White pleads not guilty

C

CaliforniaGopher

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/11/17/white-pleads-not-guilty-charges

White denies charges. Many posters said because Trevor denied chargers, he should be presumed innocent. Well same applies to Royce. He is presumed innocent. Because his charges are much less serious, I think there is at least some chance he may be allowed to play or practice with team as soon as they clear him in the laptop incident.

this is just craptastic

"Tyler said he will likely seek a plea bargain for White.

“Historically, in cases like this, you’re able to resolve them with some type of negotiations,” Tyler said.

This doesnt sound like "NOT Guilty" to me.

:p

Who cares if he makes a deal? Everyone makes a deal. We already know he won't be kicked off the team for this offense -- it's all riding on the laptop incident.

Shoplifting is like urinating in public -- embarrassing, but pretty common.

"""""urinating in public"""""

OMG, I never knew such a thing existed!

Royce's attorney has repeatedly said he would like to have this thing wrapped up by next week - Is it possible Royce travels with the team to Anaheim for the 76 Classic?

pretty common?

Who cares if he makes a deal? Everyone makes a deal. We already know he won't be kicked off the team for this offense -- it's all riding on the laptop incident.

Shoplifting is like urinating in public -- embarrassing, but pretty common.

Assaulting a security guard is what you call common? Jeebus.

Assaulting a security guard is what you call common? Jeebus.

Not much of an assault. It was a couple pushes and probably a defensive action to the guard accosting him and getting into his personal space. No report the guard was hurt at all. Not like aggressively slugging someone. And this is according to the guard's testimony. Fifth Degree push-that's all.

I'm still thinking that Tubby and the staff feel like putting Royce on the shelf for the year. They will try their best to help Royce understand that being a stud basketball player at the U doesn't allow you to be above the law and above reasonable behavior.... He (imo) is worth trying to 'save' .... Other coaches (John Anderson for example) at the U have done the same with players that needed help. Fingers crossed.

LOL

In your version of reality Royce was being accosted by this security guard who had the gall to invade Royce's space ( where the stolen jeans were I guess.).

too darn funny.

this is just a guess, but if the security guys was plain clothes and just ran up and grabbed royce, then royce pushes him off without knowing he is a guard. not saying thats what happened but a possible scenario.

hmmmmm

this is just a guess, but if the security guys was plain clothes and just ran up and grabbed royce, then royce pushes him off without knowing he is a guard. not saying thats what happened but a possible scenario.

Royce did know at the time of the physical altercation that he had just stolen some jeans, didn't he? Did he think he was the victim of some random crime or would he have thought he was being chased down by the man?

I have to say the willingness of some folks to "spin" these events in order to have him play is probably how Royce got in this position to begin with.

I hope you are related to Royce because if you are just a fan - step away step away.

Guilty or not - to me he hasn't earned the right to be back on the team.

I hope you are related to Royce because if you are just a fan - step away step away.

Guilty or not - to me he hasn't earned the right to be back on the team.

Do you agree with the thought of trying to help him understand his mistakes (and demonstrate that he has learned from it) and to let him come back next year?

Not much of an assault. It was a couple pushes and probably a defensive action to the guard accosting him and getting into his personal space. No report the guard was hurt at all. Not like aggressively slugging someone.

I don't agree with the crowd that wants to rush to judgement in the opposite side but this is getting pretty silly.

Both of you are now essentially concluding that White committed a misdemeanor but that there are "extenuating circumstances" -- without having been there or actually reading the guards' reports.

I still suspect that Tyler is angling to get the prosecutor to continue the case for a year and then dismiss charges if White doesn't commit another offense. The laptop suspicions probably have to be resolved before the prosecutor agrees.

If that's the way it falls, Tubby could essentially make the same decision by red-shirting him. But if he decided to reinstate White, it wouldn't be a problem in my mind as long as there's some assurance that White understands he's on the precipice.

Do you agree with the thought of trying to help him understand his mistakes (and demonstrate that he has learned from it) and to let him come back next year?

Absolutely - redshirt him, let him get his head straight and then come back next year if he's cleared of all charges.

I think he's one of those kids who has been fed nothing but "you're the greatest player EVER" and he hasn't learned how to be an adult.

If Tubby does decide to let him back on the team - I think the entire team should have a vote and it should be unanimous as to whether or not he comes back this year.

Not a good thing. Let it play out as it may. No point making up versions of the incident, or potential paths of action for Tubby. Waste of time and rumor mongering at worst..

If Tubby does decide to let him back on the team - I think the entire team should have a vote and it should be unanimous as to whether or not he comes back this year.

Can't buy that last part. This is a disciplinary matter. It's not a democracy. The coach makes the decision on all things disciplinary, or the inmates begin to rule.

That doesn't mean the coach shouldn't ask for input, especially from the team captains.

"Tyler said he will likely seek a plea bargain for White.

“Historically, in cases like this, you’re able to resolve them with some type of negotiations,” Tyler said.

This doesnt sound like "NOT Guilty" to me.

:p

Try not to read too much into it. Seeking a plea deal could be him wanting to get on with his life if they're willing to let him off with a trivial charge, fine and maybe some community service. Trials can take a long, long time. There are months of downtime in there. Do you think White really wants to spend several months to a year away from basketball if he can get it over with?

If you believe Royce should be benched for the year, that's fine. I disagree with you, but it's still a valid opinion. But don't fool yourself with talk of 'next year.' If Royce isn't allowed to play, do you really think he'll stay in school? He's in the draft next year regardless, why would he want to keep going to classes?

I'm sure if Brandon Jennings can play a year in Europe that someone would give Royce a shot.

"I have to say the willingness of some folks to "spin" these events in order to have him play is probably how Royce got in this position to begin with."

Best point made in the entire thread.

The fact that shoplifting is common does not make it right. Sadly, polls show that a majority of young people see nothing wrong with cheating. Perhaps shoplifting would elicit a similar majority opinion.

I heard some crazy stories about Royce through the grapevine since my cousin lived in the dorms where the theft happened but unfortunately I cannot tell anyone on the board because no one would believe me anyways even if I did. All I have to say is, they may not be able to prove what he did but if he doesn't get his act together he will be gone.

If you believe Royce should be benched for the year, that's fine. I disagree with you, but it's still a valid opinion. But don't fool yourself with talk of 'next year.' If Royce isn't allowed to play, do you really think he'll stay in school? He's in the draft next year regardless, why would he want to keep going to classes?

royce is good, but he's in no way ready to be an nba power forward.

Royce did know at the time of the physical altercation that he had just stolen some jeans, didn't he? Did he think he was the victim of some random crime or would he have thought he was being chased down by the man?

I have to say the willingness of some folks to "spin" these events in order to have him play is probably how Royce got in this position to begin with.
This is the fear of every 6-8 240 pound man shopping at MOA ... Being accosted by a 5-9 175 pound 40-something-year-old guy in a suit.

Top Bottom