Who do you want as the next OC?

gopher8

Reaction score
What is everyone thinking initially? We don't yet know who called the plays the last 3 games. Is that who we want to see?

Bring back Ciarrocca? Maybe we go out of the box and bring in Dan Mullen (not!). Curious to see where everyone stands on this.

Whoever they gave more power in play calling the last three games should get the bowl game as a full audition, and then if it goes well, hire them. I think Simon or Patterson had a hand in the play calling the last three games and things went better.

I’d need a lot more information to have any strong opinion who it should be. But, PJ screwed up not picking Simon the first time.
So, if it isn’t Simon this time, (#1) the guy selected better be dang good! (#2) You probably need a wide receivers coach?
This is all assuming Simon wants the job, which seems likely.

Find the coach who doesn’t call RUTM all the time?

Winner.

I bet it will be Simon. Sure seems like the offense was Simonized those last three games.
Eric Decker available to be WR coach?

I do like that idea... No idea if he is even interested or capable of being a coach, but just thinking about it is exciting.

Ciarrocca quit to go elsewhere twice…

If PJ takes him back i will too, happily.

Otherwise I think Ciarrocca made it clear that Minnesota doesn’t work for his family situation. No bad feelings towards him, but I’m not sure it is a good match a second / third time.

I bet it will be Simon. Sure seems like the offense was Simonized those last three games.
the guy is living the absolute dream right now....im not sure he and his wife are going to want the crazy busy lifestyle that is being a college football coach

Fleck needs to cast a wide net here. Immediately settling on Simon would be ridiculous. This is the second highest position at a P5 school. The Gopher OC position is a commodity, and asset. This will be an attractive position. I always look at an opening on my staff to make the organization better. You're holding something that a lot of qualified people would love to have. There are significantly attractive options out there and available.

This hire needs to improve the program, part of the continuation of moving forward. The OC isn't just a play-caller, that person is in control of everything on that side of the ball, Sunday through Saturday.

I'm not saying Simon can't do the job or that I would hate it if that happens, but I have to admit I would like to see someone come in with some credentials for having done the job before and at a very successful level. I'm sure he has someone in mind and they're close to making a move, whether it's Simon or from the outside. He needs to hit on this hire. The wrong move would not be good for the forward progress of the program.

It wouldn’t hurt to bring in a recruiter/coach with some pedigree.

With Morgan and Mo coming back, and hopefully CAB, it would be nice to keep consistency with Simon / Patterson / Guys on the current staff. Just doing it for consistency sake isn't the right answer either though.

I just think Simon (and Patterson) are actually legit so I think it's a win in both consistency and ability.

I wonder if Chris Carter still owns a house in the area?
He knows a little about catching footballs.

I think it'll be Simon

If it isn't Simon, I'll expect Simon to be leaving soon (and if PJ decides that route, so be it)

I like Simon for the spot. I’d be good with Patterson or Ciarrocca too. Another name I’m seeing floated out there is Andrew Sowder, the OC at Kent State, he’d be a good fit too, but might cost them Simon if they overlook him again.

Simon.

Exact same thing as Rossi.

Patterson can coach QB's and has before. Elevate him to passing-game coordinator, or even co-OC if you need to play that silly game. Get a new TE coach.

As GWG said, if that was what the plan was, seems like there is zero reason why it wouldn't have been announced by now.

Only thing I can think of is: they're trying to make multiple moves, including keeping Rossi and maybe a new deal for him, and they want to announce everything at once.

Or ... maybe Fleck himself is hashing things out with offers. Hopefully not

If Simon doesn't get the job. Sorry, but I hope he gives Fleck the middle finger. Just silly. Go prove what everyone already knows: that you're perfectly qualified, and will do a great job, of being an OC somewhere.

Last edited:

Whoever they gave more power in play calling the last three games should get the bowl game as a full audition, and then if it goes well, hire them. I think Simon or Patterson had a hand in the play calling the last three games and things went better.
If it was sanford the last 3 games do you want him back?

Yeah that makes total sense: Sanford did such a great job with the turnaround the last three games, that they fired him.

:sneaky:

Whoever Fleck hires
PJ's willingness to move on certianly instills some confidence for me that the choice, while important and impactful, doesn't have as many risks as we've seen with other coaches who won't move on.

Fleck needs to cast a wide net here. Immediately settling on Simon would be ridiculous. This is the second highest position at a P5 school. The Gopher OC position is a commodity, and asset. This will be an attractive position. I always look at an opening on my staff to make the organization better. You're holding something that a lot of qualified people would love to have. There are significantly attractive options out there and available.

This hire needs to improve the program, part of the continuation of moving forward. The OC isn't just a play-caller, that person is in control of everything on that side of the ball, Sunday through Saturday.

I'm not saying Simon can't do the job or that I would hate it if that happens, but I have to admit I would like to see someone come in with some credentials for having done the job before and at a very successful level. I'm sure he has someone in mind and they're close to making a move, whether it's Simon or from the outside. He needs to hit on this hire. The wrong move would not be good for the forward progress of the program.
The bolded, so true. Don't hear much about this, but the play designs and strategy is where it all starts and the actual play calling is a result of these two things!

PJ's willingness to move on certianly instills some confidence for me that the choice, while important and impactful, doesn't have as many risks as we've seen with other coaches who won't move on.
I don't think this can be overstated.

Moving on from the previous DC to Rossi was a BIG deal. Moving on from Sanford is a BIG deal. Often people in that kind of authority, who have achieved any level of success, are unwilling to admit making a mistake, hiring the wrong person. These two decisions alone tell me about as much about Fleck as I need to know. His ego isn't such that he's unable to see the situation from 30,000 feet.

Oh, that, and the fact that Minnesota has been among the FBS leaders in fewest penalties per game since he's been with the Gophers and I'm in the camp that thinks penalties is LARGELY coaching.

If it was sanford the last 3 games do you want him back?
This will probably always be a bit of a mystery but there is just no way it could have been Sanford calling the shots in those last 3 games. If it had been Sanford I don't think he would have been fired right away after the Wisconsin game.

As for Simon and/or Patterson, if they weren't the driving force behind the changes at the end of the year then I think Fleck looks outside the program for the new OC. If they were responsible for what we all clearly saw then it makes a ton of sense to put whoever was driving the offense at the end in charge going forward.

If Simon doesn't get the job. Sorry, but I hope he gives Fleck the middle finger. Just silly. Go prove what everyone already knows: they're you're perfectly qualified, and will do a great job, of being an OC somewhere.
This is based on absolutely nothing other than observation and speculation, but my sense on the hiring of Sanford in the first place was that Fleck wanted to assemble a dream team: the idea that he could retain the talents of Simon and Patterson and add Sanford to boot. It's great in concept until you find that Sanford can't do the top job very well. As I observed earlier, it's a wonder that neither of the other two haven't left the program for promotions elsewhere.

Top Bottom