Where are we Heading

ncgo4

Reaction score
We've made a great move with our HC. We've made several stellar moves with assistants. We've had very good news with recruits. Most importantly our Admin has put the money where their mouths are.

What's next? Well first, we get through NSD. If we can add just 1 or 2 key additions to what is now a pretty good group we will move up in the class rankings. Then we'll see Fleck in the community to open the wallets of all of these Fortune 500 companies. I believe that this could be THE most amazing surprise of all. Hell he raised money in Kalamazoo, for gosh sake, whadda ya think he could do here? I really think our own version of Elmer Gantry could really bring around some very serious cash.

I also think he will do everything in his arsenal to fill our stadium for the Spring scrimmage. By all reports he's got a hell of an arsenal. If we could get, say, 40,000 fans in the stadium all hell could break loose. Especially for recruiting and donations. Next few months is going to be fun.

We've made a great move with our HC. We've made several stellar moves with assistants. We've had very good news with recruits. Most importantly our Admin has put the money where their mouths are.

What's next? Well first, we get through NSD. If we can add just 1 or 2 key additions to what is now a pretty good group we will move up in the class rankings. Then we'll see Fleck in the community to open the wallets of all of these Fortune 500 companies. I believe that this could be THE most amazing surprise of all. Hell he raised money in Kalamazoo, for gosh sake, whadda ya think he could do here? I really think our own version of Elmer Gantry could really bring around some very serious cash.

I also think he will do everything in his arsenal to fill our stadium for the Spring scrimmage. By all reports he's got a hell of an arsenal. If we could get, say, 40,000 fans in the stadium all hell could break loose. Especially for recruiting and donations. Next few months is going to be fun.

fill the stadium for a spring game? 40,000 for a spring game at minnesota?

we could barely get 30K for an actual big ten game. granted it was cold, but still.

we'll be lucky to have 15,000 there. i have no idea how lou holtz filled the dome for a spring game. props to him.

We made an exciting hire.

We can decide if it was a great one later...

40k for a spring game is kinda a bonkers standard. I'm still concerned with ticket sales for actual games. I'm sure it will be up, just not how much.

The weather will have more to do with the spring game attendance than anything else.

I am very interested to see how Fleck does in the ambassador/fundraiser role. He mentioned being visible in the community multiple times in his opening presser and he strikes me as the type that will be willing to go out promote the program. Not sure he can pull off the 40K at the spring game thing but I also won't be surprised to see them come up with some creative ways to get fans excited and hopefully wanting to go.

Sounds like a good barometer to measure the interest he's created over the winter.

1 Ohio State 100,189
2 Georgia 93,000
3 Alabama 76,212
4 Nebraska 72,992
5 Tennessee 67,027
6 Penn State 65,000
7 Clemson 50,000
8 Florida State 49,913
9 Florida 46,000
10 Auburn 45,723
11 Oklahoma 42,436
12 Michigan 35,000

The numbers for last spring
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ohio-state-spring-game-attendance-record-2016

There are some schools that have big Spring Game attendance numbers, but it drops off pretty quickly. The Gophers' Spring Game attendance isn't really that bad. I see that list has Air Force at #34 with 500 people. I know the Gophers had much better numbers than that, but the Gophers aren't on the list. The U must not have reported the numbers, which makes me wonder how many other schools didn't report their numbers. Still, I think we could have a better than usual attendance at the Spring Game this year.

40k for a spring game is kinda a bonkers standard. I'm still concerned with ticket sales for actual games. I'm sure it will be up, just not how much.

The weather will have more to do with the spring game attendance than anything else.

It would be nice to sit on the sunny side as well...

fill the stadium for a spring game? 40,000 for a spring game at minnesota?

we could barely get 30K for an actual big ten game. granted it was cold, but still.

we'll be lucky to have 15,000 there. i have no idea how lou holtz filled the dome for a spring game. props to him.

Gotta think outside the box. Make it about things other than football. Free concert to follow, etc...
Just need to generate excitement.

Gotta think outside the box. Make it about things other than football. Free concert to follow, etc...
Just need to generate excitement.

I feel like they should align it with Spring Jam (April 22) which is typically later than it usually is. Make it part of the festivities, like you said, free concert after. Allow students to tailgate in the close lots, watch the game, stay for the concert.

Make it a celebration of the arrival of Spring and nicer weather - Minnesotans are looking for an excuse to spend time outside once the weather breaks 55 and the average high for April 22 is 62 (compared to 52 earlier in the month).

In specific regards to the spring game it really depends on what the coaches philosophy in regards to it is. Some coaches want it to be a fun spectacle others just see it as another practice. Of course then there is the game at other places where tons of fans will show up no matter what the team does because they have nothing better to do.....

I believe Fleck will eventually fill TCF for the spring game and beyond. He has already said he wants a sell out for the spring game. I believe his first spring game will have a percentage of fill-up in direct proportion with first-year expectations and media projections for the team's potential to win the West, as we get closer to the game.

I heard one of the BTN guys state recently that we had a shot at the West because we graduated only 13 players. Of course that perception will change based on the fate of the 10 suspended players, who will step-up prior to the game QB wise, any additional transfers out beyond Moore and Winfield JR(it would not surprise me if Fleck get's Winfield JR to stay), how elite the recruiting class rounds out over the next 19 days, etc.

Look at what Fleck has done in one week. I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought about taking a class virtually at Alabama, and turning in my life time alumni association membership pre-Fleck :) It is unreal. When is the spring game; 3 or 4 months from now? I got a feeling if Fleck wants the stadium full, he will make it so.

I believe Fleck will eventually fill TCF for the spring game and beyond. He has already said he wants a sell out for the spring game. I believe his first spring game will have a percentage of fill-up in direct proportion with first-year expectations and media projections for the team's potential to win the West, as we get closer to the game.

I heard one of the BTN guys state recently that we had a shot at the West because we graduated only 13 players. Of course that perception will change based on the fate of the 10 suspended players, who will step-up prior to the game QB wise, any additional transfers out beyond Moore and Winfield JR(it would not surprise if Fleck get's Winfield JR to stay), how elite the recruiting class rounds out over the next 19 days, etc.

Look at what Fleck has done in one week. I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought about taking a class virtually at Alabama, and turning in my life time alumni association membership pre-Fleck :) It is unreal. When is the spring game; 3 or 4 months from now? I got a feeling if Fleck wants the stadium full, he will make it so.

I think you're getting ahead of the actual curve a bit.

I feel like they should align it with Spring Jam (April 22) which is typically later than it usually is. Make it part of the festivities, like you said, free concert after. Allow students to tailgate in the close lots, watch the game, stay for the concert.

Make it a celebration of the arrival of Spring and nicer weather - Minnesotans are looking for an excuse to spend time outside once the weather breaks 55 and the average high for April 22 is 62 (compared to 52 earlier in the month).

That makes way too much sense for the gestapo style overbearing U of M administration....

In specific regards to the spring game it really depends on what the coaches philosophy in regards to it is. Some coaches want it to be a fun spectacle others just see it as another practice. Of course then there is the game at other places where tons of fans will show up no matter what the team does because they have nothing better to do.....

I don't think Fleck looks at any moment as "just another" anything.

Maybe shoot for Spring game attendance to match an average WMU home game.

Wonder if Kaler shows up at the Spring game...will be fun if he does...just not for him.

Wonder if Kaler shows up at the Spring game...will be fun if he does...just not for him.

Do they even open the suites or club areas during the spring game?

Do they even open the suites or club areas during the spring game?

Nope, not for fans. Lower level south side only.

Maybe it will be for Kaler and Coyle so they don't have to mingle with us common folk...

Two yeas ago I was able to watch the Spring game from the sidelines.... roaming free.... Last Spring, a little better security.... I'm gonna miss the "close to the action" view this Spring.

Somebody brought this up in another thread, but at WMU, Fleck didn't have an actual "game" at the end of Spring practice.

Kaler and Coyle aren't despised outside of gopherhole like many here think. When Fleck mentioned their names at halftime of the OSU game I didn't hear any boos.

Nope, not for fans. Lower level south side only.

Maybe it will be for Kaler and Coyle so they don't have to mingle with us common folk...

Last year was the first time the had the sunny side closed off. A 35-degree day was the perfect time to try that. They can't be that stupid again, can they?

Never mind ...

Kaler and Coyle aren't despised outside of gopherhole like many here think. When Fleck mentioned their names at halftime of the OSU game I didn't hear any boos.

There's been media articles on their lack of leadership. Several BoR members have made unfavorable public comments. So there's that too...

I heard boos at the basketball game. And as someone who appreciated the boos, I didn't boo. I'm assuming there were others like me, though your point is well-taken.

Somebody brought this up in another thread, but at WMU, Fleck didn't have an actual "game" at the end of Spring practice.

Looks like you might be correct.

April 16, 2016

KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The Western Michigan football team held its annual Wooden Oar Spring Game on Saturday on a 70 degree sunny day in front of 2,950 people at Waldo Stadium. The Broncos featured about 90 plays in about an hour of real time action.
http://www.wmubroncos.com/news/2016/4/16/210894098.aspx

Where are we Heading

33264_03499_2015.JPG

Might come with the job, but plenty of people who work at the U have disliked Kaler for a long time.

Some of them were pretty surprised when I quit defending him.

And where are we heading? To a big time New Year's Bowl. Hopefully without Kaler, but the sooner the better.

I like making the Spring Game an event. Making it part of the Spring Jam sounds good. Another thing that might be worth considering is having a baseball or softball game after the Spring Game. Watch the Spring Game and then head over for some baseball. They've had baseball games at the same time as the Spring Game, and that's got to cut into baseball attendance. Or have the Spring game after the baseball game. Baseball at 11, football at 1:30. They could offer free admission to the spring game for people with a baseball ticket - I know admission to the Spring Game is free anyway.

I like making the Spring Game an event. Making it part of the Spring Jam sounds good. Another thing that might be worth considering is having a baseball or softball game after the Spring Game. Watch the Spring Game and then head over for some baseball. They've had baseball games at the same time as the Spring Game, and that's got to cut into baseball attendance. Or have the Spring game after the baseball game. Baseball at 11, football at 1:30. They could offer free admission to the spring game for people with a baseball ticket - I know admission to the Spring Game is free anyway.

Baseball playing all early home games at US Bank...

Top Bottom