Where do the players come from?

It ain't rocket science. Look at the demographics in the US of where black people live and that's where the top players come from. i.e. The deep South, as well as the places they migrated to for a better life. See Southern California & the rust belt (Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania).

When Midwestern coaches talk about going South to find "speed", it's code for black guys.

Recruts

Very interesting. This guy really did his homework. Nice job.

It ain't rocket science. Look at the demographics in the US of where black people live and that's where the top players come from. i.e. The deep South, as well ass the places they migrated to for a better life. See Southern California & the rust belt (Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania).

When Midwestern coaches talk about going South to find "speed", it's code for black guys.

What are you hinting at?

It ain't rocket science. Look at the demographics in the US of where black people live and that's where the top players come from. i.e. The deep South, as well ass the places they migrated to for a better life. See Southern California & the rust belt (Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania).

Honolulu is the #1 city in per capita FBS recruits and Hawaii is the #1 state in per capita FBS recruits.

One way to test your hypothesis would be to cross reference the per-capita FBS recruiting list with the percentage of African Americans in that city.

Another way would be to compare Minneapolis itself with the Metro area as a whole. As Minneapolis has a higher African American population that the suburbs, if your hypothesis is correct, there should be a noticeable difference in the per capita FBS recruits from the city itself vs. the per capita FBS rate from the suburbs.

The low New York and Arizona numbers are surprising to me. Interesting to look at, thanks for sharing GG.

One way to test your hypothesis would be to cross reference the per-capita FBS recruiting list with the percentage of African Americans in that city.

(Metro areas)

1. Honolulu 2.35%
2. New Orleans 37.35%
3. Birmingham 73.46%
4. Dallas 13.88%
5. Miami 20.15%
6. Jacksonville 21.51%
7. Youngstown 44.35%
8. Baton Rouge 34.05%
9. Atlanta 31.22%
10. Lakeland, FL 21.26%
11. Dayton 14.44%
12. Memphis 43.52%
13. Tulsa 15.47%
14. Houston 24.32%
15. Bradenton, FL 15.11%
16. Cleveland 54.23%
17. Tampa 10.41%
18. Cincinnati 46.53%
19. Columbus 26.41%
20. Pittsburgh 27.12%
25. Oklahoma City 15.42%
30. Columbia 45.98%
35. Jackson, MS 70.61%
40. Provo 0.29%
45. Greenville, SC 17.01%
50. Los Angeles 9.91%
55. Detroit 22.77%
60. San Antonio 6.24%
65. Albuquerque 2.47%
70. San Jose 3.22%
75. Baltimore 63.81%
80. Philadelphia 43.82%
85. Stockton 11.22%
90. New York 15.81%
95. McAllen, TX 0.61%
100. Portland, ME 6.61%

There is certainly not a linear progression, but there is a strong correlation. Note how every city (outside of Honolulu) in the top 20 is at least double-digits, with most having much more than that. Meanwhile, most of the cities in the lower 50 are all low single-digit (with the exception of the huge metropolitan areas.) I think it would be evidenced even more had I done a full analysis, which I have neither the inclination nor time to do. Further, I think Honolulu can easily be explained by the fact that most Hawaiian recruits are linemen, so obviously speed does not come into play.

It is also worth noting that this is a full snapshot of all recruits. Were we to analyze strictly ATH/WR/RB/DB recruits, there is no doubt this would skew even more toward the areas more densely populated with blacks.

Do you have any idea how racist that is?

I no nothing about NYC so this may be ridiculous, but, do they play HS football there??

The reason I ask is that you would think the biggest city in the country would at least be a blip on the radar, no?

Do you have any idea how racist that is?

It's not racist. It's a fact.

Do you watch college football? Do you watch the NFL? Have you seen any track and field meets lately?

It's not racist. It's a fact.

Do you watch college football? Do you watch the NFL? Have you seen any track and field meets lately?
That's anecdotal. And even if there is an observable correlation it doesn't mean there's a genetic component at play, which is the implication. That assertion goes back to the old "slave genes" theory which is inherently racist.

I don't think it is racists either, but maybe he could have put African American to make it more politically correct. Am i racists if i say white people are slow?

I no nothing about NYC so this may be ridiculous, but, do they play HS football there??

The reason I ask is that you would think the biggest city in the country would at least be a blip on the radar, no?

I count around 51 teams that play high school football in NYC's Public Schools Athletic League. No idea how many private schools have football there. With the price of real estate in NYC, they must do a lot of sharing of football fields.

The word choice isn't really my issue.

what is then? that it is a fact that African Americans are on average a lot faster then white people? how is that racist?

what is then? that it is a fact that African Americans are on average a lot faster then white people? how is that racist?
What do you base that belief on? And if you believe that to be true what would you say the cause of that difference in athletic ability is?

That's anecdotal. And even if there is an observable correlation it doesn't mean there's a genetic component at play, which is the implication. That assertion goes back to the old "slave genes" theory which is inherently racist.

There's probably a lot more economics at play. If you see an athletic scholarship as the difference between going to college or not going to college at all, you're probably going to be a lot more motivated to be the best football player you can that would someone who believes he has more options.

You cant keep pulling the slave card, yes it happed, yes whites where the cause of it and yes they where in a sense selected for their attributes... but i am not talking about forever ago i am talking about right now, its 2010. and yes African Americans are on average faster, it may be because of slavery but that is not what i am implying....

There's probably a lot more economics at play. If you see an athletic scholarship as the difference between going to college or not going to college at all, you're probably going to be a lot more motivated to be the best football player you can that would someone who believes he has more options.
That is a much more sensible answer. I agree the real reasons have much more to do with economic and social factors. Any genetic differences are ultimately exceptionally minor over a population distribution of our country's size.

i am not racist at all i just hate it when things that happened a long time ago keep getting brought up like it happened yesterday...

Isn't it basically a question of genetics versus societal influences.

My guess it is part both. Without an exhaustive study of the subject why speculate.

My guess is that science and the study of DNA has progressed enough that the question could be answered and probably will be sometime in the future.

Top 20 Rushing Yards, 2009 NCAA D-IA

1 Ryan Mathews, Fresno St
2 Toby Gerhart, Stanford
3 Dion Lewis, Pittsburgh
4 Donald Buckram, UTEP
5 Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech
6 Anthony Dixon, Mississippi St
7 Curtis Steele, Memphis
8 Vai Taua, Nevada
9 LaMichael James, Oregon
10 Joe Webb, UAB
11 Mark Ingram, Alabama
12 John Clay, Wisconsin
13 Alfred Morris, Fla. Atlantic
14 Lance Dunbar, North Texas
15 Bernard Pierce, Temple
16 Darius Marshall, Marshall
17 Noel Devine, West Virginia
18 Montel Harris, Boston College
19 Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon St
20 Robert Turbin, Utah St

Top 20 Receiving Yards, 2009 NCAA D-IA
1 Danario Alexander, Missouri
2 Freddie Barnes, Bowling Green
3 Greg Salas, Hawaii
4 Golden Tate, Notre Dame
5 Jordan Shipley, Texas
6 Emmanuel Sanders, SMU
7 Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas
8 James Cleveland, Houston
9 Antonio Brown, Central Mich.
10 Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati
11 David Reed, Utah
12 Eric Page, Toledo
13 Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech
14 Tim Brown, Rutgers
15 Shay Hodge, Mississippi
16 Damaris Johnson, Tulsa
17 Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma
18 Jeremy Williams, Tulane
19 Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh
20 Jerrel Jernigan, Troy

Men's 100 Meter Dash Final, 2009 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field National Championships

1 Trindon Holliday LSU 10.00
2 Ahmad Rashad USC 10.10
3 Gerald Phiri Texas A&M 10.18
4 Terrell Wilks Florida 10.19
5 Rondel Sorrillo Kentucky 10.22
6 D'Angelo Cherry Miss State 10.22
7 Adam Harris Michigan 10.29
8 Reggie Dixon Hampton 10.38
9 Jacoby Ford Clemson 14.34

I mentioned 49 athletes above. Four of them are not black. Two of them are Caucasians.

Is that statistical enough for you, professor? Anecdotal my foot.

I don't know why, in general, blacks are faster than the rest of us. I don't know why the sky is blue. I don't know why water quenches my thirst. I'm not a scientist. It's not my job to know these things.

What I do know, however, is that they are all incontrovertible truths. I don't pretend to know why, but I just accept the fact that they are.

If you honestly think melanin count has anything to do with how athletic someone is then you are helplessly retarded and need to take some genetics and physiology classes immediately.

Maybe it's slavery meets Darwin, maybe God just made black people a little faster/more athletic, I don't know? I do know I've never heard a black guy take offense to the notion that blacks are generally more athletic.

If you honestly think melanin count has anything to do with how athletic someone is then you are helplessly retarded and need to take some genetics and physiology classes immediately.

this all must be just one big coincidence then...

Selection bias, dawg.

I've shown you plenty of statistics to prove my point.

Show me some to disprove my point.

Find me all these blazingly fast white guys. And while you're at it, find me enough so that they outnumber the black guys by an embarrassingly large factor.

Go ahead. I'm waiting.

Top Bottom