation of the pat-downs, but am greatly looking forward to it.

Just because you didn't explicitly say those words doesn't mean you didn't imply the general point I was making. There's a reason that almost everyone on this thread read what you said the same way. You complained about there being empty seats... people said early start + work = late... you said you managed to be on time while working when you lived here... your point was obviously to imply that you were capable of leaving work early for games so other people should be too. That was extremely narrow-sighted and you know it.

There weren't any more open seats by 6:15 than you'd see at almost any other arena. The place was basically sold out against what most people believe is a last or near last ACC team. There are always going to be some empty seats because people don't want to buy a ticket to sit alone, and there are always going to be some seats that are empty because of emergencies.

Also, please explain your subject of "psychological projection". I'm not sure you know what that means.

I believe my original post was lamenting the emptiness of the lower deck sideline area on TV. Somehow it led down a sordid path on which I am alleged to have said that "every job" allows "any worker" to take off "whenever they want," and then gone and kicked a puppy or something. I don't know how that happened but I'm happy to serve as the bad guy/girl if that is how one wants to see me. What can I say, every puppy deserves a good kicking now and then. :rolleyes:

It was just an example. I guess I never realized that my ability to get to places on time was so rare and so I guess I just never thought much of it! :confused:

Top Bottom