Who do you want as the next OC?

I don’t think any of us know whether Simon will be a good OC. He was basically driving the car that Ciarrocca built against Auburn. Can he consistently design and build offenses? Is he willing to adapt and driven to keep learning new stuff? How good are his in-game adjustments? I don’t know any of that, but I’m sure Fleck has an idea of Simon’s ceiling as an OC

If he hires Simon, I’m good with that. If he goes in a different direction, then I’m sure there’s something that we, as fans, don’t know about

My vote (the one that matters as much as anyone else on here), would be to hire Willy Korn away from Coastal Carolina. They seem to be 1-2 years ahead of what everyone else is doing in college football. The only problem is their offense is dependent on a mobile QB. I think we have a few of those on the roster…but they’re not our starter. The incoming kid from South Dakota looks to be a really good runner

A lot of variables, like playing with the lead more often in 2016, 2019 and 2021, playing from behind more in 2017 and 2020, etc.

But, here are season per game averages:

2016 (Western Michigan) - 45 rush/27 pass

2017 - 43 rush/19 pass
2018 - 40 rush/26 pass
2019 - 43 rush/24 pass

2020 - 42 rush/26 pass
2021 - 46 rush/20 pass

worth noting - also at WMU: more passing earlier in Fleck's head coaching career

2013 - 32 rush / 37 pass
2014 - 39 rush / 29 pass
2015 - 41 rush / 31 pass

It should be Simon and only Simon.
He deserves a shot, he's intimated and......cheaper than bringing in a current OC type.

Sanford was such a failure hire that never made a lick of sense from the get go.
Immediately looked like the wrong hire, obviously a 'rah rah' PJ type hire when Simon is torn from the KC cloth and on short notice, beat AUBURN in the Outback bowl. I wouldn't be sore if Simon didn't leave after the debacle Sanford hire....but hope to God he gets his deserved chance.

I'd love someone with enough gravitas to push back against PJ's conservative tendencies. Ideally someone who has been around the college game for a long time with a track record of success. The idea of an up and comer who has had 1-2 years of success doing some unique things is appealing to me, but also seems like a bad fit with PJ.

I am more than fine with Simon if that's who Fleck decides on and would also be fine with Patterson or Burns if he stayed in house too. I am not sure why people think Simon would/should leave if he doesn't get the play calling responsibilities. He's never been a coordinator or a QB coach before. He's responsible for recruiting both Minnesota and his postion group, neither of which he has wowed at. He's got a nice position at Minnesota complete with a co-offensive coordinator title. Is he likely to get that at another power 5 school? It wouldn't be unusual for someone with Simon's credentials to go back to the MAC at some point to be an OC and then parlay that either in to a head job in a smaller league or possibly come back to Minnesota or another power 5 as the OC/play caller once he's proven himself. That type of career arc usually requires a pay cut and the desire to bet on yourself.

I'd love someone with enough gravitas to push back against PJ's conservative tendencies. Ideally someone who has been around the college game for a long time with a track record of success.

Totally outside the box, but what about David Cutcliffe? He would be exactly what you described. He is a QB whisperer, so to speak, who would certainly not be afraid to tell PJ what the offense needs to do to be successful. He is an older guy (67 years old), with tons of big time experience and a track record on offense and as a QB developer that is quite impressive.

Of course, I have no idea if a guy who's been a head coach as much as Cutcliffe has wants to work for a young guy like PJ Fleck. Or, if a guy who has spent his entire life in the south wants to move north. Or, if he has offset language in his Duke termination where it makes more sense to not coach.

But, if I'm PJ Fleck, I'd throw a $1 million his way and see what he says.

I don’t think any of us know whether Simon will be a good OC. He was basically driving the car that Ciarrocca built against Auburn. Can he consistently design and build offenses? Is he willing to adapt and driven to keep learning new stuff? How good are his in-game adjustments? I don’t know any of that, but I’m sure Fleck has an idea of Simon’s ceiling as an OC

If he hires Simon, I’m good with that. If he goes in a different direction, then I’m sure there’s something that we, as fans, don’t know about

My vote (the one that matters as much as anyone else on here), would be to hire Willy Korn away from Coastal Carolina. They seem to be 1-2 years ahead of what everyone else is doing in college football. The only problem is their offense is dependent on a mobile QB. I think we have a few of those on the roster…but they’re not our starter. The incoming kid from South Dakota looks to be a really good runner
This is pretty much where I'm at as well. I just never understood the overwhelming love for a WR coach who may have put together part of a game plan on one month's preparation two years ago (against an Auburn team that could have likely had a dozen or so players that had mentally checked out by then after the disappointing way they finished the season). Simon may get the gig, and if he does I hope he crushes it, but we don't have any evidence that he's capable of handling the day-to-day task of running every detail on the offensive side of the ball from Sunday to Saturday.

This is an attractive position and a valuable asset, and I'm sure Fleck has been planning on this for a while and turning over every rock. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'll be on board with whatever direction they go!

This is pretty much where I'm at as well. I just never understood the overwhelming love for a WR coach who may have put together part of a game plan on one month's preparation two years ago (against an Auburn team that could have likely had a dozen or so players that had mentally checked out by then after the disappointing way they finished the season). Simon may get the gig, and if he does I hope he crushes it, but we don't have any evidence that he's capable of handling the day-to-day task of running every detail on the offensive side of the ball from Sunday to Saturday.
96F7DA97-2C3D-4ECF-A815-65C08C5F0B9B.jpeg

Simon was passing-game coordinator in 2019. He was heavily involved and integral to putting together the offensive game plans for every game that year.

Don't listen to trolls.

Fleck knows what he has in internal guys and he should be able to find what he needs in a QB/Passing Game guy.

The WR, TE, OL, RB guys are all good. Needs to blend them with a QB guy. Not sure the new person needs to be 100% play caller. That can still be a Co-OC type of formula.

Saw this name out there as a suggestion from Daniel House which is a good subscription if you are looking for more content. David Yost. He's a bit more up tempo and spread it around, but could it be blended with our running game?

DAVID YOST COACHING EXPERIENCE
2019-Present – Texas Tech Offensive Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
2017-18 – Utah State Offensive Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
2016 – Oregon Passing Game Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
2013-15 – Washington State Assistant Coach (Inside Receivers)
2011-12 – Missouri Asst. Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
2009-10 – Missouri Offensive Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
2001-08 – Missouri Assistant Coach/Recruiting Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
1996-2000 – Toledo Asst. Coach/Recruiting Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
1990-95 – Tiffin University Offensive Coordinator (Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers)
1988-89 – Tiffin University Assistant Coach (Wide Receivers)

Would be funny if we hired another OC that worked with Jordan Love.

I'd love someone with enough gravitas to push back against PJ's conservative tendencies.
230114_908223010.png

Then that person would never be hired by Fleck in the first place!

Fleck demands that the offense follow the same identity. Whoever is running the offense next season, will be doing nearly the same overall type of thing that we were doing in 2019 and 2021.

Zero chance he's going to totally switch things up and make Morgan learn a brand new scheme in his final year.

Just absolutely bizarre if you think that is on the table.

He's never been a coordinator or a QB coach before.
What does being a QB coach have to do with anything?? Silly

He has been a coordinator: 2020 Outback bowl, which we won, and likely (not proven) the last three games of this season.

:rolleyes:

For hiring in general, you're 100% correct.

For the second highest and most critical position in the organization, yes, I'm afraid I'm probably going to want a little bit of a track record. The Offensive Coordinator at a P5 school, the Univ of Minnesota, I don't think should be treated like a "let's see what he can do" position.

Again, I'm on board with whatever they do, and if it's Simon, great, I hope he nails it. I'm just saying the search shouldn't start and end right there.

Simon was passing-game coordinator in 2019. He was heavily involved and integral to putting together the offensive game plans for every game that year.

Don't listen to trolls.
As has been pointed out many times, he was also passing game coordinator last year and this year...when the passing game was poo. It's now obvious that Fleck puts most of the responsibility for that on Sanford, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think Simon played a role as well. Fun to speculate on a huge hire like this though...and we should know in pretty short order.

Fleck knows what he has in internal guys and he should be able to find what he needs in a QB/Passing Game guy.

The WR, TE, OL, RB guys are all good. Needs to blend them with a QB guy. Not sure the new person needs to be 100% play caller. That can still be a Co-OC type of formula.

Saw this name out there as a suggestion from Daniel House which is a good subscription if you are looking for more content. David Yost. He's a bit more up tempo and spread it around, but could it be blended with our running game?

DAVID YOST COACHING EXPERIENCE
2019-Present – Texas Tech Offensive Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
2017-18 – Utah State Offensive Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
2016 – Oregon Passing Game Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
2013-15 – Washington State Assistant Coach (Inside Receivers)
2011-12 – Missouri Asst. Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
2009-10 – Missouri Offensive Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
2001-08 – Missouri Assistant Coach/Recruiting Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
1996-2000 – Toledo Asst. Coach/Recruiting Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
1990-95 – Tiffin University Offensive Coordinator (Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers)
1988-89 – Tiffin University Assistant Coach (Wide Receivers)

Would be funny if we hired another OC that worked with Jordan Love.
Not sure the new person needs to be 100% play caller. That can still be a Co-OC type of formula.

I don't think this works. I think you need to have the person that is calling the game, call 100% of the game. Having two people can be conflicting. I think it's okay for game planning, but not play calling.

he was also passing game coordinator last year and this year...when the passing game was poo.
Because Sanford ignored Simon's ideas and suggestions, and just did his own thing.

Can't disprove it.

This is a crucial hire. Fleck knows that.

If he was going to promote from within, it seems odd that he hasn't already announced the new OC. Plus, if he was considering hiring from within he could have made the move during the season, and as he did with Rossi he could have started out with an 'interim' tag.

If I was Fleck, I would want candidates with these qualifications:

— A proven track record
— Ability to work closely with and guide the QB
— Experience in some type of RPO system or similar (we don't want to be learning an entirely new system)
— Recruiting ability

You probably can't expect to steal a coach who is already an OC from a helmet school, and most good coaches won't make a lateral move. To me, that makes it seem likely the new hire will be perceived to be making a step up to Minnesota and the B1G.

So I looked at the schedule of conference championship games this weekend. I eliminated schools such as Iowa, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, etc., because of the reason stated above.

That left me with the likes of Northern Illinois, Kent State, Utah State, etc.

Then I looked at those teams' offensive output and style of offense. I was looking for a decent run/pass balance with no over-emphasis on passing. Then I looked for RPO style offenses.

Here's a guy that seems to check most of the boxes (although I don't know about recruiting prowess):

SI article on Wake Forest's RPO offense:

Wake Forest's Confounding RPO System Has Demon Deacons Offense Rolling​

Dave Clawson's rather unique take on the popular play puts opposing defenses in constant conflict.

If he was going to promote from within, it seems odd that he hasn't already announced the new OC. Plus, if he was considering hiring from within he could have made the move during the season, and as he did with Rossi he could have started out with an 'interim' tag.

— A proven track record
— Experience in some type of RPO system or similar (we don't want to be learning an entirely new system)
— Recruiting ability

You probably can't expect to steal a coach who is already an OC from a helmet school, and most good coaches won't make a lateral move. To me, that makes it seem likely the new hire will be perceived to be making a step up to Minnesota and the B1G.

So I looked at the schedule of conference championship games this weekend. I eliminated schools such as Iowa, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, etc., because of the reason stated above.

Then I looked at those teams' offensive output and style of offense. I was looking for a decent run/pass balance with no over-emphasis on passing. Then I looked for RPO style offenses.

Here's a guy that seems to check most of the boxes (although I don't know about recruiting prowess):

Dave Clawson's rather unique take on the popular play puts opposing defenses in constant conflict.

The QB butt blocking is really a cool wrinkle.

As has been pointed out many times, he was also passing game coordinator last year and this year...when the passing game was poo. It's now obvious that Fleck puts most of the responsibility for that on Sanford, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think Simon played a role as well. Fun to speculate on a huge hire like this though...and we should know in pretty short order.

We don't really know who has been calling all of the plays or designing and implementing the game plan. We don't really know whether Fleck blames Sanford wholly or only partly for the performance of the offense. Just because he moved on Sanford and not Simon doesn't mean he places all the blame on Sanford--he still needs a staff for the bowl game after all. Simon may not end up returning next season by either his choice or PJ's. The OC job has been posted and I'd think Simon is the leading candidate, but we'll know a lot more when we see what happens after signing day and the bowl.

— A proven track record
— Recruiting ability

All the haters here for the hurry-up-and-wait offense being run now would probably get seizures from watching that "slow mesh" handoff offense.

All the haters here for the hurry-up-and-wait offense being run now would probably get seizures from watching that "slow mesh" handoff offense.

That would be half the fun, from my perspective. :cool::ROFLMAO:

Because Sanford ignored Simon's ideas and suggestions, and just did his own thing.

Can't disprove it.
Can't prove it either.

All of this is speculation...you have no clue how much Simon played into the good or bad parts of the offense. You just have your little talking point and are going to run it into the ground. Like all the posters who seem to believe that PJ will play Morgan despite supposedly better QBs being on the roster.

Maybe Simon is a genius, maybe he got lucky with the Auburn game. Most likely neither is true. If he was the slam dunk you all seem to think he is he would have the job already. Just like if Clark was so much better than Morgan he would be here and Morgan would be at the powerhouse that is Rice.

@RememberMurray

Ruggiero has been with Dave Clawson every season since they started at Bowling Green in 2009. So this is the 13th year.

Also, they've been at Wake Forest for eight years (granted last year was covid). This year is the first time they've had a breakout year, in all those years. The four years prior to last year's covid season, they were either 7-6 or 8-5. Pretty good for WF, but hardly like this year.

So, unless they just switched to it this season for whatever reason, I'm not so sure it's a silver bullet.

Can't prove it either.

All of this is speculation...you have no clue how much Simon played into the good or bad parts of the offense.
Correct

If he was the slam dunk you all seem to think he is he would have the job already.
Wasn't hired in 2020 because Fleck already had his mind made up to hire his buddy Sanford, as soon as he found out KC was leaving to go back east.

As far as this year ... it is a fair point. Why hasn't it already been announced?

Maybe Fleck wants to give the appearance of doing due diligence. Maybe he's fielding calls from people interested in the job that he had no idea would attract that caliber of candidate, so he can't turn them down? Maybe he's working on shoring up other assistants, new contract extension for Rossi, etc., and wants to announce it all at once?

I can go all day. But like you said, all I have is speculation.

I honestly would prefer someone from outside...but I am not Fleck I will back who he chooses until said person sucks and then I will burn them to the ground ;)

@RememberMurray

Ruggiero has been with Dave Clawson every season since they started at Bowling Green in 2009. So this is the 13th year.

Also, they've been at Wake Forest for eight years (granted last year was covid). This year is the first time they've had a breakout year, in all those years. The four years prior to last year's covid season, they were either 7-6 or 8-5. Pretty good for WF, but hardly like this year.

So, unless they just switched to it this season for whatever reason, I'm not so sure it's a silver bullet.

To me, the fact that he's been with Clawson all that time is a huge selling point. We don't need a job-hopper at offensive coordinator. We don't want to have a situation like Mason had, where the QB had to learn four different offenses in his four seasons as a Gopher.

As far as your statement that this season was their first breakout year at Wake, according to the following that's simply not true for their offense...

"Over the last four seasons, Ruggiero has directed one of the most prolific offenses in college football. Ruggiero has coordinated a Demon Deacon offense that has set or tied over 300 offensive records in the past four seasons. The Deacons’ accomplishments over the last four years have included posting four of the top five total offense seasons in school history. Since the start of the 2017 season, Wake Forest’s 103 touchdown passes are the third most ACC team and the most of any four-year period in school history.

2017-2019 produced the three highest scoring seasons in school history with each club surpassing 400 points. Wake Forest’s 1,300 points scored during the last three years is the highest-scoring three-year period in Deacon history.

While the Deacs did not reach the 400-point barrier in 2020 due to playing in just nine game, Wake Forest added another offensive record to Ruggiero's tenure. The Demon Deacons averaged 36.0 points per game, edging out the 2017 record of 35.3 points per game."

Last edited:

This is an attractive position and a valuable asset, and I'm sure Fleck has been planning on this for a while and turning over every rock. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'll be on board with whatever direction they go!

Ciarrocca was the offensive coordinator until a week before the bowl game. That was likely his game plan and Simon just followed through with it and called the plays.

To me, the fact that he's been with Clawson all that time is a huge selling point. We don't need a job-hopper at offensive coordinator. We don't want to have a situation like Mason had, where the QB had to learn four different offenses in his four seasons as a Gopher.

As far as your statement that this season was their first breakout year at Wake, according to the following that's simply not true for their offense...

"Over the last four seasons, Ruggiero has directed one of the most prolific offenses in college football. Ruggiero has coordinated a Demon Deacon offense that has set or tied over 300 offensive records in the past four seasons. The Deacons’ accomplishments over the last four years have included posting four of the top five total offense seasons in school history. Since the start of the 2017 season, Wake Forest’s 103 touchdown passes are the third most ACC team and the most of any four-year period in school history.

2017-2019 produced the three highest scoring seasons in school history with each club surpassing 400 points. Wake Forest’s 1,300 points scored during the last three years is the highest-scoring three-year period in Deacon history.

While the Deacs did not reach the 400-point barrier in 2020 due to playing in just nine game, Wake Forest added another offensive record to Ruggiero's tenure. The Demon Deacons averaged 36.0 points per game, edging out the 2017 record of 35.3 points per game."

Ruggiero would be a great hire, I just don't see him leaving for Minnesota. He's worked under Clawson all 8 years at Wake, is an east coast guy, and it would be a pretty lateral move.

Ruggiero would be a great hire, I just don't see him leaving for Minnesota. He's worked under Clawson all 8 years at Wake, is an east coast guy, and it would be a pretty lateral move.

Very true. I have no idea if Ruggiero would come to Minnesota. I don't know if he fits Fleck's vision of what he (Fleck) wants in an OC.

Just speculation on my part.

Top Bottom