When will Winfield Jr. declare?

mjfelton15

Banned
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it’s normal for guys to declare already, or if a lot of players will wait until the final deadline, but it almost feels like Winfield Jr. must be weighing his options and that he might feel some tugging on his heart to stay...

just a thought

He’s got time. He’s probably consulting what to do. Sounds like a smart young man who takes his time making very tough decisions.

I’m not sure if it’s normal for guys to declare already, or if a lot of players will wait until the final deadline, but it almost feels like Winfield Jr. must be weighing his options and that he might feel some tugging on his heart to stay...

just a thought

A poster on another board asked Barber if he is going or coming back, and Barber said the decision has not been made yet. They are roommates. That makes me wonder if Winfield is going to try and gather input on where he would be drafted.

In what round do we all expect him to be taken?

In what round do we all expect him to be taken?

I’ve seen him mocked in the 2nd-3rd round range, with some projections showing a tad later. His injury history is an obvious detractor.

Since he’s already a consensus All-American, he doesn’t have much left to prove in the college ranks IMO.

I still don't get how honey badger Matthieu gets selected in the first round who is much smaller as a safety than Winfield and many have said Winfield is too small to play safety. I don't understand that.

Matthieu was a 3rd rounder. He also had an enormous amount of off the field baggage. He can thank Patrick Peterson for convincing the Cardinals to take a chance on him.

I’ve seen him mocked in the 2nd-3rd round range, with some projections showing a tad later. His injury history is an obvious detractor.

Since he’s already a consensus All-American, he doesn’t have much left to prove in the college ranks IMO.

Yeah, that's where I've seen him. He feels like he is one of those guys that GMs will talk themselves out of offering because of his size and regret it.

I think his ceiling is the 2nd round just because of his height. They are going to compare him to Bob Sanders who was a 2nd round pick and Matthieu like said before. I would be shocked if he came back but it all comes down to what the NFL Draft Board is telling him. Guessing his dad is probably talking to people as well from his past. Im guessing he is 80- 20 between going and staying.

Matthieu was a 3rd rounder. He also had an enormous amount of off the field baggage. He can thank Patrick Peterson for convincing the Cardinals to take a chance on him.
Thanks. Could have sworn he was a first but they have that new fangled thing called Google, will have to check that out more (insert pick of old man shaking fist at cloud). ?

As much as I would like to see him back next year, face it, this is an obvious got to go situation. He's been here 4 yrs, must already be relatively close to a degree, ended the season healthy.

Good luck to him, hope he winds up a Viking.

Clearly the decision is not obvious to him or he would already have declared. If he was 100% sure he was going there is no reason not to go ahead and declare. Right now NFL teams are aware of him but probably not factoring him into their draft boards. Obviously he is at least considering coming back.

Won't be shocked one bit if he does elect to go pro but I think there is definitely a chance we get one more year of him roaming around back there and that would be a massive boost to the defense heading into next season.

I think he declares next week. I would guess he gets picked between 60-80 overall

Clearly the decision is not obvious to him or he would already have declared. If he was 100% sure he was going there is no reason not to go ahead and declare. Right now NFL teams are aware of him but probably not factoring him into their draft boards. Obviously he is at least considering coming back.

Won't be shocked one bit if he does elect to go pro but I think there is definitely a chance we get one more year of him roaming around back there and that would be a massive boost to the defense heading into next season.

He will go pro, barring something really unforseen regarding health or an undisclosed injury.

I don't blame him for not announcing it yet, no need to make the the decision until the deadline.

We would be stupid good if AWJ decided to come back. The fan in me wants him to stay and push toward becoming a legend, but he's gotta do what he's gotta do. I'll cry either way.

I think his ceiling is the 2nd round just because of his height. They are going to compare him to Bob Sanders who was a 2nd round pick and Matthieu like said before. I would be shocked if he came back but it all comes down to what the NFL Draft Board is telling him. Guessing his dad is probably talking to people as well from his past. Im guessing he is 80- 20 between going and staying.
They are going to compare him to one person.... Not Bob Sanders or Honey Badger. They are going to compare him to his dad.

He's not going to get any taller. And he can't have a better season.

This is usually a no-brainer.
It all depends what the expert analysis says about where he will go in the draft. If it's not high enough, he won't get as much guaranteed money in his rookie contract as he could otherwise. Long NFL careers are unlikely. You can't expect money beyond your rookie contract.

Have to weigh those odds against the odds of doing something great if he came back, and against getting hurt or doing below average if he came back.

Gotta roll the dice one way or another.

He will go pro, barring something really unforseen regarding health or an undisclosed injury.

I don't blame him for not announcing it yet, no need to make the the decision until the deadline.

You talk like he has already made the decision but if that were the case I honestly believe he would have announced it after the bowl game. The fact that he hasn't tells me there is at least a possibility he comes back for one more year. He has nothing to gain at this point in waiting if he has made the decision.

The only NFL related advantage to coming back might be to prove that he can go two full seasons without major injury, and that's probably outweighed by the risk of another injury that could derail the whole thing. Opting for the NFL seems to be the prudent decision.

I think he's gone

But I also thought we'd lose to Auburn

so....

You talk like he has already made the decision but if that were the case I honestly believe he would have announced it after the bowl game. The fact that he hasn't tells me there is at least a possibility he comes back for one more year. He has nothing to gain at this point in waiting if he has made the decision.

My sense is he was focused on the Outback Bowl, now that is over he will go through with the evaluation process and due to overwhelming factors that will lead him to declare for the draft.

Unlike some others declaring early, I would doubt he needs any cash advances from Agents to get the ball rolling for getting ready for the NFL Combine and Pro Days.

Making the decision and announcing it formally are 2 different things. Furthermore, in the Strib article before Tampa his quote was “So I’m just excited to get out there and play, play one more with my boys.”

Done deal, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Top Bottom