White pleads not guilty

that is correct...

This is the fear of every 6-8 240 pound man shopping at MOA ... Being accosted by a 5-9 175 pound 40-something-year-old guy in a suit.

I am 5 foot seven and 140 pounds and let me tell you, when I go walking through the MOA folks step aside!

:):):)

Not much of an assault. It was a couple pushes and probably a defensive action to the guard accosting him and getting into his personal space. No report the guard was hurt at all. Not like aggressively slugging someone. And this is according to the guard's testimony. Fifth Degree push-that's all.

Fifth degree assault is the lowest of all assault charges. It is barely more serious that disorderly conduct (which includes urinating in public;)). In fact, many fifth-degree assault charges are bargained to disorderly conduct. I speculate that is what Royce's lawyer is working on. Usually a year of unsupervised probation and no community service. Obviously, no jail.

Not much of an assault. It was a couple pushes and probably a defensive action to the guard accosting him and getting into his personal space. No report the guard was hurt at all. Not like aggressively slugging someone. And this is according to the guard's testimony. Fifth Degree push-that's all.

"Accosting him and getting into his personal space", lol. When you're caught stealing something shall the security guards email you? You make it sound like he was minding his own business and floored the guard (twice) in self defense. Would you think it's aggressive if a 6'8" 240lb guy shoved your wife/mother/daughter to the ground.....twice?

I am in no way saying Royce is ready for the NBA...but has that ever stopped young players before? I'm sure he thinks he is, and some agent will agree with him.

This is from a Nov 6th blog post. It's one of the few ( if any ) comments that were from Royce's grandfather.

I talked briefly with Frank White, Royce’s grandfather during intermission Thursday. Expectedly, he is disappointed in his grandson, who reported was arrested for shoplifting and fifth-degree assault two weeks ago. The senior White used phrases such as “stupid stuff” and “hanging with the wrong guys” to describe the situation. We both agree that the young man is only 18 years old.

It is still unknown when both White and Bostick will be allowed to return: speculation has it that the suspensions may be lifted in time for the team’s ‘when they count’ games later this month. My opinion is that White should be sat down for the remainder of the year and not be red-shirted — this would be a strong message, a lesson to him that he must stay clean. Mr. White said that until a couple of weeks ago, his grandson had been doing his work in the classroom — but instead of hanging with teammates, he’s running with the wrong guys — the ones who don’t have as much to lose as Royce, White believes.

I don't think it has much to do with this discussion but maybe gives more insight to what Royce was up to before this happened; which obviously, was no good.

This plea is clearly CYOA, in my opinion. Downplay the incident(s), create doubt that it's not that big of a deal, express remorse, yadda, yadda, yadda. His attorney will do whatever is humanly possible to get him on the court this season. Whether the U/Tubby obliges (I hope not) is another matter.

This plea is clearly CYOA, in my opinion. Downplay the incident(s), create doubt that it's not that big of a deal, express remorse, yadda, yadda, yadda. His attorney will do whatever is humanly possible to get him on the court this season.
That's generally how things work in the legal process.

It's always a CYOA. Also, it seems that there are a number of people think that although it's a big deal, it's not such a big deal that it warrants an expulsion from the U and our basketball team.

I honestly don't have an opinion either way; I can see both sides.

Top Bottom