When will Winfield Jr. declare?

One of the most telling quotes was from the announcers during the Outback bowl. They said "When you ask Winfield what is the football goal you want to accomplish? He says 'win the Super Bowl'."

He's got his heart set on making a mark in the big league. Can't blame him.

One intangible might be wanting to play another year with his brother. In the end, I think he does pro, and would do the same if I were in his position.

I saw Leatherwood, OL from Alabama who was projected to go 1st round, decided to stay another year citing unfinished business.

One of the most telling quotes was from the announcers during the Outback bowl. They said "When you ask Winfield what is the football goal you want to accomplish? He says 'win the Super Bowl'."

He's got his heart set on making a mark in the big league. Can't blame him.

one small edition to that quote that changes the context some. The question was what he wants to accomplish that his dad never did and to that he answered “win a super bowl”.

one small edition to that quote that changes the context some. The question was what he wants to accomplish that his dad never did and to that he answered “win a super bowl”.
Very true. My original point (which wasn't entirely clear) was that it wasn't related to collegiate accolades such as winning a national championship.

The only NFL related advantage to coming back might be to prove that he can go two full seasons without major injury, and that's probably outweighed by the risk of another injury that could derail the whole thing. Opting for the NFL seems to be the prudent decision.
I keep seeing this argument...but if he gets hurt his draft stick drops and he loses money. He isn’t coming back for a 6th year. He almost certainly won’t improve it if he stays.

If you're going to get taken in the first three rounds, then you should go. Love to have him stay, but I certainly don't blame him for entering the draft.

I am sure they'd do a draft eval of him if not already. It sounds like PJ Fleck is encouraging and guiding all of his players who are contemplating to leave for the NFL early to to make a wise decision based on good data and their circumstances.

It will pay big time for Tyler Johnson by staying for his final year.

I am sure they'd do a draft eval of him if not already. It sounds like PJ Fleck is encouraging and guiding all of his players who are contemplating to leave for the NFL early to to make a wise decision based on good data and their circumstances.

It will pay big time for Tyler Johnson by staying for his final year.

You are right, Johnson will make a lot more money because he stayed for one more year. However, he wasn't going to get drafted in the first three rounds last year, a place where Winfield Jr is expected to go this year. He really doesn't have a lot to gain by staying. He really should take the money and run. He was a delight to watch, but I have no problem with him leaving now. I wish him the absolute best in whatever he chooses.

I think his ceiling is the 2nd round just because of his height. They are going to compare him to Bob Sanders who was a 2nd round pick and Matthieu like said before. I would be shocked if he came back but it all comes down to what the NFL Draft Board is telling him. Guessing his dad is probably talking to people as well from his past. Im guessing he is 80- 20 between going and staying.
If anyone compares him to bob sanders they are an idiot.

Recent article on his Draft Stock.

Good read. If he truly ends up grading out in the first or second round it would be surprising to see him come back for another year of college. But until he makes it official will hold out hope that he makes the decision to spend one more year in Maroon and Gold.

In the end tough, will be happy for Winfield with whatever he decides. I am sure he will base his decision on good information and do what makes the most sense for him and his future.

Recent article on his Draft Stock.

Very good read. Even talking about a possibility of getting picked in the 1st round? Yeah, I love seeing guys stick around for 4-5 years, but if people are concerned about the injury thing or his size, then he needs to go when he's healthy and he's probably not going to get any faster?

If, for whatever reason, he chooses to stick around for one more year, I won't complain, but no way I would blame him if he didn't.

C'mon guys, it's pretty obvious what's going on here.

He's been assured that he will be drafted by the Vikings with their first round pick and signed to a lifetime contract, but that will have to be in 2021 because he wants to win a championship at some point in his life and knows his only remaining shot is to try to win one with the Gophers next year.

On the Bright side, Cephus just joined Taylor in announcing he is entering the draft. Depriving the Badgers their top wide Receiver.

Because...?
Cause the only thing they have in common is their size and you could say Winfield has a propensity to come down in the box and tackle well.

Bob was an elite tackler in the box and not nearly as good as Winfield in the air/coverage. They aren’t similar players stylistically other than both are good tacklers, with bob being much better.

Its a lazy comparison.

I think Eric Weddle is the best comp for AWJr, who as of today's rush of declarations is still a Gopher ?

Top Bottom