Which QB Would You Choose?

As soon as it happened I sat down and was saying "we scored too fast" with my head in my hands. Everyone around me was going nuts but not me.

Mrs. Billd was completely flummoxed by my reaction. She came to understand my dismay the hard way.
My reaction immediately. Glen Masons also.

I cheered and then reality came back quickly. Those around us were all saying the same thing...."did we just score too fast?"
Not unlike a certain bowl game where the Gophers were up 35-7 at the half. Watching at home my buddy and me were saying that was not enough points. Again, Mrs. Billd did not understand...

Memory lane today obviously...

Not unlike a certain bowl game where the Gophers were up 35-7 at the half. Watching at home my buddy and me were saying that was not enough points. Again, Mrs. Billd did not understand...

Memory lane today obviously...
Texas Tech?

tenor.gif

Mitch all the way due to toughness and leadership. Cupito next then Weber.

Weber with Bateman, Tyler Johnson, and CAB intrigues me, I feel like Weber can stretch the field vertically better then Tanner Morgan. He also never had the run game and O line Morgan has.

Weber with Bateman, Tyler Johnson, and CAB intrigues me, I feel like Weber can stretch the field vertically better then Tanner Morgan. He also never had the run game and O line Morgan has.
Weber could run too, so there would be that threat that the defense would have to account for.

I think Weber, then Cupito, and then Morgan. But, we are forgetting one big important thing. Which Defense are we going to have?

Certainly not Mason's Defense on his last game. It's a crying shame they did not give Mason enough money to elevate his Defense.

Okay, I get to call the plays, design the offense and recruit Decker, Bateman and Tyler Johnson
with a nice offensive line and Mo and Cobb running, and Rodney Smith catching passes out of the backfield.
I'm going Leidner #1.
People talk how Weber got screwed by diff OC's. True. I just didn't like his decisions and his way off target passes in crucial situations.
Did Mitch have worse offensive coaching than anyone else? Did he have less available weapons (very poor receivers most all the time) more often than anybody?
Think Mitch in the Central Michigan Bowl game. (MVP) He may have had two incomplete passes for the game and they were drops. That Mitch was spectacular. It was in there. Mitch played hurt, a lot. Mitch won a lot! Mitch is my leader!
Tanner was great in 2019 but I saw 2020.
I agree Asad was dangerous...don't remember enough to evaluate.
And Cupito, nice passer but also not memorable to me.
Mitch, Marqueis, Asad, Tanner and someone other than Weber for me.

According to the rules of the OP, if I can design any system, then just for fun, I would go with a triple-option veer offense with Leidner.

IMHO, Leidner was tough, a solid runner and threw a decent deep ball. He just was not a drop-back passer, and did not throw well on intermediate routes.

So, put him in a triple option where he can run, pitch, or pull up and chuck it deep. I am a big fan of triple-option football when it is run correctly.

If I have to run a pro-style offense or the Gophers' RPO variety, then I might take Weber over Morgan.
just personal preference.

Okay, I get to call the plays, design the offense and recruit Decker, Bateman and Tyler Johnson
with a nice offensive line and Mo and Cobb running, and Rodney Smith catching passes out of the backfield.
I'm going Leidner #1.
People talk how Weber got screwed by diff OC's. True. I just didn't like his decisions and his way off target passes in crucial situations.
Did Mitch have worse offensive coaching than anyone else? Did he have less available weapons (very poor receivers most all the time) more often than anybody?
Think Mitch in the Central Michigan Bowl game. (MVP) He may have had two incomplete passes for the game and they were drops. That Mitch was spectacular. It was in there. Mitch played hurt, a lot. Mitch won a lot! Mitch is my leader!
I agree Asad was dangerous...don't remember enough to evaluate.
And Cupito, nice passer but also not memorable to me.
Mitch, Marqueis, Asad, Tanner and someone other than Weber for me.
Not sure I’d call any Leidner performance spectacular. He led the gopher offense to two touchdowns against CMU, you call that spectacular?? Also I’m tired of hearing how awful Morgan was last year, he still had a better QB rating than Leidner ever did. Morgan had a bad year by his 2019 standards, but he was pretty average in 2020, he wasn’t terrible.

Asad (AAK) had a cannon of an arm and was pretty cool under pressure for the most part.

Cupito was not quite as calm, not as quick footed, tough or strong armed, but he did generally get the job done. The Defense let them both down.

If you look at some of the old game videos out there AAK could throw the ball 60 yards off the wrong foot.

He was not as good when he got beat up at times, but he could evade the rush and run., and he was pretty tough. He is probably #2 for me, but based on his great decision making and long ball accuracy Morgan is #1 by a lot.

Morgan is #1 or me and AAK #2.

#3 and below would all be toss ups. Adam W in the Mason offense probably would have had explosive yards per attempt and rushing numbers but we will never know, since he played in the dink and dunk era of Dunbar and Brewster.

Not sure I’d call any Leidner performance spectacular. He led the gopher offense to two touchdowns against CMU, you call that spectacular?? Also I’m tired of hearing how awful Morgan was last year, he still had a better QB rating than Leidner ever did. Morgan had a bad year by his 2019 standards, but he was pretty average in 2020, he wasn’t terrible.

Yeah, the horrible 2020 narrative is getting old in relation to Morgan. He definitely took a step back from his off the charts 2019 season but it is not like he was horrible last year. Especially when you compare him against the level of QB play we have had around here historically.

I mean the way some people tell it you would think Morgan dipped to Demry Croft levels in 2020.

Yeah, the horrible 2020 narrative is getting old in relation to Morgan. He definitely took a step back from his off the charts 2019 season but it is not like he was horrible last year. Especially when you compare him against the level of QB play we have had around here historically.

I mean the way some people tell it you would think Morgan dipped to Demry Croft levels in 2020.

Oh man I remember the calls for Demry to play ...

Then he transferred and there was talk about a conflict with the coaching staff here and then ... things got really bad off the field for Demry...

Oh man I remember the calls for Demry to play ...

Then he transferred and there was talk about a conflict with the coaching staff here and then ... things got really bad off the field for Demry...
Demry is the only QB whose accuracy was so bad that he got called for intentional grounding even when he was just trying to throw a normal pass. Refs thought it was grounding....gopher fans knew it wasn't...

Demry is the only QB whose accuracy was so bad that he got called for intentional grounding even when he was just trying to throw a normal pass. Refs thought it was grounding....gopher fans knew it wasn't...

And then when he left we had the "We have no quarterbacks!" ... and then we found we had Zack and Morgan .... rags to riches.

And then when he left we had the "We have no quarterbacks!" ... and then we found we had Zack and Morgan .... rags to riches.

I think we were at the "we have no quarterbacks" point well before Croft left. I mean things were so bleak at the QB position in 2017 that Fleck had to convince Connor Rhoda to come back.....Connor Rhoda who was ready to start life after football was seen as our best option at QB that year.

According to the rules of the OP, if I can design any system, then just for fun, I would go with a triple-option veer offense with Leidner.

IMHO, Leidner was tough, a solid runner and threw a decent deep ball. He just was not a drop-back passer, and did not throw well on intermediate routes.

So, put him in a triple option where he can run, pitch, or pull up and chuck it deep. I am a big fan of triple-option football when it is run correctly.

If I have to run a pro-style offense or the Gophers' RPO variety, then I might take Weber over Morgan.
just personal preference.
I dunno if a big grinding Qb is who you want running your veer. Usually you want a smaller and more shifty guy so Mitch is going to take some heavy punishment as he ain’t getting out of the way

We all did... I have a feeling that tOSU is going help reveal the real Tanner Morgan for us. It'll be interesting to see, that's for sure.

Top Bottom