Who are the "Cagers"?

Cagers is an old-fashioned term for basketball players; from back when they had fans literally line the court, up to the out of bounds line.

The original rules of basketball didn't have a rule regarding balls that went out of bounds, so the first person to grab it and possess it once it went out of bounds maintained possession.

This obviously created some pretty raucous jostling in and around the fans watching the game with players piling into the crowd to get the ball, so a fence was eventually erected to protect the fans (until they changed the rules regarding a ball that goes out of bounds, and thus they no longer needed the fence).

When the players were playing inside of the fence, they looked like they were playing inside of a cage; hence the term "cagers."

Cagers: Basketball players
Thinclads: track team
grapplers: Wrestlers
etc.
etc.

Cagers is an old-fashioned term for basketball players; from back when they had fans literally line the court, up to the out of bounds line.

The original rules of basketball didn't have a rule regarding balls that went out of bounds, so the first person to grab it and possess it once it went out of bounds maintained possession.

This obviously created some pretty raucous jostling in and around the fans watching the game with players piling into the crowd to get the ball, so a fence was eventually erected to protect the fans (until they changed the rules regarding a ball that goes out of bounds, and thus they no longer needed the fence).

When the players were playing inside of the fence, they looked like they were playing inside of a cage; hence the term "cagers."[/]

Wow. Okay. I've been playing basketball since I was 5, and I didn't know that. Obviously my James Naismith-like history is not up to speed.

The discription of "Cagers" is exactly right. Back in my day we played with a cage around the floor to keep the ball in play and keep the players safe. So, our Cagers (aka Gophers) are Nationally Ranked, because these guys play like they are caged...animals and all. The Barn is a Cage in its own. Go Gophers!!!

Love the name Cagers (now that I understand its origins).

Love the name Cagers (now that I understand its origins).

remember, Juicer: You are never too old or too young to learn something from us Old Farts. All ya need to do is ask, and if, just if, in our senile minds, we can help you, we will. $hit, where is my beer again? Oh never mind, I found it.

I am pretty sure the "Cage" shown here in Williams is more for a protection from the raised floor since it is from the 50's according the U's archive, but I love this picture.

ua400202.jpg

remember, Juicer: You are never too old or too young to learn something from us Old Farts. All ya need to do is ask, and if, just if, in our senile minds, we can help you, we will. $hit, where is my beer again? Oh never mind, I found it.

Thanks Doc. My youth is a curse, on this forum and in the workplace :)

I am pretty sure the "Cage" shown here in Williams is more for a protection from the raised floor since it is from the 50's according the U's archive, but I love this picture.

ua400202.jpg

Way back when, every floor had a cage like that, I just can't find any pictures from the way back days of Station 19 and me. BTW, I remember when the lane was narrow like in this pic, and also remember when the rules widened the lane to its current. That rule change was compliments of George Mikan's dominance. (Google George Mikan for more info.)

Way back when, every floor had a cage like that, I just can't find any pictures from the way back days of Station 19 and me. BTW, I remember when the lane was narrow like in this pic, and also remember when the rules widened the lane to its current. That rule change was compliments of George Mikan's dominance. (Google George Mikan for more info.)

What were the cages made out of, by the way - were they hard or soft? Either way, in today's fast game it seems potentially dangerous.

Did they play games in Williams with the cages around them? If so, the vision from the fans onto the court must have been really hampered, considering some of the bad sight lines that exist in the current version of Williams Arena.

Sight Lines, Shmight Lines, Being at the Old Barn was an Experience in Itself!!!!! Until the State Fire Marshall stepped in, Williams Arena sat 18+ Thousand, with smoking allowed in the hallways but not in the Arena proper. When the U updated The Barn to comply, seating was reduced to about 16 Thou or a little less. Gotta admit, it was much louder and more intimidating than it is now, due to the involvement of the student section and the band. Go Gophers!!! The Barn is YOURS!!!!!!!!!!

I found an interesting history about this on the website, http://hooptactics.com/Basketball_Basics_History

Sounds like fun...

Out of Bounds

In the beginning, boundaries were not defined. In most cases, they were just the walls. It was not until 1904 that boundaries became straight lines.
The original rule regarding out of bounds situations turned out to be disastrous. Ball possession was awarded to the first player to touch the ball
after it went out of bounds.
This led to pushing, shoving, elbowing, desperate dives, and total bedlam. It was even worse when the ball ended up in the balconies, with all players
making a mad dash to be first up the stairs which created log jams and fights.
Teams resorted to forming wedges to block the opponents from going up the stairs. Teams even tried to bypass the stairs by hoisting players up to the balcony
in an effort to be first to touch the ball first.

Picture.ashx

vintage_cage.jpg

Basketball at one time was referred to as the “Cage Game” and players’ “Cagers”. This was a result of wire mesh (chicken wire) or chain-link fencing
being hung around the entire court in an effort to make the game go faster by eliminating all the out of bounds delays.
However, in reality, it served more as
a barrier to protect the players and rowdy spectators from each other, as well as from the objects being thrown onto
the court. The wire cage actually resulted in additional
rough play with players body checking each other into the wire mesh as in
hockey. Players often received
cuts, bruises, and even incurred infections from the rusting wire mesh. Although, the use of cages were abandoned by 1933, the term "Cagers" is still used today.

In 1913, the out of bounds rule was changed to the current rule of the team causing or
touching the ball last when it goes out of bounds loses possession. This rule change
was a major impact in reducing the physical play that was common place in the early games.

jags 1998: Now that was an interesting read. Thank you!!!!!!

Top Bottom