Where would Tanner be if Sanford was never here?

Where would Tanner be with KC the whole time?

• Backing up Kirk Cousins after setting all Gopher passing records.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Finishing his sixth year icing the top of his Gopher records.

Votes: 38 46.3%
  • Right where he is now.

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • Would have been gone after a successful 2020 in the pros.

Votes: 14 17.1%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
Just a question as I see 2019 Tanner back very quickly with a great OC back on the team.

If KC had never left, where do you think Tanner would be?

if Sanford WERE never here.
The subjunctive requires a plural verb.

Anthony Herron has Tanner Morgan in his Top 5 Impact QBs in B1G:

Maybe he would be starting for the Bucs now.

Butterfly effect

After a locker room discussion with Tanner full of Fleckisms, power of positive thinking motivational power chords Tom rethinks his life, decides to smooth things over at home, work on relationships with his kids and focus on a fulfilling life after football building personal relationships. Cut to Tom standing at the aft of his yacht where he throws his Super Bowl rings into the ocean and gives just a hint of a smile, small nod then walks back into the stateroom.

Still here, he just doesn't have the arm strength to be a starting qb in the NFL. But I think his 2020 and 2021 seasons would have been much better and we would have a West Division title if KC never leaves

Tanner would have played last year, his 5th year, and would be currently bouncing between practice squads/active rosters.

2020 would have been 2020... impossible to predict
2021 would have been similar to 2019 production out of Tanner... stats might not be similar but the efficiency would be.

Yall are crazy if you think Tanners an NFL guy

If we’re talking about NFL QBs there have been plenty of “weak”-armed QBs. What is the baseline necessary deep range, 60 yards? Can Morgan throw it 60 yards? I’d say yes. Beyond that accuracy, anticipation, release, mobility, and bus factor/height.

A cannon is not necessary for success, but maybe anticipation and accuracy are, flight time on deep outs versus elite DBs, etc. Mobility for shorter QBs? The ball has to be out of the throwing hand within what, about 2-3 seconds to avoid getting sacked or pressured. Does it matter if a QB can throw it 80 yards when it’s rare to have the time to connect with a receiver going that deep.

In summary, I wouldn’t say it’s impossible for Morgan to at least get a look. I recall a guy named Kellen Moore was probably even more limp-armed and played in the NFL because he did everything else pretty well. Who are some other weak-armed QBs.

Yall are crazy if you think Tanners an NFL guy
Isn't he PFF's #1 rated college QB right now?

I don't think it's crazy. He's got good anticipation. He wouldn't be the first NFL draft pick QB to struggle in Sanford's offense. Jordan Love was godawful under Sanford and went in the first round.

The more important question is, where would the Gophers be if Sanford was never here?

Possibly in the Big Ten Title game last year.

I feel he’s got that journeyman QB you can trust vibe. Can stick around in the league for a long time if you can do it successfully.

You're right he probably wouldn't have even started the the 2009 Wayzata team
Their QB was just a good HS player but there are plenty of examples in state of teams he would not have started at QB. LN in ‘11 when Trey Heid was a senior I’ll throw that one out there for one. Plenty others.

It’s crazy how much hate Morgan garners even in light of starting on a Big Ten team for four years despite competition from other recruits and the transfer portal and producing the single best statistical season in team history but I suppose the quarterback is a lightning rod whether the perceived and real problems are their fault or the blame lies elsewhere, or maybe in truth a combination of factors. Maybe we can all agree to see how the season plays out and reassess.

It’s crazy how much hate Morgan garners even in light of starting on a Big Ten team for four years despite competition from other recruits and the transfer portal and producing the single best statistical season in team history but I suppose the quarterback is a lightning rod whether the perceived and real problems are their fault or the blame lies elsewhere, or maybe in truth a combination of factors. Maybe we can all agree to see how the season plays out and reassess.
Right, what happens if MN has a special season and Morgan leads the team to championship game and Rose Bowl win? Don't you think there would be NFL buzz at the very least?

If we’re talking about NFL QBs there have been plenty of “weak”-armed QBs. What is the baseline necessary deep range, 60 yards? Can Morgan throw it 60 yards? I’d say yes. Beyond that accuracy, anticipation, release, mobility, and bus factor/height.

A cannon is not necessary for success, but maybe anticipation and accuracy are, flight time on deep outs versus elite DBs, etc. Mobility for shorter QBs? The ball has to be out of the throwing hand within what, about 2-3 seconds to avoid getting sacked or pressured. Does it matter if a QB can throw it 80 yards when it’s rare to have the time to connect with a receiver going that deep.

In summary, I wouldn’t say it’s impossible for Morgan to at least get a look. I recall a guy named Kellen Moore was probably even more limp-armed and played in the NFL because he did everything else pretty well. Who are some other weak-armed QBs.
I'm not a football scout and I don't play one on television, but my amateur assessment on Morgan sees his release as more of a problem than his arm strength. I think his arm is fine (although it would be below average by NFL standards). He just seems to throw slightly behind guys on short patterns quite a bit. Maybe it's a combination of arm strength and release, but his ability on long passes leads me to believe it has more to do with his release.

As Pompous Elitist wrote, I can't understand some folks' reaction to Morgan. He's been more than solid for us on the field and he seems like a great kid.

I'm not a football scout and I don't play one on television, but my amateur assessment on Morgan sees his release as more of a problem than his arm strength. I think his arm is fine (although it would be below average by NFL standards). He just seems to throw slightly behind guys on short patterns quite a bit. Maybe it's a combination of arm strength and release, but his ability on long passes leads me to believe it has more to do with his release.

As Pompous Elitist wrote, I can't understand some folks' reaction to Morgan. He's been more than solid for us on the field and he seems like a great kid.

Ha, yeah well even scouts and coaches don’t agree on player assessments. Sometimes it feels like QB draft picks are as much to generate some fan excitement and engagement rather than a belief a player actually has a chance to succeed in the NFL. I suppose maybe they can talk themselves into believing someone can succeed just like we do with recruits 😂.

Top Bottom