Where Kill thinks the state of Gopher football is at

Statements like that are always great, you can reduce the complications of achieving excellence to simply other people not being motivated enough. In reality, almost all of the past failed Gopher staffs were made up of people who work harder than a very high percentage of the people on this board. "Let's just demand excellence", an intellectual breakthrough no one has thought of until now. We have been crappy for 50 years, and it all was avoidable just by demanding excellence. What is the great motivating factor making the demands effective?
Short of the old fashioned Roman technique of "decimation", (killing every 10th soldier after a loss), I can't think of too much that has not been tried other than investing in the program the way schools that want to win invest in their teams.
Our demanding excellence does not solve any problems, but Coach Kill demanding excellence in ways not seen here since Holtz can make a difference. (My view is that Kill is Holtz wihout the bombast, and maybe some of the offensive wizardry, and a lot more loyalty). What he needs is support, not assinine demands that no one enforce.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

I think the WW2 analogy is oversimplified, and in some ways comparing apples to oranges. Demanding excellence is one thing. Achieving it is another. To refer to another military analogy, it took President Lincoln 3 years to find a general who could beat R.E. Lee. Most of Grant's predecessors were Brewsteresque. All talk and bluster, but they fell apart on gameday.

Your comparison of Kill to Holtz is interesting. You left out one key difference, though. Kill has a moral compass. Or as Lou would say, "Ethicssssshhh".

Kill's best move is to lower expectations as much as possible. It's the anti Brewster move. Now if Kill goes to a bowl game his first year he looks like a genius even if his team was never that bad to begin with.

Those of you that don't buy it, get it, or continue to drone on and on and really, truly desire disaster need to move on or get out of Gopher Fandom. Your "realistic" slant has absolutely no more basis, fact, or in any way shines any more light on what may or may not be. All it does is reinforce the stereotypical passive-agressive Minnesota.

It's sickening. Save your negativity for that 7th loss of the season. Up until then, all bets are off. I'm looking forward to Spring Practice, the Spring Game, Fall Camp, and the upcoming season. A bunch of you are looking for a car crash.

I'm taking a self-imposed break from this downer of a party. See you at Spring Practice, or the Spring game, or at USC. I'll be there. Will you still be sitting behind the keyboard, using that great Minnesota "support," hoping that the Gophers fail? Yuck.

That's what us engineers call the "Scotty principle"

Kill's best move is to lower expectations as much as possible. It's the anti Brewster move. Now if Kill goes to a bowl game his first year he looks like a genius even if his team was never that bad to begin with.

Every episode of Star Trek, the warp drive gets fugged up. Kirk radios down to the engine room saying "Scotty, we need to jump out of this system before either...

A)the star goes supernova
B)the entire Klingon fleet shows up
C)the green chick he did the nasty with before the credits shows up for more

Scotty replies with "The Dylithium crystals are fused, cap'n. I dinnae think I can fix it for 16 hours"

Then he gets it up and running in 4. Everyone thinks Scotty is a brilliant engineer. In reality he's a sandbaggin' mfer. All us engineers look up to the dude. I agree that Kill is taking the same approach.

You know, I think that Coach Kill is saying exactly what he is thinking....

and seeing about the current and present state of Golden Gopher Football. This is an absolute rebuild job. What the heck is wrong with that? I think that sounds like a pretty fair, honest and sincere evaluation of how we are, why we have been the way we have been and what the immediate future holds for us.

I don't care much about the non-conference games. The Gophers just very well could go 3-1 in the non-confrence portion of the schedule. Or maybe not quite that well. It's always hard to find much out in the ooc games. It will be the Big Ten portion of the schedule that will tell us exactly where this program deserves to be ranked in the Big Ten Conference. It will be the total number of Big Ten wins minus the total number of Big Ten losses that will show us where we are.

We are NOT like a military unit that has superior weapons and supply systems and all the advantages. In fact, our team in Big Ten play will be going up against bigger, faster, stronger, more experienced, more athletic teams with more big play capabilities and more shut-down defensive units.

I think Coach KIll realizes that very well. I don't think some of our fans "get that" at all. You would think they would have learned by now, but, I fear they have not.

Forget about the WWII talk. Those big old battles where you have the chance to train hard and go in and win it all just don't seem to happen any more. It's hit and run...here and there...win by hanging on and keeping the battle going one year...three years...ten years. All this talk about giving 'em 6 months and then invading Ohio Stadium or the Big House or even Camp in badger joel maturi land and taking it to them on their own turf...taking no prisoners...just doesn't cut it for the first year of The Kill Tenure here at Minnesota...maybe even longer. Even defending the home turf against some teams is going to be hard in 2011.

The old "basic training" analogy just doesn't cut it when you look at modern era warfare. Even with far superior weapons, supply systems, training, etc. you just don't go out and kick butt and take names and end it NOW. Why are the modern era "conflicts" usually not even called wars any more. WWII was a different animal than Korea...Viet Nam...Iraq...Afghanistan...and the next one and the one after that.

It's going to take us a LOT longer than 6 months of basic training to make a run for a Big Ten Title. It's going to take a while to "arrive" solidly in the middle to upper middle territory of the Big Ten, I fear. But, I like an honest coach who is truthful and actually does have a plan. It will certianly beat the past four seasons. Good luck Coach Kill. Some of us actually can take the truth and appreciate the truth. Just recruit character, teach them discipline, play sound, hard-nosed football and coach 'em up. Devise good game plans. Recruit players who actually do want to graduate and get a degree in addition to playing football and given some time, I think Gopher Football will be a good, solid brand of Big Ten Football that we can all be proud of and can enjoy cheering for.

But, 6 months of "basic training" just doesn't get the job done any longer. In fact, I don't think it ever did. Just look at the Murray Warmath history and the early years leading up to his NC. Wes Fessler left him a pretty darn good base, and he did well his first couple of years. Then it was TOUGH going...no 6 month basic stuff in 1958 and 1959. But, then there was a little piece of glory for a few years. IF the 6 months of basic was all there was to it...Murray would have won a lot more Big Ten Championships and Rose bowl games...and they never would have run him out of his job. Bierman either. This 6 month talk is just too much talk as far as I am concerned.

6 months is forever in football. We will know if we will need a replacement for Kill by the end of September of 2011. The rest of you can continue to believe what you want. I have set my standard for public display and ridicule. Let's see if this hypothesis is true or not. The winning % of Jerry Kill after the first 5 games will be within .10 of his career at Minnesota after 4 years, plus or minus. It doesn't matter that SC is on the schedule or East Chickasaw State.

6 months is forever in football. We will know if we will need a replacement for Kill by the end of September of 2011. The rest of you can continue to believe what you want. I have set my standard for public display and ridicule. Let's see if this hypothesis is true or not. The winning % of Jerry Kill after the first 5 games will be within .10 of his career at Minnesota after 4 years, plus or minus. It doesn't matter that SC is on the schedule or East Chickasaw State.

Why is this true for Kill when it has clearly been pointed out to you that that hasn't been the case for dozens of great coaches? John Wooden lost for years early on. Same for many other great coaches and that was before the sport became as complicated as it is today. I'm just wondering why you make the statement you make with evidence clearly pointing to it being wrong. Shoot it hasn't even been true for Kill. His teams struggled mightily his first year at SIU only to have great seasons later, clearly far off from being within .10 of his winning percentage there. I respect any opinion as long as its thought out and makes since but it seems like you're just making grand statements with absolutely nothing to back them up

Pure stupidity right there.

No, we won't know any such thing. 6 months is not "forever" in college football. A good September won't mean that Kill is going to be a legend, and a bad September will not mean he is a bust.

I am looking to 1984 as a template. The 1983 team was probably the worst in Gopher history. In 1984, Holtz's first year, we went 4-7 (3-6 BT) with a true freshman QB.

Good take....I hope you are correct. Certainly seems like a reasonable assumption.

Top Bottom