Who are you cheering for - WI or Cornell

GopherLady

Reaction score
I ALWAYS cheer for BT teams post-season, but my heart is with Cornell...for a great upset, and because I hate Bucky all year until now. I kind of feel guilty though.

Definately cheering for WI and all big ten teams. But the badgers better get it going!

Cornell, I will cheer for big ten teams, but I will not allow myself to cheer for Iowa and WI.

Always the underdog unless it's a MN team.

I'm all Purdue, Ohio St & Michigan St today, but going against WI and for Cornell & Ryan Whitman.

Not really cheering for anybody in particular, but I must say I am surprised to see how much of a thrashing Cornell is laying on Bucky.

How can any Gopher fan cheer for Wisconsin?

What can be gained by the Gophers if Wisconsin wins? Nothing other than maybe Digger Phelps uttering - "I guess the Big Ten was better than I thought." Who cares?????

If the Badgers win - your biggest rival and a team that recruits heavily in Minnesota advances once again to the Sweet 16 in front of a national audience.

Once again - WHY WOULD A GOPHER FAN EVER CHEER FOR ANOTHER B10 TEAM TO DO WELL, ESPECIALLY WISCONSIN???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always cheer Gophers first, Big Ten second.

i could never cheer for wisconsin, but it wouldn't have bothered me all that much if they had won. i found myself cheering the nothing-but-net three pointers that cornell was hitting...until CBS switched to another game.

How can any Gopher fan cheer for Wisconsin?

What can be gained by the Gophers if Wisconsin wins? Nothing other than maybe Digger Phelps uttering - "I guess the Big Ten was better than I thought." Who cares?????

If the Badgers win - your biggest rival and a team that recruits heavily in Minnesota advances once again to the Sweet 16 in front of a national audience.

Once again - WHY WOULD A GOPHER FAN EVER CHEER FOR ANOTHER B10 TEAM TO DO WELL, ESPECIALLY WISCONSIN???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This subject has been beaten to death, every year. I'll just post my convo today with Shelman on Facebook, other than that, if you still don't get it - you never will. Don't have to agree, just have to see the perspective. I get people that don't cheer for the BT, don't agree, but I see why:

about an hour ago ·
Jeff Shelman
Jeff Shelman
I don't get your logic in even thinking about rooting for the badgers. Did you root for the vikings in the playoffs?
45 minutes ago ·
Nadine Babu
Nadine Babu
I don't get your logic in going to the U and not cheering for the Gophers!

Let me explain, a weak NFC north does not hurt recruiting. If the Big 10 is weak, like a mid-major school, it's hard to recruit. Also, if the Big 10 is weak, we don't get in the tourney - because god knows our NC schedule does not help our RPI or SOS. You want your conference to be solid and do well - a history of that helps you also get more bids.
42 minutes ago ·
Jeff Shelman
Jeff Shelman
But if your biggest rival has more success year in and year out than your team, wouldn't that negatively impact your team's ability to recruit?
33 minutes ago ·
Nadine Babu
Nadine Babu
If we were losing guys left and right to WI that we wanted, I would maybe have a different outlook. They can have Mike Bruesewitz. They haven't gotten any guys we wanted in the past 3 years...and although Leuer is good, we essentially chose Hoff over him before that.
29 minutes ago ·

I understand the point you're trying to get across - but it's not JUST about the MN kids who leave to go to Wisconsin. Maybe they haven't gotten any MN kids we wanted in the last couple years - but they could in the future if they become a top program nationally. Another point - maybe there's a really good prospect in Wisconsin who would come here to play if the Badgers slide down the next couple years. Maybe both teams are recruiting a kid from Iowa, or Illinois, or Europe! In any scenario we want to be AHEAD of the Badgers. It's not about the past - it's about getting to be the top team in the Big Ten -and having your competitors perform well does not help you accomplish that objective. Does McDonalds want Burger King to do well? They are both in the fast food business.

I'd buy an RPI and SOS discussion before I buy the argument of "they haven't recently stolen recruits so it doesn't matter if they win or not." Still to me - I'd rather have the B10 competition fail so that the Gophers can rise in stature over a few percentage points of RPI.

Yay Cornell!:clap::clap::clap:

After the Gophers are out of the picture, I generally cheer for the Big Ten teams except I never, never, never cheer for Wisconsin or Iowa. Why? Because I have been to too may games in Williams Arena and the Metrodome where fans from Wisconsin or Iowa treat it like a home game.

Most Of The Crowd In Bradley Center Was For Cornell

Every time they announced the Cornell/Wisky score, the crowd mostly cheered.

Every time they announced the Cornell/Wisky score, the crowd mostly cheered.

That's odd - it's the complete opposite of how they cheered for the Wofford game 2 days ago. There were so many people sporting WI clothing, and tons of their fans there, odd that the majority of them didn't attend the games today...with the games being in WI.

That's odd - it's the complete opposite of how they cheered for the Wofford game 2 days ago. There were so many people sporting WI clothing, and tons of their fans there, odd that the majority of them didn't attend the games today...with the games being in WI.

Lotsa Wisky shirts & hats today also. But great majority of crowd was X, Pitt, Ohio St, or Ga Tech fans with a few Marquetters sprinkled in.

They only thing that would have made me happier than Cornell beating Wisconsin 87-69 is if they would have won 88-69.

Top Bottom