Where's Kevin Whaley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draftnik2

Reaction score
http://hamptonroads.com/2010/04/wheres-kevin-whaley

Where's Kevin Whaley?
Kevin Whaley, the former Salem High School football star, apparently hasn't stuck at a new school since leaving the University of Minnesota early this year.

Whaley's short stint at Tennessee-Martin is over. On Thursday, Ryne Rickman, an athletic communications assistant at UT-M, told me Whaley had indeed worked out with the team for a few weeks, but he has since left and not returned: "No word on his whereabouts."

Whaley, a running back who left Salem as South Hampton Roads' all-time leading rusher, was released from his scholarship in Minnesota after being arrested and charged with assault outside a nightclub. That incident - on New Year's Day after the Gophers played in the Insight Bowl game in Scottsdale, Ariz. - led to Whaley's suspension and ultimately his departure. Minnesota officials said Whaley planned to transfer.

Whaley became the area's all-time leading rusher and scorer while at Salem in Virginia Beach from 2004-07.

As a redshirt freshman last season, Whaley was Minnesota's second-leading rusher. He sat out his first year at Minnesota while recovering from a gunshot wound he suffered in Virginia Beach.

Funny, there were a lot of people on here who said he was a good kid and the shooting was just him in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Funny, there were a lot of people on here who said he was a good kid and the shooting was just him in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I seriously doubt that any gopher basketball or football athlete who commits a crime, unless caught on videotape red-handed like Royce White, will ever be believed by anyone on this board.

People with zero knowledge of the situation were making judgements on a kid they've never met and know nothing about except that he's from a bad area. Since the facts are that he was hit by a stray bullet, I think it's fair to say he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

People with zero knowledge of the situation were making judgements on a kid they've never met and know nothing about except that he's from a bad area. Since the facts are that he was hit by a stray bullet, I think it's fair to say he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think its fair to say that the kid has some serious problems after being arrested twice and getting tazered by the police on one of those occassions.

I think its fair to say that the kid has some serious problems after being arrested twice and getting tazered by the police on one of those occassions.

NOW it's fair to say that. I'm commenting on people judging the kid before he stepped foot on campus. Just because they were proven right doesn't make what they did right.

NOW it's fair to say that. I'm commenting on people judging the kid before he stepped foot on campus. Just because they were proven right doesn't make what they did right.

Hmmm. So when does it become right, when it finally happens in your own backyard? After two times, three times? I am not sure I follow that logic.

Hmmm. So when does it become right, when it finally happens in your own backyard? After two times, three times? I am not sure I follow that logic.

Assuming a kid is a bad apple because he got hit by a stray bullet is wrong. Calling a kid a bad apple because he consistently was provoking/getting into fights and was suspended from the team is fair. What is confusing to you?

There are always exceptions to the rule but I guess I was basing my opinion on the fact that a high school kid was hanging around a nightclub area at 2 AM. Maybe it was my upbringing but there was no way in hell I would have been allowed to be hanging out in downtown Mpls at 2 AM as a high school kid. To me it raises red flags. If he does that while staying at home what will he be like when he is out on his own at college?

My $0.02.

I seriously doubt that any gopher basketball or football athlete who commits a crime, unless caught on videotape red-handed like Royce White, will ever be believed by anyone on this board.

You must not spend a ton of time on the Gopher Bball board then. There were definitely Royce supporters (talking about the computer incident now), but I would say there were more posters who absolutely didn't support Royce and were good with Tubby tossing him. I also remember a lot of debates on the Mbakwe situation where a good share of posters weren't defending him.

Whaley........

Reminds me of the former RB from Ohio State, Maurice Clarrett. Will probably end up in prison too.

The kid just could not stay out of trouble.

Reminds me of the former RB from Ohio State, Maurice Clarrett. Will probably end up in prison too.

The kid just could not stay out of trouble.

Spot on except the fact that Clarrett was a great player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom